It's All Over!

Max Kane

Personally I think that the new Dakota album is a really backwards step from the first one.

The first one was so fresh and actually was different from his other material - this one is just uninspired and a lot of the tracks are Markus Schulz originals minus the awful vocals.

'Sleepwalkers' in it's original form is a blatant rip off of Dustin Zahn 'Stranger to Stability' (Len Fake Podium Mix) anyway.

The problem I had with the vocal version was the contradictory bullshit Markus was spouting, one minute it was all about his 'idols' the next it was about 'airplay' and 'festival blling'!

If you're gona whore yourself with some shitty track at least stand by it!

I agree the second Dakota album is not great. If you listen closely to Red Star, Saints and Sinners they all basically have the same/similar sound in my opinion.

And Katowice could have been produced by a child as its sounds so simple.

Remember Markus Schulz is represented by David Lewis productions, the same agency responsible for the dreadfull Gareth Emery (I cant believe he gets booked for massive events considering he plays the same shite all the time) and Armin Van Buuren (words speak for itself).

..and now Markus release a World Tour Documentary DVD - more money suppose, like what Tiesto done.

Neverthless I still enjoy listening to GDJB and the occassional World Tour Recordings and Saints is not a bad track

As stated previously I'll always respect Markus as he put me on to a whole new realm of dance music - but whenever you see a former hero going down (in your opinion) the wrong route it's a little bit dissapointing.

What is regarded as "the wrong route" though? He's only done one commercial tune - whereas most other DJs in the current top 10 sold out years ago.

Like someone else said, he wouldn't play the vocal version in a club set (I hope!) - so as long as the mainstream and his 'usual' sound are kept seperate, then I don't see the big deal. Yeah, he contradicted himself and made himself look a bit silly - but other than that, I don't see the problem in what he's done.

I know his style has changed over the years - but I think every DJ's style changes over time - particularly over the past few years where Trance has changed so much and DJ's have moved on to find their new 'sound' within the current "slowed-down" Trance scene. The top DJs have changed their sound, and people like us have all changed our sound too. I can't think of any current Trance DJ that is playing the same style now as they were, say, 5 years ago.

Even DJs at our level have changed. Most of us that DJ on here are playing completely different styles to what we were years ago.

DJ's need to keep up with the changing scene - and if they opt to 'cash-in' in the process by releasing a few mainstream tunes, then so be it - just as long as the two are kept seperate.

DJing is a fairly short career really - so they've gotta take the money while they can. Particularly in Markus's case where he's broken through quite late in his career and, realistically, probably only has another 10 years maximum 'at the top' - unlike the likes of Jules, Oakenfold, etc who have enjoyed a good 20 year career as headline DJs - and are still old enough to have another 5-6 years at a high level.

OK I take that on board - in that case what are your thoughts regarding Tiesto?

I have embedded a lot of personal gripes in to this thread as I feel Markus has lost what made him unique and special. By all means change your sound but don't lose the core ethos of what made you great.

Aside from the older Coldharbour tracks he occasionally puts in to his sets his sound nowadays has absolutely nothing in common with the sound that got him the breakthrough (around 2004).

In my opinion he's just Armin-lite now - loads of vocals, loads of bootlegs (he played 'Like a G6' the other week!) and loads of the same old tracks by the same old producers week in week out. He's played 'Perception In The Red Light District' in every single live set over the past 2 years!

In my opinion he's just Armin-lite now - loads of vocals, loads of bootlegs (he played 'Like a G6' the other week!) and loads of the same old tracks by the same old producers week in week out. He's played 'Perception In The Red Light District' in every single live set over the past 2 years!

Not to mention his continuous support of Mr Pit productions, his track "BackStage" is a clear rip-off of the Swedish House Mafia - "One" track. Then the new Mr Pit - "Fugu" sounds very much like "Backstage". Rex Mundi and Tucendo also receive massive support from Markus.

His major down fall is the predictability of his live sets, the same tracks incoporated with the occassional ID tracks. Perfect examples: Skytech - Comet, Mr. Pit - Sky Traffic, Rex Mundi - Opera of Northern Ocean (Phynn Remix), Aerofoil - Caress 2 Impress (Markus Schulz Big Room Reconstruction), Randy Katana - In Silence (Setrise Remix) to name a few.

Tiesto has completely changed his style to copy the Swedish House Mafia/Dirty South Sound.

