The Con - Dem nation!

Number2Fan

I dont wish to be funny but what is this chip on your shoulder that you have with the Tories? Labour got us into this mess, so you should be pissed off with them!

I have no chip. I believe they are a party for the rich and that they serve the rich and their wealthy puppet masters. If it wasn't for the Labour Government most on here would be earning £3-4 an hour.

On a side note (and this may prove contentious) I'm bloody glad that they have slashed funding for 'the arts'. I see that as pure luxury and 'arts' types will find the money to put on productions and such anyway.

(I know it's not that simple but I'm happy about it)

Although you cannot imagine how I was better off under Labour, how exactly are you all better off under the Tory government

I'm not better off now than I was a year ago. I also doubt the situation would be much different if Labour were still in power. Not saying it would be worse either, I don't really know. I agree with others though that they were the ones in power over the last decade or so over which the country has gone to pot really so for me it was time to give someone else a chance.

The thing is I don't look at it thinking why aren't I better off under the new government? Why should we always think we should be better off? We are in a crap situation that needs to be dealt with so I am prepared for things to be tough for a few years. I don't see the point in letting it get me down because its inevitable and there is nothing I can do to change it so I accept it and get on with life. Hopefully things will improve a few years down the line but who knows. The problem is most governments are all the same - they promise things they can't actually stick to so it's very hard to know who to vote for really.

I think the biggest difference between the current government and what Labour would have done is that Labour planned to reduce the deficit gradually whereas the current incumbents are going hell for leather to eradicate it quickly.

I think the biggest difference between the current government and what Labour would have done is that Labour planned to reduce the deficit gradually whereas the current incumbents are going hell for leather to eradicate it quickly.

I think the current government wants you to believe this. In reality it is a Tory government following Tory ideology.

That's the one thing I am against - all the sudden cuts. I believe the cuts were needed - but not as suddenly as they've been done. They came into power and within a month, they were making people redundant - rather than consulting and investigating for 2-3 months first and then cutting out the crap on a 'priority' basis.

On the other hand, Labour were doing things far too slowly and the debt was just getting bigger and bigger.

I don't have any preference over any party - I vote for who I feel is right at the time (unlike some people that are loyal to one party forever, regardless - i've never really got that. They're not football teams - these are people that have a huge control over our lives).

I've voted Labour in the past - but last time I voted different because I felt we needed change - and thats what we've got. If I feel Labour are right again in the future, then i'll vote for them if that feels the right thing at the time (it certainly won't be while Milliband is in power because he's even less convincing than Brown was).

I actually think Labour meant well - I just don't think they had the right people (people with brains) in the right places and they focused far too much on statistics rather than actual jobs done.

Labour need a damn good shake-up behind the scenes and a serious sit-down to think what their long-term plans are, and for the current government, they just need to be left alone to focus on the task ahead without people comparing to the Thatcher era. Its 2011 now - the 80's was 30+ years ago - move on.

I'll admit, it doesn't look great for those who currently claim benefits (have only looked at a glance). I used the BBC budget calculator thingy and personally it reckons I'll be about £200 better off as a result of the budget. This is basically because I am single and earn below the threshold for higher tax rate.

Yeah except everything you buy to eatis more expensive.

That £200 will be like pissing in the wind.

And I'd just like to make this clear now, just in case, not just at you Tremor, I do not claim benefits, I work. Currently I do get tax credit because I work and have 3 children, i don't think that's a benefit though?

If it is then sorry. :)

Actually I'm pretty certain I'd be better off getting the sack and then claiming my rent, council tax, tax credit, child benefit for 3, free school dinners for 3, free milk, fruit and veg vouchers, free prescriptions, free dental treatment, free adult education courses, plus money to live on and the freedom to not have to make sure I budget and get everyone paid. Just the school dinners comes to £120 a month, and hey with no job who needs a cars.

Quids in !!!

It's all just spiel. People on benefits won't give a toss, it's not like they'll have to work extra hours is it.

Rich people can afford a bit of belt tightening.

But those of us who have been working really hard just to stay afloat, will sink.

Rich people can afford a bit of belt tightening.

But those of us who have been working really hard just to stay afloat, will sink.

I have to say something here, dame Cheese! This implies that rich people don't work hard. Obviously, there's a grand grand grand scale here depending on what you define as 'rich', but if we exclude the outrageously super-rich (The Abramovich's and Bill Gates's of this world), I would say that's a grossly unbalanced statement. It's one thing aspiring to earn more (who doesn't?), but another to be jealous :) And earning more doesn't necessarily mean you will be happier; you simply change your benchmark again. I don't anybody who is happy with their 'lot'.

Robert Peston's videos are quite interesting:

"What is Money?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0073kkv

"Why some people are paid so much more than you."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0073kxs

I see what you're saying Quadrant and I don't think I'm jealous of the well off.

My sister is married to a man who earns money I could only dream about. They're not super rich, but if I'm in a shop with my sister, she's not having to worry about the fiver in her purse being the last fiver for the whole household til the next week. And altho her food shop, petrol etc has gone up too, and she might have to trim a few things down, she will still be able to have a comfortable life. Even though her teenage son, may not be able afford uni now either.

Despite everyone saying 'in a few years it'll be better'

why? Will petrol go down, will VAT go down, will tuition fees be capped again, will I suddenly get 4 yrs worth of payrises?

It won't be better. Sorry about the rants, but I just can't see any light at the end of the tunnel, and it's depressing.

I'm well aware alot of richer people work hard and why they get paid accordingly. I do mingle. :)

I see what you're saying Quadrant and I don't think I'm jealous of the well off.

You do seem to have a chip on your shoulder about something though, so i'm not sure if thats true - I think there is a bit of jealousy.

No offence, but you're moaning about being worse off, yet you've dismissed two extra amounts of money where we'll be better off this year - the £200 you described as "pissing in the wind" plus the other £45 in tax relief. How much are you expecting to be given exactly if £245 extra in your pocket isn't good enough? £500, £1000, £2000? You've said your childrens school meals come to £125 per month - so the extra money that you've dismissed pays for 2 months worth of school meals.

At the end of the day, you work, your partner works, and you get a benefit to help too - so you're better off than a lot of people.

If you're claiming that you really are struggling that much still, then i'm sorry, but you must have been living far too closely to what you could afford anyway.

You're coming across as really ungrateful and seem to think that the government/tax payer owes you something.

No I give them packed lunches now actually.

My point was that people on benefits are not worse off.

I'm jealous of people with bigger boobs than me, I'm not jealous of people who work hard and earn more.

All I'm saying is when you already live on the bread line, there's only a certain amount of cutting down you can do.

Maybe I do sound ungrateful for such immense tax relief, I actually am, as it is still pissing in the wind.

I think you are being a little hard on Cheese. I see her point: those on benefits are no better or worse off whilst those on an average working wage are worse off with the increase in rent, food and fuel costs.

I was only making a point earlier that personally it was interesting that the calculator came up with being £200 better off. I was just trying to be positive. Cheese, I wasn't inferring that you claim benefits. It was an observation that in general it seems to be all the benefits and tax relief stuff that is being cut. Since I personally receive none of these then thats why this whole situation is not affecting me as much as some. I know that you and your partner both work hard and can totally understand that supporting a family at the moment would be a struggle. I'm sure lots of people are in that situation and I know it's not easy for many people. I was really just making the observation that if you are single and don't have kids to worry about, you potentially wont feel the crunch as much.

• 1 month later...