Royal Wedding

kml

If he's prepared to play "Somebody Scream" samples at a club like Godskitchen, then I wouldn't rule anything out! :lol:

It baffles me when he does things like that, I mean really does he expect anyone to think that is in any way, shape or form something that people want to hear?

Maybe in an Oceana type dive but I've seen him do it at PaSSion too :facepalm:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would anybody, anywhere wanna hear that in the middle of a tune they like and soooo many times too!!

The worst thing I ever heard him do was at Global in 2004. He was playing an awful set so I said 'OK we'll give him one more tune then we're off home' (it was post 6am).

He played Airscape 'Sosei' - My faith was restored, Jules you legend!

Then it all went sour and he played (repeatedly) the accapella from OnePhatDeeva 'In & Out' over the breakdown, which is just a gorgeous breakdown.

I left immediately and he's never been the same again!

Lol I fully understand.

He was doing it in Brighton really ott and altho I could hardly hear anything I knew when he was dropping a jingle coz whoever I was next to at the time was pulling a face and asking, ' WTF is all that about'

So I dunno who he does it for? Or why?

I don't get it either.

I was on holiday in Majorca a couple of years ago, and the music there is fairly commercial - so we decided to head to BCM to see Jules. I wasn't really expecting much (which is good really because his set was pretty dire compared to when I saw him in 2005 at the same club - which was one of the best sets ever that i've heard him do). The whole set was littered with "Somebody scream", "Make some noise" and "Judge Jules is in the house" samples - not just occasionally, but constantly throughout the set. I left early because I couldn't stand it any more - those jingles got no crowd reaction at all - and to be honest, it just makes Jules look silly and you can't take him seriously as a DJ. Could you imagine if Armin or Sander van Doorn played samples like that? They'd be ridiculed forever over it.

After reading a recent interview somewhere, Jules stated that he now requests a third deck as standard as part of his contractual requirements solely for playing those samples on - so they're not going away yet!

There's no point emailing Jules about how poor they are because the standard "Well the crowd seemed to love it" response will be sent back - and to be honest, I no longer care because I gave up with Jules 2 years ago. I just can't take him seriously any more with his dodgy bootlegs, shoddy 'scratching' and looping, butchered edits, and lack of flow/creativity in his mixes.

Sorry Jules, you are, and always be a legend - but its time to give up the 'proper' clubs and stick to the Luminar/commercial clubs. You're out of touch with the 'proper' clubbers.

This is the thing though, I wonder is he surrounding himself with too many 'yes' men. As you said, get on to him about it and he'll say how the crowd seemed to love it. Someone else on this forum brought up another good point, they'd been at sets Jules played and they were dire and devoid of atmosphere, yet read Jules' diary, and he'll go on about how fantastic it was. I genuinely think he's asking people for re-assurance to himself, and they're too afraid of getting chucked off the gravy train to tell him, 'you know what mate, the crowd really didn't take well to.. blah blah'

As Briggsy said, maybe it's time he just admitted he's not now a trance dj, or maybe time some promoters started getting tougher with him. If his more credible bookings started putting pressure on him, he'd maybe take a step back and re-evaluate what he gives as a dj, and who he really is aiming to please as a crowd. But, as mentioned, as long as 'The crowd seemed to really love it', i doubt things will change. I think it was Number2 fan who said she saw him at a gig last year, and he played some Black Eyed Peas shit, and it stunk the place out, and she looked at him and said 'Why?'. He simply shrugged and said 'Why not?' That made me shudder.

Anyway, erm, i'm Irish so have no opinion on the royal wedding (just to throw something on-topic in!)

I just feel that he really is deluded and out of touch now. I remember him playing at Magna for Gatecrasher a couple of years ago - the dancefloor went from being full, to half capacity - yet Jules put in his diary "the crowd seemed to be up for it".

Well I was there and the people around me were all saying "what the f***" when he tried to scratch - then he did some drawn out looping which sounded dire.

There is no way that "the crowd were up for it".

Wish no offence to anyone who is still into Judge Jules, and this is the JJA. But I think he's still around Just because he is a big name, and was good in his day. But time moves on. Things change. Everything has it's time and place. Everything! He has done good. But I think his time is over. He should wake up to that fact. But people often hang on to what they had, and delude themselves that they still have it. But I think it's maybe time for him to step aside, be thankful for what he had, and make way for the up and coming, for the new. Like I said, Everything has it's time.

