Words etched on vinyl

Number2Fan

Just listening to some old Depeche Mode B-sides and it reminded me of when I was a teenager and my friend and I were very excited by the fact that some of our records had little non-sensical sentences scratched into the inner rims.

We thought it was an amazing secret at the time, much like when we played our records backwards etc. (teenagers eh)

Anyway I was reminded of this and unfortunately this time 'google was not my friend) so anyone here noticed this stuff, or can shed any light on it? :)

As Ian said, the etch in the run-out groove is done when the vinyl is cut. 90% of the time it's to help them differentiate the A side and B side before the label gets attached. Other times you'll see messages such as "Dan's masterpiece", or a signature even, but even then the A/B side is usually mentioned.

On my vinyl of Sheer Brilliance - 'Dont Be Afraid of My Love' - well known Jules-played bootleg from 1999 - they didn't bother with all that so all that's etched in the run-out groove on both sides is "IT'S JUST SHEER BRILLIANCE!!". I like that :)

Can't believe the first one I pulled out today was Stone Roses - Elephant Stone and it say's

a porky prime cut :D

The Charlatans - the only one I know says

(second record I pulled out btw)

There is no message only pure politics :)

I feel an entire evening of record playing has just begun.

Inspiral Carpets - joe Says "FANCY A SHAG? lol :D

Clearly my eyesight was far better at 15 than it is now, spent the afternoon playing some oldies and squinting at the run outs for ages only to discover many of them are just bloody reference numbers etched in by machine. :(

I'm looking forward to any that anyone else puts up though..

Seems to me that the 7"s have special messages more than the 12's too.

My punk ones are heavily political...only have half a doz dance/trance ones. Spoiled and Ziego's 'More and More' has 'I only want more' and on the other side 'and more and more'...

Have a Soft Cell 12 inch of 'Memorabilia' which has ' A FIN A FINISH A FINNYFISH' on the B side....:huh:

I think we're missing the really important thing here! Cheese. You listened to records played backwards. Everybody knows that the devil speaks to your unconscious mind in that way. You are probably a lost soul. I fear that there is no way of saving you from eternal fire and damnation. But! As I am the Chosen One! A Living God! I can save you. It will involve you having to give a few sexual favours - that's just the way it works - but it will save you from the eternal torment of hell. Those demons do bad things that you probably wouldn't like. But it's totally up to you Cheese. Apologies to everyone for going a bit of topic - not off topic. But I feel I should give Cheese the opportunity for redemption.

Cheese. It's an accepted fact that women's brains are smaller than men's brains. If women work their we brain to hard it becomes overheated and doesn't work very well. If you look at my last post on this topic and think about the wording - without letting your we brain overheat - you will see that my use of of and off were totally correct. Read it carefully. Though it's not important, just a bit of fun.

I guess you don't want to be saved from the everlasting torment of hell. But I'm going to save you anyway, and I'll not expect certain sexual favours - though really that's usually the done thing.

Don't want to spoil the madness, which I enjoy. But have to say to you that I'm actually a normal guy with a totally of the wall sense of humour. I like to live on the edge, take it to the max. Though I've been mostly quite restrained on the JJA.

In saying that I think I've ruined it. But I think that pretty everyone on the JJA is really pretty sensible and tame. Though you and a few of the guys have had your moments, which I thought were very very funny. Life needs a little/lot of fun, if you can make it, or find it. Think you need to get out your dictionary Cheese ;) Got you totally wrong on physical appearance. Am never usually wrong. But maybe didn't think hard enough about it. I can be a lazy Living God sometimes. You can sometimes take it for granted that you're the Chosen One. Though your we brain won't understand :)

That's the way of the World! Live with it! Or ask Neuro to ban me. That's not a problem. I can just join with a new user name, and e mail address. We had a couple of run ins when I first joined. You said recently that you didn't hold grudge's. Didn't seem totally sincere to me. But I left it. Sorry man. But nobody tells me what's right or what's wrong. You're entitled to your view. Will listen to it and give it thought. But in the end I will decide what I think is right.

So much for each copy of Blue Monday having a different word then.

What I meant was the 1st batch of pressing say e.g. 10,000 had one thing etched into the run out, the second batch of pressings (repress) had something else, I know this as I spotted a copy at a bootsale that had a different run out etch to my copy!

Also the different batches/pressings can be differentiated by the sleeve, some had a black inner sleeve, some had a disco bag paper sleeve.

If you look here: http://www.discogs.com/New-Order-Blue-Monday/master/3297

There are countless duplicate copies of the Factory original release (FAC 73) UK release, but all as seperate entries because even thought the tracks on each copy are identical the packaging/sleeves and/or the run out etchings are not.