New member pops in to say Hi :)

Stevedude2

Hi all,

Just joined up and thought I'd post to say what a great forum this is, with plenty of like-minded individuals dedicated to the cause.

My era for listening to Judge Jules on Radio 1 would be roughly 1997-2001 and I have fond memories of some of the stuff I recorded on tape during this time (and wish I'd kept).

The first show I recorded was probably one of my all-time favourites, from 1997 I think, and although I've forgotten most of it one of the stand-out tracks I do remember was Judge Jules' mix of Trevor Reilly's 'Down with the Underground', which I've yet to track down anywhere. I also recall Treat Infamy by Rest Assured being in there too, with a 'Choose Life...Choose Judge Jules on Radio 1' jingle played over part of it. The whole show was great though - I wish I'd remember more track names.

I also recall a show where the last half-hour mix or even the show itself began with Toddy Terry - Ready for a New Day (Rhythm Masters mix), which I thought was a cracking tune at the time and still do.

But probably the best memory for me was hearing Ayla for the first time. I was totally blown away by it. And also Binary Finary as well. They may have been in the same half-hour mix at the end of a show; Ayla right at the start and Binary Finary at the very end. Absolutely fantastic times :)

Some of the white labels and unknown tracks were very good and I used to buy CD's quite often with tunes on that I recognised, always secretly hoping that some of these missing tracks would be on there too, but even if they weren't I'd discover some other stuff anyway.

I have good memories of some of the other great tunes I discovered from the shows -

Travel - Bulgarian

System F - Out of the Blue

Joshua Ryan - Pistol Whip (James Holden mix) - when I first heard this I forgot to record it and spent a week worrying that I'd never hear it again!

Gouryella - Gouryella

Great stuff all round :)

All the best, and keep up the good work!

Steve

Welcome to this place mate! It's great to see that I was not the only person that used to record Jules's shows, at the time I thought it may have been a "bit sad". So glad I did now, got so much audio still to provide this site :)

You've got some great taste by the way, that Trevor Reilly tune is FANTASTIC, as is Get Ready For A New Day, and the others go without saying!! :)

Edited by Simcut

Welcome Steve sir

Really good to read people's insight into 'discovering' that magic era even so long ago. It was a special time and it's so good to gather up some fragments of the past on here, both personally and musically. :)

Joshua Ryan - Pistol Whip (James Holden mix) - when I first heard this I forgot to record it and spent a week worrying that I'd never hear it again!

Done this before, I think it was Love Inc - C'mon (It's only Love) (Coast2Coast Remix) which Jules only played once. I never found out what it was but miraculously Dangerous Dave slipped it into a mix the following Sunday on Dance Anthems, naming the wrong remixer but least I had a clue where to search. Never ever heard it again!

I saw this at my local all them years back and bought it without hearing it just because of the coast 2 coast remix, they'd been doing cracking remixes at the time.

Still one of my fave tracks ever, never knew either Jules or Dave had played it! (well dave would've as he signed it but still.. you get what I mean).

Sadly I used to record KISS shows back when it was proper dance and no one else was playing dance music really. Annoyingly I'd pause the recording between tunes to cut out DJ chit chat.... Now I've many an unnamed tune to identify from that and from the clubbing too.

But you can't beat the feeling of finally finding THAT tune!!

Oh and Hi new people. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody...my name's lawrence

I've stumbled upon some of judge jules earlier sets by accident back in 2007 (the first one i think was an essential mix from 1998 ).Listening to it was a real treat because it remind me of the days i was a kid.This genre is very similar to what i was accustomed to since i was born in 1991.Anyway,my dad "exposed" me to music from when i was 1 year old since he had been a local dj mostly playing dance music from the 80's and 90' commercial stuff and non-commercial alike.Since then i have been listening to many genres like rock(progressive,alternative,heavy metal,power metal,balads)...classical music (mozart,vivald,especially johann strauss)..trance(progressive and hard).From industrial techno to soft romantic songs,I've also listened to electronic songs made by kraftwerk,jean michelle jarre ,koto.Next i've stumbled upon the d'n'b genre ...first songs were from the prodigy ...then pendulum ...after that i went to hip hop. After 2004 i've began listening to progressive house music ...then came minimal (mostly techno) and now i've been spoiled by tech house.Nowadays i mostly listen to underground stuff ranging from techno minimal to chicago house and progressive house,rarely adding to the playlist some old song i'm sure you all know from Queen to Modern Talking.

All in all i like rhythmic songs which one can dance to ...also melodic ones and powerfull songs with vibrating sounds also in a clear distinctive rhythm.

Although i don't know much about judge jules....i like his sets and continue to look for them because they brought up good memories.

:D

I'm glad that i've found you guys and wish you all the best!

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow lots of new faces. It's great to see more people getting involved in the discussions. This board is a fantastic resource for archived audio and ID'ing tracks through the tracklistings but it's also a place for great friendly discussion and reminiscing. Look forward to chatting to some more of you on here.

• 1 month later...

hey all, just joined the site last night, was a great fan of jules from 98 till 03. first mix i ever heard was at soundcity 98 newcastle, i was hooked after that mix, still to this day i go back and play it, all the old parties i used to go to wouldnt be complete untill someone popped a jules mix into the tape deck! i always had plenty off old tapes and recordings especially the live mixes, last night i found the id of this track i was looking for and been playing it nonstop on you tube! so keep up the good work!!!

hey all, just joined the site last night, was a great fan of jules from 98 till 03. first mix i ever heard was at soundcity 98 newcastle, i was hooked after that mix, still to this day i go back and play it, all the old parties i used to go to wouldnt be complete untill someone popped a jules mix into the tape deck! i always had plenty off old tapes and recordings especially the live mixes, last night i found the id of this track i was looking for and been playing it nonstop on you tube! so keep up the good work!!!

All the hard work in putting this site together makes it worthwhile for posts like this :) Glad you got the tune ID after so long, and welcome to the board!