Looking for a new DJ solution

Aza

Also, not sure how powerful your laptop is, but it could be trying to play "catch up" all the time if its not too powerful. My laptop has a 3.1Ghz dual-core processor and 4GB ram - runs fine!

When running Traktor, bring up the task manager and check your RAM and processor usage. If your processor is continually running in the 90%'s, or the RAM is struggling, then you'll either need to upgrade your laptop, or strip down all the crap that you don't need from Traktor - by default, it seems to install drivers for all of the 'standard' controllers, plus generic multi-genre loops that nobody should ever use. Get rid of all that crap and that should help.

• 3 weeks later...

I too am fascinated by the harnessing of computer power into mixing, playing, and otherwise manipulating music.I cannot speak for the likes previously described, Traktor (which I know @FuzzY-LogiC uses), Apple Mac, or Midi controllers, as sadly I've never had the proper opportunity to splash out and use them.

However, one thing is for sure, that the manual "hands-on" task of mixing must be with a physical device, be it a "cheapo" Behringer (à la @Briggsy ;)) or otherwise. You cannot replicate mixing properly with a PC/mouse, and nor should you.

Aza, congratulations must be in order for your first-born. Put all your vinyl on the top shelf though and just keep him away from your music until he's older! :)

Traktor (which I know @FuzzY-LogiC uses), Apple Mac, or Midi controllers, as sadly I've never had the proper opportunity to splash out and use them.

Thanks Tim - gonna take up a discussion with Fuzzy :)

All the best with the impending birth mate - I'm an old fashioned so & so so can't really chip in on the specifics of traktor but I hope you figure out a solution soon :)

Aza, congratulations must be in order for your first-born. Put all your vinyl on the top shelf though and just keep him away from your music until he's older! :)

Many thanks for your kind words - it is appreciated :)

I shall be sure to share details as they emerge...

Aza try installing it on XP

This is something I've read may actually be a solution. I have actually tried by creating a seperate partition, but used it with another Windows 7 stripped down account. I always used a traktor script which turns off a shed load of background processes etc. This still gave me the same kind of issues I had on my main account.

I'm having trouble installing XP as a dual boot with Win7 as my main OS. I have created a seperate partition, restarted the machine to boot from CD and then it doesn't allow me to install. I believe it's to do with the 'boot.ini' or something like that? Any ideas, Noff?

I'm having trouble installing XP as a dual boot with Win7 as my main OS. I have created a seperate partition, restarted the machine to boot from CD and then it doesn't allow me to install. I believe it's to do with the 'boot.ini' or something like that? Any ideas, Noff?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

I'm surprised you are having these problems. I'm running a 2 year old laptop (though it was top of the line at the time, and is still better than current) with Windows 7, Aero themes on, wifi on, and stuff like messenger running! I've got the latency set to the tightest aswell. The CPU load (even with 4 decks on and running key correction never goes above 60%.

Traktor needs and has always wanted plenty of RAM, whereas Serato likes to have raw processing power. My laptop has 4 gb RAM, Intel i5 processor and a stupidly big hardrive. The music library is also massive. So it shouldnt be running aswell as what it is.

What are the specs of your computer. BTW, i told you, Traktor and midi controllers rock. Second best method behinf some technics and a mixer!

High level laptop spec:

- Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 at 2.4GHz

- 4GB of 800MHz DDR2 RAM,

- 7,200rpm 320GB hard drive

- 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 dedicated graphics

I'm running Win7 on an exclusive partition (32bit) and even tried running my music off usb flash memory too.

It's slightly better in that I get less dropouts, but still gets crackles...

Edited by Aza

It's a good point. I am using that to test the difference between my hard drive and if the mechanics have any affect.

My internal drive is a SATA connection, which is faster, but I still get the same glitches/crackles using both USB and that drive.