Is nobody interested in Psychology? The study, and attempt to understand Human behaviour, and motivation, and what makes us unique!

leonard1one

Could say a lot. But it's after 5 o clock in the morning. Will just ask. You think, and you have emotions. You enjoy music, you enjoy many things, you dislike things. You are! You have self awareness. You love, and you hate. You are ???. But if there were not the tiny electrical currents firing in your brain, and neurotransmitters being released from millions of synapses, stimulating other synapses there would be no thoughts, no awareness, no conciousness, no you! What is you? What makes you think? Tiny electrical currents firing and neurotransmitters crossing from synapse to synapse. The mind, and the brain. Which is what makes us what we are, or what we think we are. This post relates to Anyone interested in Big Brother. It is mainly intended to be just entertainment. Some would think cheap entertainment. But it works - or doesn't work - on different levels. Nearly 6 in the morning so will bring to a close very interesting subject :) joking. But Psychology is totally facinating.

You are a psychologist Emy?? Interesting! Are you a clinical psychologist? Or a forensic psychologist? Or an educational psychologist? Or an experimental Psychologist? What I'd like to know is what comes first - our thoughts, or electrical impulses firing in the brain, and neurotransmitters being released from millions of synapses, stimulating other synapses. Would also be interested to know the details of the experiment conducted in America quite a few years ago, in which average normal University students volunteered to participate. They were seperated at random to become either prisoners or guards. Within a short time the guards began to behave in a brutal manner towards the prisoners. The prisoners rebelled, and the experiment had to be stopped for ethical reasons. I'm a bit curious what the general meaning of a word used in Psychology means - akatamathesia. I'm not a particulary intelligent individual. But I don't mind that at all. I'm just an ordinary guy who is interested in many things, and enjoy's many things. Very interesting to talk to a Psychologist :)

emy. Accessed your profile. See that you're a person of mystery. But also see that you're saddened by violence - guns and music :( It seems to me that society has become more violent over the years of my life, that I have been old enough to be aware of such things. More young people seem to be drinking more, and more up for starting fights, with no thought of the consequences. There seems to now exist a real knife culture. I'm saddened by that myself. But I guess if you look at history Mankind has always been violent, the males much more than the females obviously. But maybe in some ways it has gotten better. Maybe over the years it will continue to get better. Here's hoping.

Hi JasonB. Long time no speak. Am not 100% sure what you mean. As, as far as I'm aware you can't do a degree in clinical psychology. A degree in psychology is the basis for further study and training to become a clinical psychologist. Psychology is facinating, I think so anyway. If your friend goes back to uni and does a masters, and goes on to become a research psychologist I think they might find it very interesting. Though each to his own. Good luck to him, or her. Human beings are the only animals to enjoy music. Though I did once see on TV a cat sort of dancing to music - or was it? But we are certainly the only animals to have the ? to really enjoy music, and to be able to create music. On that note, could you possibly consider leaving me your hard drive, with all your good tunes, and your vinyl collection to me in your will. Though I'm sure you have many years left in you. Just out of curiosity - do you wear a bullet proof vest? :) Many thanks for your help in getting the Gabrielle Rise remix. I do love it. Would prob have never been able to get it without your help :)

I think my mate did Psychology with Clinical Psychology BSc (Hons)

Would have to be many cdr's of tunes burned off, Id ont back stuff up on hard drives music wise, i cdr it all! but yeah we shall see :lol:

Always a pleasure to help people musically if I am able too.