My thoughts on Tiesto is that he got power-mad when he won the DJ Mag top 100 and milked it like no other DJ has. He's sold out completely and can't be taken seriously as a credible DJ.

Markus hasn't gone down that route (yet!)

I must admit, I don't like, or follow, Schulz and his style of music enough to take a note of what he's playing each week - so whenever I have seen him, he's played tunes that I don't recognise. I like the fact that his sound is very different to what everyone else plays - deep, moody Trance rather than the fluffy shite that everyone else seems to be playing. I couldn't listen to it week in, week out though because i'd get bored of it - it needs to be boshy and 142bpm to keep me interested these days :P

One thing I have noticed is that he does seem to play reconstructions of well-known tunes - such as last year, he played an awful Calvin Harris rework which sounded completely out of place in his set because I don't usually associate Schulz with commercial tunes. It wasn't cheesey (like Jules's are) - it just sounded like he felt he had to play it to cater for the 'masses' - which would be understandable at a slightly more mainstream venue such as Gatecrasher - but this was at 'The Gallery', which has probably the 2nd most clued up crowd after Digital Society - so that seemed a bit odd.

I can kind of understand the Rex Mundi supporting though. Isn't Rex Mundi signed to Coldharbour? Rex's sound fits in with Markus's style perfectly, so he's bound to support him. I think all DJs have their 'favourites' that they support all the time. I don't see the harm in that if the tunes are decent - just as long as they don't continue to support them when their tunes start to lose their way (like Jules did with Michael Woods and Darren Tate when they started to let their standards slip a bit around 2005).

Ladies & Gentlemen...

It finally happened, the final credible 'big name' trance DJ (Markus Schulz) has finally joined the trend of whoring one's self through hip-hop crossover & has unleashed this piece of shit unto the masses...

Having followed Markus for many years I hate to say it but I'm done, his recent sound changes alienated my tastes but this is too far.

What the hell is he thinking?!

Is that some sort of piss take it's f****** awful :redface:

I understand him supporting the artists signed to his label - but, as with Above & Beyond, he seems to be block signing the same artists over & over. Whenevr labels do this they suffer - the unique one off tracks are always the killer tracks. Producers can get lazy and typecast if they produce for one label as they feel the need to cater their sound to that label without experimenting.

Mat Zo and Anjuna personifies the problem - Above & Beyond decreed that he needed to make more radio friendly, club tracks and so took away a lot of what made Mat interesting in the first place!

Markus' problem is the same old tired tracks are played over and over and over! If I hear 'The Perspective Space' once more in a club I'm gona swing for someone!

Markus' problem is the same old tired tracks are played over and over and over! If I hear 'The Perspective Space' once more in a club I'm gona swing for someone!

Is he still playing that? :mellow: He was playing that when I first saw him back in early 2008.

Sounds a bit like when Jules was playing Team SR - Leaving London in every set for around 2 years.

What is regarded as "the wrong route" though? He's only done one commercial tune - whereas most other DJs in the current top 10 sold out years ago.

Like someone else said, he wouldn't play the vocal version in a club set (I hope!) - so as long as the mainstream and his 'usual' sound are kept seperate, then I don't see the big deal. Yeah, he contradicted himself and made himself look a bit silly - but other than that, I don't see the problem in what he's done.

I know his style has changed over the years - but I think every DJ's style changes over time - particularly over the past few years where Trance has changed so much and DJ's have moved on to find their new 'sound' within the current "slowed-down" Trance scene. The top DJs have changed their sound, and people like us have all changed our sound too. I can't think of any current Trance DJ that is playing the same style now as they were, say, 5 years ago.

Even DJs at our level have changed. Most of us that DJ on here are playing completely different styles to what we were years ago.

DJ's need to keep up with the changing scene - and if they opt to 'cash-in' in the process by releasing a few mainstream tunes, then so be it - just as long as the two are kept seperate.

DJing is a fairly short career really - so they've gotta take the money while they can. Particularly in Markus's case where he's broken through quite late in his career and, realistically, probably only has another 10 years maximum 'at the top' - unlike the likes of Jules, Oakenfold, etc who have enjoyed a good 20 year career as headline DJs - and are still old enough to have another 5-6 years at a high level.

I think you are spot on Briggsy, l agree with all the comments you made above.

These are the kind of threads I love this board for!

Intelligent debate & people with the ability to disagree and not get into personal stuff.

That said I'm right and you're all wrong :P:lol:

• 2 weeks later...