It's All Over!

Max Kane

Ladies & Gentlemen...

It finally happened, the final credible 'big name' trance DJ (Markus Schulz) has finally joined the trend of whoring one's self through hip-hop crossover & has unleashed this piece of shit unto the masses...

Having followed Markus for many years I hate to say it but I'm done, his recent sound changes alienated my tastes but this is too far.

What the hell is he thinking?!

Go easy on Him.... He is a Legend in Trance. he has done all there is to do in Trance. What more do want him to Do.

I Think that this Crossover track Sleepwalkers.. is not a bad track. a little watered down i will agree....

But when you stand back a look at it from another Angle........... legendary markus trance master on one side Then you have

Hip hop legend Grandmaster mele mel who did White lines, wow ....

My favourite track from master markus is Perfect which he did a little while back...............is Classic compare to this well hated track so you say. Time will tell if it grows on you.....

I think he Has just Fused together Wait for it .........Hip-Trance I think he has just put the icing on the cake....

Dont be angry with him Just wish him well,,, :thumbsup:

It's hard to wish him well when what most of us would be equally in agreement with, is that he is capable of the quality trance that is sadly becoming more and more of a rarity these days, and just seems happy to chase the much easier to make, though much, much more lucrative commercial dollar.

Pardon me if I'm not overly happy that yet more top djs sell their souls like Tiesto and Armin, Oakey before, once a ticket to the charts and a blank cheque was waved under their nostrils..

There's a rather lengthy facebook post from the man himself stating that the two rappers in question are 'idols' and other associative emotive pleadings.

Like I say I understand why he may have done it but that does not disguise the fact that it's terrible

I have been listening to Markus the last 3 years, his sound has definitely changed over the last year or so. He incoporates more house tracks at the start of his sets. This "Sleepwakers" video is absolutely terrible. The track itself is not too bad.

I reckon Markus best production is "Jester Music Featuring Lavoie - Dressed in White (Markus Schulz Coldharbour Remix)", absolute stormer of a tune!

I have been listening to Markus the last 3 years, his sound has definitely changed over the last year or so. He incoporates more house tracks at the start of his sets. This "Sleepwakers" video is absolutely terrible. The track itself is not too bad.

I reckon Markus best production is "Jester Music Featuring Lavoie - Dressed in White (Markus Schulz Coldharbour Remix)", absolute stormer of a tune!

I have to say that I totally disagree with this!

Markus made his name by playing progressive house music throughout his sets - this has virtually dissapeared now & he's almost Armin-lite.

I can accept that he has had to go more peaktime (due to rising popularity and booking slots) but it still pains me that he doesn't play the music that made him great.

Production wise he hasn't done anything (under his own name) of note for years. The first Dakota album was excellent but this new one is against everything he told us Dakota would be about. The darker, more intricate and interesting side of his sound.

Most of the new Dakota tracks are just the same style he puts on albums but without vocals. :(

To be honest the Do You Dream album was a massive dissappointment in my opinion. Pure shite tracks like "Away" and "Surreal" After all he is part of David Lewis agency the same agency responsible for the shite like Emery and Armin.

His World Tour Broadcasts from 2009 were much better.

Dakota- Doorway is a classic

It's funny that Markus has started playing some trance stuff with progressive and also some crazy techy nonsense, when he was pure prog a few years back he was superb, he still plays some good tunes on his stuido radio shows but his world tour sets are a bit boring, he seems to stick to certain tracks for too long

I said on Facebook that I didnt like this track, and I got jumped on by a few members who accused me of not being a 'true fan' and a 'true fan' would support this track, bollocks I say, the track is shit, I appreciate he did it because he wanted to work with his idols, but it still sounds awful, let's hope it's a one-off.

I'm struggling to see what the problem is really - he's made it clear that its just a bit of fun and just something he wanted to do to work with his idols from years ago.

Its a bit of fun - its not like he's churning out tons of these things so that they become the backbone of his set - unlike mr O'Riordan who would probably see something like this as a floor filler at the MoS.

The original 'dub' version is there for those that want it.

I said on Facebook that I didnt like this track, and I got jumped on by a few members who accused me of not being a 'true fan' and a 'true fan' would support this track, bollocks I say, the track is shit, I appreciate he did it because he wanted to work with his idols, but it still sounds awful, let's hope it's a one-off.

My thoughts exactly mate - these pissy fanboys are so incredibly annoying.

They follow DJs & Producers blindly - regardless of quality. "True" fans know when something is rubbish and speak up about it.

@Briggsy - I think he's only said that due to the backlash. In one post on the forum he even stated that he was aiming for 'radio play' and that this track may 'address the issues you guys have with bookings and timeslots'. How to contradict yourself in one sentence! (him not you btw)

@Briggsy - I think he's only said that due to the backlash. In one post on the forum he even stated that he was aiming for 'radio play' and that this track may 'address the issues you guys have with bookings and timeslots'. How to contradict yourself in one sentence! (him not you btw)

Its sad that once DJs break into the top 10, they feel the need to 'sell out' and start going down the commercial route too in the hope that it will help get them to the number 1 poll position. Armins done it, PvD has done it, Tiesto has done it more than anyone, A&B too.

I wish they'd just settle for what they've got and be content at that.

It's proof that the Dj's [...] are in it to become big names and not through sheer love of bringing music to passionate listeners!!

Spot on.

Music is special... I simply cannot understand how people can associate their name with any music unless it is the best. If I were a top DJ then I just couldn't bring myself to release a track unless I was proud of it and it would stand the test of time.

I feel everyone's sadness in this thread...

Using the Dakota guise for this track is the main problem really.

Yep totally agree.

If he really wanted to do this then why not create some alias & release it under that? He still gets the opportunity to 'work with his idols' and would then dodge the 'sell out' tag

• 4 weeks later...

Out of interest, have many people heard any of the new Dakota tracks from Markus new Dakota album? He broadcast a Dakota special last week on his GDJB Radio Show.

Not all his tracks are terrible like Sleepwalkers, I couldnt even imagine Markus play the vocal version himself in a club.

I saw him play at the Goverment in Toronto in April and he blew the roof off. Get to see him again on June 19th in Waterloo.

Personally I think that the new Dakota album is a really backwards step from the first one.

The first one was so fresh and actually was different from his other material - this one is just uninspired and a lot of the tracks are Markus Schulz originals minus the awful vocals.

'Sleepwalkers' in it's original form is a blatant rip off of Dustin Zahn 'Stranger to Stability' (Len Fake Podium Mix) anyway.

The problem I had with the vocal version was the contradictory bullshit Markus was spouting, one minute it was all about his 'idols' the next it was about 'airplay' and 'festival blling'!

If you're gona whore yourself with some shitty track at least stand by it!