Thanks JasonB. Get what you're saying now. Since you said it was your mate am assuming he's a guy. I'm sure he knows already. But to become a clinical psychologist also entails having relevant experience in that field. I knew a girl a while back who was continuing in her studies to become a clinical psychologist. As part of gaining her relevant experience she worked part time in a hospital for people with severe psychological challenges. In fact that is a massive understatement. Many of them suffered from brain dysfunction to such a level that they could not comprehend speech, or talk, or move. They were only able to lie in bed. Day after day. Some poor souls were so affected that even being touched would be incredibly distressed. All she could do to relate to them, and maybe give them some form of comfort was to very gently stroke their face or arms. How incredibly and terribly sad. Is heart breaking really. They are human beings, just like you and me. But they'll never experience even the simple things that we take for granted. I believe that psychology is facinating, and to an extent enables you to understand the personalities, behaviour, motivation, etc of our fellow man, and animals. But I don't think that psychology is really particulary effective in a clinical setting. Though maybe many people with difficulties have been helped with them by a clinical psychologist. Cognitive behavioural therapy can be very helpful, if the person receiving it is fully motivated and open to change. Research psychology very very interesting. I'm particulary interested in neuropsychology and pharmopsychology. An interesting experiment once conducted re aggression. If the cebral cortex of an animal is removed it will become totally and permanently extremely aggressive. If a certain area of it's brain is stimulated with a small electrical current it will become extremely aggressive, but just so long as that area is stimulated by the electrical current. I have some ethical concerns with experimenting on animals. Though I don't anthroporphize animals. But aggression is something which is - I think - very important to study and understand. In many ways it is natural and normal in animals, including human beings. It has been part of the evolution of homo sapiens becoming what we are. In well balanced individuals aggression is mostly subliminated and is a powerful driving force behind many constructive tendencies and behaviours. But for to many - I think - it causes violent and destructive behaviour. Anyway. I'm rambling. I once read a post you made in which you said you have over 5,000 tunes on your hard drive. Is a mighty collection. Must have been a lot of work to burn to CD - respect :) You certainly love the music! Who cannot love the music? Plenty of people. My Sister calls it bang bang music :) A lot of the people I see in the Dance Cubs are just there because they are good Clubs. But I think they'd be just as happy if it was chart music playing. Though I would not in any way critize that. So long as people enjoy, but don't intentionally or carelessly harm others. I love Dance music - chill out, house - up to techno - but good techno, not hard techno, it's just an annoying racket. But on occaisions I've gone to Clubs that play mostly just chart music. I could enjoy it, and dance hard. I stood out big time, because everybody else was dancing sort of disco style, and I dance hard. But they were good people. The girls seemed to like it. I usually got a bouncer standing close. Because I danced hard - but not crazy - just put a lot of power and energy into it. Think I'm rambling again. But as you said - it's good to type. Though I actually really hate typing big time. Am using a smart phone with a standard mobile keypad and predictive text. I can write as quickly as a touch typist can type. Many years ago when in second level education I did a bit of office studies. Part of it was learning to touch type. Found it easy enough. But have forgotten it all now. Now I type with two fingers. Is quite laborious. Have thought of learning to touch type, though I.ve never heard of a man being a touch typist. I like to try to be able to write as fast as I think. Though that's not possible for anyone. Tried Dragonspeak - voice recognition software. But seemed to me that you have to speak in a fairly monotone voice, which is difficult for me, as I'm a fairly animated and expressive guy. Got fed up trying to train it. Though I never give up on something I'm interested in, so might have another go. Might have to take a big stick to it. Think you're much more knowledgable about computers than I am. But hard drives? They can last 5 years or more. But they can go at any time. Though I'm sure you've backed up all your important data. You also know much more about the music than I do. I wish I had that knowledge. But I listen to it, I love it, I dance to it. There are so many beautiful tunes out there that I'll never hear. But that's life I guess. Was only joking re leaving me your hard drive and vinyl collection. Though I sort of have a feeling that we have, to a fair extent similar tastes in Dance music. But you've worked hard to build your collection. Guess I'll just have to work hard to build my own collection. Maybe with the generous help of yourself and other members of the JJA Board. I think you all want to share, and give of yourselves :thumbsup:

Hi emy. Thought you were perhaps a mischief maker. Is no bad thing. I have a "normal" sense of humour. But I also have an of the wall quirky sense of humour, and sometimes a dry sense of humour. I don't know you well. But you seem to have a good sense of humour. I'm always up for a laugh and a bit of fun, and I think you are to. But I don't think you are a psychologist :) Though I think you have the right to be whatever you want to be. You are aware of that very well known experiment, to those interested in psychology. But there is more to it than is initally apparent. What happens in the mindset of perfectly ordinary decent human beings, which when they are given the role of "guards" makes them behave in a brutal manner towards their fellow human beings. Who are the "prisoners". Though they know that in reality that they are just ordinary human beings like themselves. But think you might not really be that interested in psychology. So will bore you no further. Akatamathesia? A word used in psychology. It means - in general terms - the loss of the ability to comprehend. But I put a smiley after it. I was only teasing emy. You have character :) As all of the members of the JJA Board do. Keep on loving the music :)

JasonB. 3,000 slabs of vinyl. That is an awesome collection Man. There's something special about vinyl - I think anyway. Are you a DJ? Or do you just love the music so much! Guess if you were to leave me your HHD to me in your will, and unexpectedly die in a random shooting, that I wouldn't really benefit much in that area. Your vinyl? I could not ask you to leave it to me in your will. I'm sure you have some very very good tunes. Many might kill for them. But I can't. Live long and prosper Jason :)

Jason. You must be having a laugh Man :) 83 pages of your vinyl collection. Have only been able to scratch the surface. Though, with your permission I might try, in time to build my own collection with some ideas gained from perusing your own vast collection. Banarama?? I'm not at all sure about :) But one of the first Dance records I ever bought, that springs to mind anyway, was Frankie goes to Hollywood - Relax 12". Though Zang Tum Tum were apparently heavily critized for releasing so many mixes, milking it to the max. Have seen footage of Frankie on the Tube. Wasn't that impressed. But Trevor Horn did a good job producing it using the Fairlight. I think anyway. Got into the Art of Noise, a little bit. Bit of history there. Before your time - maybe. But before my time. Anyway Jason. Will be interesting to look more into your collection. Thanks for the opportunity :) Leonard