Judge Jules R1 show questionaire

Tremor

I also mentioned the bootlegs. My general comments were saying that I still like Jules as a presenter but some of the music in the show has really gone down hill. I said I'd like to see more support of new artists.. and not just unknown artists doing bootlegs but original tunes. Also no need for remixes of classics all the time. I said that the best bit of the show is still the 30 minute mix at the end.

I'm not filling it in because, from past experience, i've learnt that although Jules often says he likes to hear about feedback from his sets, he rarely takes any negativity on board. I've been in clubs where Jules has played a poor set and half emptied a room, yet he's said on his diary that "the crowd were up for it".

Whilst I agree that Jules's taste in music has gone downhill quite a bit since Tristan became his filterer, i'm not entirely convinced Tristan is to blame for it all. Even during Pattersons reign, Jules was playing some truly awful bootlegs that just didn't work, or some tunes that weren't really up to scratch whilst some artists work seemed to be going unnoticed. At the end of the day, Jules has had the power to say "Sorry Tristan, but what you're selecting for me isn't my cupt of tea" - but Jules isn't - he's playing tunes that Tristan is filtering through for him, so that would suggest he likes them. At the end of the day, surely no DJ would play tunes that they don't like - particularly when they're playing twice a night, 3 or 4 nights a week like Jules often does.

In my opinion, the reason I feel that Jules has gone on the decline is for the following reasons:

1. His sets are far too random - no flow at all. You've only got to download his monthly mixes to find a Techy tune being mixed into a floaty, uplifting tune, and then a proggy tune mixed into that, and then a Techy tune back into that again. It kills a dancefloor when there's no flow to a set.

2. Far too many bootlegs - particularly with indie samples or vocals from popular chart songs. They might work well at his smaller gigs at commercial venues where the crowd are less-clued up - but at places like Gatecrasher and Godskitchen, those tunes aren't going to go down well at all.

3. Too much favouritism towards certain artists whilst others are being ignored. A few years ago, Jules ignored all of Richard Durands work - and then all of a sudden, he appeared at Judgement Sundays, he did a co-host on Radio 1, and then Jules started supporting nearly all of his tunes. We've seen that time and time again over the years with various producers. Sometimes, I think Jules only has to see the name of certain artists to make up his mind whether their tunes are going to get a Radio 1 airplay or not - regardless of how good or bad their tune is.

4. Too intoxicated. I think we've all seen Jules DJ'ing after "one too many". There's a difference between having a social drink for fun, and getting too rat-arsed to play. People are paying a lot of money to see Jules play - and he earns more money for a one-and-a-half hour set than most people earn in a month. For that amount of money, he could at least make sure he's fit to do his job - which is to entertain the paying public.