The 'yes men' syndrome.

Number2Fan

He has much more input than even we credit him with. :rolleyes: Perhaps he just IS Jules' ears. There's no way that Jules' actual ears aren't damaged though. Not that that is an excuse just saying, there's no way any ears can take the pounding Jules' have over so many year and not be damaged. Perhaps he's all gone Pete Tong and Tristan is his hearing dog.

Tristans productions are well made and usually do ok, but those J&T reworks just don't work at all, they're literally fading out the dance tune and fading in the pop hit? What's that all about then?

This is a good thread.

Jules's quality of tune selection is as diverse as a full a spectrum can possibly be. The vibe I think here is generally one of frustration - because we know Jules was capable of some amazing sets and has given us so many unbelievable tunes, and yet over the last decade we feel let down because he has also played some utter, utter tripe.... made even worse with all the stupid, childish "jingles" over his current sets.

The jingles are actually the worst bit I'd say. Positively embarrassing!!

I agree, and he's also been doing them for far too long :thumbsdown: When l first heard them in Ibiza about three years ago at one of his pre-party sets at Bar M the jingles didn't sound too bad, they got everyone into party mood and it was a bit of fun but l never thought he would carry it on for 3 years, its stale, cheesy, boring and yes, its positively embarrassing!!

Maybe all this is forcing quality Trance to go underground and hard-to-obtain again? Not a bad thing necessarily.

Personally I just don't think that there is a great deal of 'quality trance' around at the moment.

So many of the former great producers seem to have lost their way in order to cater for the growing commercial infactuation of the leading names

Personally I just don't think that there is a great deal of 'quality trance' around at the moment.

I agree. Trance has been on the decline since 2006 - and really lost its way completely around 2008 when almost every Trance DJ and producer decided to slow everything down and start copying each others ideas and/or start producing generic samey rubbish.

It seems now that almost every so-called producer has to follow the same formula:

1. Must be produced around 132-136 bpm.

2. Must either be a Techy bassline with a breakdown that doesn't really go anywhere - or a floaty Anjuna-esque girly tune with a high-pitched female vocalist.

3. Must have a vocal just for the sake of having a vocal.

4. It must be Armin, A&B or Emery friendly.

I agree. Trance has been on the decline since 2006 - and really lost its way completely around 2008 when almost every Trance DJ and producer decided to slow everything down and start copying each others ideas and/or start producing generic samey rubbish.

It seems now that almost every so-called has to follow the same fomula:

1. Must be produced around 132-136 bpm.

2. Must either be a Techy bassline with a breakdown that doesn't really go anywhere - or a floaty Anjuna-esque girly tune with a high-pitched female vocalist.

3. Must have a vocal just for the sake of having a vocal.

4. It must be Armin, A&B or Emery friendly.

i disagree, there are good tunes out there and good faster tunes, yeh maybe there is less of them but they are there.

how can armin and alike can find uplifting decent trancers i.e john o'callaghan stuff, daniel kandi, orjan nilsen tunes etc......

i disagree, there are good tunes out there and good faster tunes, yeh maybe there is less of them but they are there.

how can armin and alike can find uplifting decent trancers i.e john o'callaghan stuff, daniel kandi, orjan nilsen tunes etc......

There are a few good tunes out there yes - but few and far between - and definately far less faster tunes. Gone are the days of pacey peak-time sets. You've got DJs like Emery and Schulz playing peak-time sets at 134bpm now.

John O'Callaghan has been below par from the past 2 years - in fact, ever since he left Discover to go to Armada. He's one of the prime example of producers now making the Armin-friendly tracks that I mentioned above. He's also gone down the route of using those horrible high-pitched female vocals.

There are a few good tunes out there yes - but few and far between - and definately far less faster tunes. Gone are the days of pacey peak-time sets. You've got DJs like Emery and Schulz playing peak-time sets at 134bpm now.

John O'Callaghan has been below par from the past 2 years - in fact, ever since he left Discover to go to Armada. He's one of the prime example of producers now making the Armin-friendly tracks that I mentioned above. He's also gone down the route of using those horrible high-pitched female vocals.

the point im making is decent tunes are out there, even if there slower tunes they are out there, yeah maybe less of them, but it doesnt seem to be a major issue for djs like emery, armin, o'callaghan or any other dj worth there salt finding them and making a good set out of them.....even if they arnt at 137 bpm which was the norm a few years back

I think Briggsy is saying that those DJs you listed play exactly the sort of tracks he detests - hence why he feels that there are no good trance producers/DJs left

Armin in 2004 was immense - he had variety and could do no wrong. Now he seems to have gone down the vocal route way too much in the hope of selling albums to pop fans. Bad times

Yeah I was seeing Armin in 2001-2004 and he was very very good, and distinctive too, but I saw him last year just because he was there, and I thought well why not, but it was some dire vocal floaty stuff, no Oomph, made no impact. Markus Schulz was a bit more on the banging side of things, but I dunno, it just doesn't do it for me anymore.