Thinking of getting an iPhone 4...

Neuro

o2 have told me I can upgrade and I think it's time to trade in my classic 'unlocked' Nokia X3 for something a little more modern. I am thinking a smartphone - probably an iPhone. But I'm concerned how much people pay for these devices!

My costs currently, on a Simplicity deal (now no longer available)is as follows: Rolling 1 month contract - 300 anytime mins, free o2-o2 calls, unlimited texts - £10 a month. +£3 Australia bolt-on (I occasionally call/text there). So that's £13 a month I pay currently. I've had the Nokia for ages and it has never let me down - I've dropped it out of windows, left it in the rain, forced Spanish and Aussie sim cards in it... I've even spilt a whole gin over it, and it's lapped up the abuse loyally and still plodded away for me.

From what I can see, if I want an iPhone, I will have to pay perhaps double my currently monthly cost (for 100 mins and 500 texts +500MB data +wifi), and either buy the phone new (sim-free) for £550 or try and wrangle it with o2 to upgrade me - I think this would still cost me about £300 as a one-off to get the phone. And then there's the monthly cost.

So what to do? Is it worth getting? What's the battery life like? Is the screen glass or plastic? Would HTC or another option be better? I don't mind paying £20 a month these days but anything more than £25 I think is a bit much.

Thoughts much appreciated! iPhone lovers' and haters' opinions all welcome :)

nokia_x3-203789.jpg

iphone4.jpg

Do it!

They're amazing.

The only people who dislike them seem to not want one coz they dislike apple.

The only downsides of the phone are that you can't have your own made ringtones and you can't Bluetooth unless it's to another apple device as far as I can tell.

The samsung galaxy s or it's latest friend are pretty good too btw. And are a fair bit cheaper than the iPhone deals if cost is bothering you. :)

have used also the latest HTC and it's just f****** annoying. Used the same apps on all the phones I mentioned and the HTC lags and the screen is awful and so it the touchscreen on the LG equivalents.

My screen on this is glass and it's totally fluid and amazing.

If you do find you need more battery life due to high usage you can get a battery pack pretty reasonably and problem solved. ;)

i sold my iphone 4 mainly cos i was bored of it (having owned previous iphones) and it was the worst mistake i made!!

i currently own a HTC desire HD and its shockingly bad, terrible battery life, crap interface and i dont like it.

I cant afford to buy another iphone 4 outright and my contracts not up til; december, so im looking at getting a blackberry.

All i say is do it if your getting a good offer.

one thing to point out though, you mention you've put aussie sim cards etc inside it, beware that the iphone 4 doesnt take a regular full size sim card - it uses a Micro Sim Variety which is smaller than a normal full size sim, see pic

Convert-SIM-To-MicroSIM.jpg

I finally took the plunge with iPhone 4 last summer just after its release having only ever had very simple phones before. I can't really compare to other smart phones as I've not used them. I think it's great personally but you are right about the costs. At the time I think Tesco were offering a £20 per month contract for 24 months but the up front cost of the phone was pretty high. I ended up going with three... 500 minutes, 1000 3 to 3 minutes, 5000 texts, 1GB internet for £30 a month.

Battery can last me a couple of days but I dont use mine too intensively.

Yeah Three is not the best. I used to stick up for them a lot having used them for years but I must say I've found coverage to be bad in certain places especially since getting iPhone. Locked in for over a year still though. I hate these 24 month contracts... its too long. The other problem is iPhone 5 is likely to come out over the summer I would imagine. Maybe check that otherwise you'll be out of date almost as soon as you've bought iPhone 4.

Ian - interesting about the sim card sizes. Apple are crafty aren't they - whoever came up with that idea?

I am going to phone up tomorrow and see what o2 offer and then will go away and consider. If I get the iPhone then the Nokia will be in the drawer ready to be whipped out when I'm abroad and throwing in a local sim.

I'm a blackberry guy. I just dont dig iPhones. I see them as very gimmicky, the people that i know that have one, always have problems with as a....yes, a PHONE! yes the apps rule, the screen resolution awesome, but it sucks as a phone, and thats what puts my off them. I also dislike apple's restricting policies.

I like the look of the HTC HD7, windows phone 7 is a nice os, thats what i'll get next i think, when my contract is up.

• 2 weeks later...

Apple are bad. They always tie you in to this or that, and are money grabbing bastards, not that Microsoft aren't. As far as I know battery life is not great on I phones - but I can't in all honesty tell you which smart phone has a reasonable battery life. I'm looking around to upgrade myself Neuro. Any advice to Neuro would be appreciated by myself. But so far very few smart phones have been referred to. Some android phones that I have looked at seem to be ok, eg. the Galaxy S. But I know that there are some good phones due out over the next few months.

I'm sort of tired waiting for them, and then they turn out to be rubbish.

I am sort of tempted to get an I phone 4. Though my instinct says no. But Cheese say's get an I phone 4. If I get an I phone 4 and am not very very impressed by it then I will not love you anymore Cheese! Actually, I would forgive you. But is there anyone out there who can give sound and reliable advice? I don't want to settle for second best. In fact I'm going to ask Jason - who is a master googler and oracle. Though he's still only a mere mortal.