I think ( apart from the jingles ) he has just adapted himself to stay DJing as he does just love DJing. He's still got fans even tho we're not into him nowadays, he is still popular.

I'm afraid the jingles I just don't get them at all. Nobody actually likes them, perhaps one or two is ok but talking to any of his crowd, even Dave Pearces fans really don't like them.

But I think he's still around Just because he is a big name, and was good in his day.

Agreed! As i've said before, he's only getting big gigs because he's still on Radio 1 and a household name. Once he gets shown the door at Radio 1, his big gigs will dry up and he'll just end up playing small venues and perhaps the odd classics set for the big brands such as Gatecrasher.

Rampling and Fontaine went off the radar when their Radio 1 career ended - and Eddie has struggled for the last 2 years too (he gets big gigs still, but is getting lots of negative feedback at the moment) - and the same will happen to Jules.

Pearce is slightly different because he always was a Luminar/commercial-type DJ anyway because the majority of his gigs were "dance anthems" labelled gigs - although when he played a 'proper' Trance set, his taste in music was actually better than Jules's.

Seb Fontaine is still a busy and very good DJ though?

He's still around yeah - but he rarely gets the Crasher/Cream/Godskitchen/MoS gigs that he used to get - unless they're classics sets.

Once upon a time, he was a crowd-puller on his own - whereas now, he'd struggle to pull in punters unless there was another good headliner on with him.

Jules will be the same once his Radio 1 career has ended. He'll always pull crowds at smaller commercial venues - but he won't be a crowd puller at 'superclubs' like Godskitchen, etc (in fact, i'd say those days have already gone anyway judging by the amount of people that moan on forums when they see his name on a line-up)

Fontaine still does pretty well he just changed his sound and went really deep and more tech-house.

Regardless of our thoughts Jules is still a crowd puller - he may clear the dance floor sometimes (largely when he's on a big night with credible DJs and a credible crowd) but have him as headliner in a more commercial venue and he will pack the place out better than most DJs could. He has clout - he's just run out of good ideas.

I also agree with the 'yes men' comment and feel it could be a problem. His diary reports are still good reading and you have to accept that all DJs (bar Askew who is a legend) sugarcoat their diaries so that they create good press and get repeat bookings.

Lol yeah could you imagine if they wrote, 'last Friday was shit, couldn't mix for toffee, cleared the dancefloor with my second choon and got too pissed to remember the rest...'

Askew does! He's a legend - he says what he thinks!

In one of his diaries last year, he said the event was shit and he didn't want to play there again! haha

Askew does! He's a legend - he says what he thinks!

In one of his diaries last year, he said the event was shit and he didn't want to play there again! haha

I remember that, then the following month he wrote about someone commenting on what he had written - it was hilariously frank and honest.

He doesn't seem to write them much anymore - the site only links to about 2 or 3 paragraphs for me :(

I remember that, then the following month he wrote about someone commenting on what he had written - it was hilariously frank and honest.

He doesn't seem to write them much anymore - the site only links to about 2 or 3 paragraphs for me :(

Ha ha! I went and checked these out after reading about it here. The newer ones aren't up to much, but the older ones are gold! Click on the 'select a blog' dropdown on the right mate. The older ones are there. I've spent about an hour reading them all.

http://www.djjohnaskew.com/blog-ocelot-col6.php

Ha ha! I went and checked these out after reading about it here. The newer ones aren't up to much, but the older ones are gold! Click on the 'select a blog' dropdown on the right mate. The older ones are there. I've spent about an hour reading them all.

http://www.djjohnaskew.com/blog-ocelot-col6.php

Yeah I've read all of the old ones (someone used to post them on the Hardwick board straight away) but the new ones are pretty boring in comparison

Think all the well established DJ's that everybody knows of will soon enough fade away - hopefully gracefully - knowing there time has passed. I'm looking for the new, the alternative, the future! I think Dance will become more Techno influenced. It's evolution. Adapt and thrive. Or be left behind! There's definately no need for all the jingles. We come to dance. Not listen to jingles.

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't watch one f****** second of it! I've got a life of my own, and have better things to do than watch two people who I don't know at all getting married. How f****** sad! Have heard from a sad person that prince william was dressed in his military uniform, and apparently seen duty in the present mess that the UK has been caught up - hanging on the coat tails of the USA. Though I sort of have a feeling that he was never ever near the frontline. Men as good, or maybe better, have lost their lives, or limbs and have been on the frontline. There's no day when all the TV coverage is about them is there! Get your f****** heads straight1