The state of the UK - one year on!

Briggsy

If my son misbehaved at school l would stop him going out and he would be sent to his bedroom to do his homework or was given jobs to do.

The problem these days is that some of the kids take after their parents. The parents are 'rough around the edges' themselves - so the kids grow up the same :(

There are a multitude of factors combining to provoke all of this - but yes the fact that these parents don't care or even condone what their children are doing is abhorrent.

I don't think even the most-liberal liberal HR do-gooder wanker would mind if the police started clubbing a few of them now - it really has gone too far!

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the recent price rises are scandalous - the rail fares rise of 8% is ridiculous.

I don't use the train everyday but I do use it an awful lot shuttling back and forth to London, pretty much monthly. If you brought a return, peak-time ticket, on the day you were travelling it would cost around £160 and that is pre-price hikes.

Agreed. 8% is just not on.

The same applies to food - the cost of food is spiralling out of control. I bought a tin of corned beef last week for the first time in about a year, and couldn't believe my eyes - I paid £2.18 for it - yet two years ago, a tin of Corned Beed was about 72p.

According to the radio last week, fuel is at the lowest its been this year - yet that isn't being passed on to us at the pumps. Its about time the government put pressure on fuel companies to pass these prices on when fuel prices drop - but they won't because they make too much money from it.

I'm not really sure where this will all end - but at the moment, fuel prices, food price rises, travelling expenses, etc are increasing at a far greater rate than peoples income - and eventually, this is going to cause a major problem. Not necessarily now - but in 5 or 10 years time. We can't keep dishing out 8% on this, and 6% on that each year, when peoples pay rises (if they are lucky) are 3% and 4% every few years.

The fuel companies and government are both as bad as each other and they take great pride in blaming one another for the ridiculously high price of fuel.

The government blames greedy fuel companies and the fuel companies blames the high tax they pay.

It has gotten cheaper - but by like 2p when it should be coming down by about 20p

So skint you posetd it twice!

I know an awful lot of people are struggling right now - it's going to reach a real watershed moment as we're almost certainly going back into recession when Q1 results are fully published

The fuel companies and government are both as bad as each other and they take great pride in blaming one another for the ridiculously high price of fuel.

The government blames greedy fuel companies and the fuel companies blames the high tax they pay.

It has gotten cheaper - but by like 2p when it should be coming down by about 20p

Exactly! 2p isn't going to make an impact at all - whereas 20p per litre is. This government pledged to do something about fuel prices - it was one of Cameron's big promises during the debates, and then the coalition announced in the budget that they would stabilize things too - but they haven't. They're targetting the motorists again, just like Labour did, because they know everyone needs their car and have no choice other than to fill up if they want to go from A to B.

If they sorted fuel prices out, food prices would come down (or SHOULD come down rather...), transport/distribution companies costs would come down meaning those prices should be passed on to consumers on the High Street - and then that could get people buying and kick-start the economy again.

In my opinion, fuel prices are having a major impact on most things at the moment - and until the government reduce their tax and/or force greedy oil companies to cut their prices, the economy isn't going to pick up very quickly.

I was glad to see the back of Labour - they were bloody useless. But i've come to the conclusion that this bunch don't really know what they're doing either.

• 1 month later...

It's just going from bad to worse. Searching for more corners to cut now that I'm having to heat and light the house now.

Have to say although Labour may have put us in a bit of a mess, I preferred their way of getting us out of it! This lot have no idea how hard they've actually made life for ordinary folk. :(

Have to say that it will be interesting to see what kind of impact yesterday's energy summit has on actually reducing fuel bills.

It's already starting to get pretty cold and the clocks going back soon will only increase the heating and lighting bills