Parklife, Strathclyde Park, 11th Sep 2010

bigsteve

I came out of retirement this weekend!

This event was a stone's throw away from us and was only £20, so the temptation was too much to bear. It was more of a daytime event, 12noon to 10.30pm, so we headed along at around 3pm. Security was very tight, but being so close to Motherwell, that was no surprise :mrgreen: It was a very small site for a 'festival' probably about half the size of a football pitch which made it difficult to find somewhere quietish to sit down and have a few (expensive) drinks to get into the swing of it - £20 for 5 drinks tokens.

So, we chose a spot against a barrier and swiftly had to move due to 2 girls trying to strangle each other. After relocating and topping up with a few more £4 plastic bottles of Fosters, the bass in the main tent (4 'arenas' in all - but I swear that our 4 man tent is bigger than one of the arenas) kicked in. I'd heard a rumour that Gareth Emery was due to start around this time, so investigated. Indeed it was Emery and he played for 2.5 hours. It was a bit up and down, but he played some cracking tunes, including, of course, More Than Anything, which brought the roof down. I recognised quiet a few of his tunes, which for an old-timer who rarely listens to dance music these days, I was delighted at.

A few more scuffles ensued so we headed to the bar, to find they had run out of mixers. Quite annoying as I really fancied a Vodka and Coke. They had also run out of Fosters, so now it was onto cans of Heineken - poured into plastic cups for 'safety reasons'. I informed the barmaid this was going to get spilt, so she told me to be careful. I let her know that it was a festival and unfortunately the majority of attendees hadn't come to be careful, but to fight each other instead. It fell on deaf ears.

Then Simon Patterson came on. He took a few tunes to get into it, but then played a good set for the next hour; some pretty bouncing tunes. I did think that he had very little crowd interaction and could have easily been playing with by himself in his bedroom. Another bar trip during his set saw the bar now out of all types of beer, but someone had been to Asda to buy some Coke. So, we enjoyed a vodka and coke at last.

By this late hour (about 9pm) my aged legs were starting to wilt, but I had the excitement of Jules' set still to come, so we returned to the bar, They were now out of vodka, but after another trip to Asda they now had cans of Fosters - poured into plastic cups. (I didn't waste my breath)

Off back into the main tent and Jules was doing his best at emptying the main tent. I didn't recognise any of the tunes (probably not surprising as I stopped listening to his show about 4 years ago), but they weren't the best it has to be said. However, the mixing was fine, but unfortunately the vast majority of the crowd agreed with me on tune choice and had left. Jules was oblivious, but more intent on taking photos of the few folk left.

We had a single drinks token left, so not wishing to waste it, returned to the bar where it was now vodka again - but no mixers. Oh well, waste not want not. We shared it between us and left at the ungodly hour of 10.15pm.

Can't say I'd recommend this to event to anyone, but Emery was worth seeing for £20.

Nice to do a review again - I sincerely hope it isn't my last :boohoo:

Steve! Fantastic to see you back - I've no doubt once you get involved in streaming some more of the audio on here you'll be bitten once again ;)

I rate Gareth Emery highly and the one time I've seen him he was brilliant. What was with all the fighting at this event then? Unusual for a Dance event.