Top 100 DJs poll

Briggsy

Yes, its that time again! We all know that its a load of crap, and we'll all moan when the results are announced because people have voted for their favourite producers rather than DJs, or the good DJs have finished in the lower positions while the usual, stale, suspects finished in the higher positions - not to mention the DJ management teams that voted hundreds of times for their own artists - however, we'll all still vote anyway. We always do!

Sooooo, who are you voting for this year? I've gone for 5 DJs that i've never voted for in the past but have really impressed me over the past 12-18 months. Mine are as follows:

1. Bryan Kearney

2. Indecent Noise

3. Mark Sherry

4. Markus Schulz

5. Fabio Stein

I'm voting for Kearney and Indecent Noise because their style is right up my street, and they're pretty much the only two that continue to play full-on 142bpm bosh! They're also very good at why they do and rarely play a bad set.

Mark Sherry is one of those DJs that never gets talked about - despite being around for ages and being one of the most consistent DJs around. I've never heard a bad set from this guy - and he's very down to earth too. If anyone deserves some points this year, its him.

Markus Schulz is an odd one for me. I usually hate the slower side of Trance - however, Markus's sound is, usually, very dark, moody with a techy edge (I don't like his Trancier, more vocal, floaty sound he occasionally plays) and his sets somehow always seem to sound faster than they actually are (if that makes sense). Again, he's also a very down to earth bloke too. His productions aren't always my cup of tea, but his mixing is always spot on.

Fabio Stein is someone i've always rated very highly. His style has changed a bit over the past 2 years, but as a DJ, his sets are superb. Great producer, great DJ, and one of the nicest people you'll ever meet in your life.

I've not voted for any of the top 5. Armin gets gayer and gayer with his taste in tunes each year. PvD still plays Born Slippy and 1998. Yawn! Above & Beyond - well, we won't go there. Gareth Emery is massively over-rated. Tiesto plays pop music. None of them are worthy in my opinion.

My choices were easy this year. In the past, i've had to pick 5 from about 8 or 9 DJs i've been torn over - but this year, the Trance scene has been so dire, there aren't even any others that have impressed me in the slightest.

I'm not voting - I haven't been clubbing enough to really gauge who's been the best so I don't see the point.

I hate people that go on radio shows, podcasts, etc without actually seeing the DJ live - where they have to actually mix!

People that vote for producers are idiots as well

Finally, someone else that agrees! It annoys me when people put their top 5 on forums and then say "because he produced a great tune earlier in the year". Producing and DJ'ing are two different things - I don't get why that is so hard for some people to grasp.

Agree with the podcast thing too. The majority of them mix them on Ableton and then they sound good, but stick them in a club on decks, and their beatmatching is woeful (Yes Gareth Emery & Alex Morph, I mean you!).

I'm going to wait until l get back from Ibiza as l'm hoping to see several djs playing out in various clubs. Last year Sied Van Riel played a blinding set @ Amnesia as did Ferry Corsten and Michael Woods.

When Ferry is at his best, and playing 'proper' Trance (rather than the Electro-TRance 'LEF' nonsense he plays now and again), he's the best around in my opinion.

Cheese I love the fact you are voting for Darren Styles. Is that based on seeing him recently or just voting for him as a hardcore legend? Personally I thought he was amazing in 2002/2003 and I like some stuff he's produced in the last few years but he has got much cheesier as well in recent years.

I no every one has been complaining about jules sets past year or 2 even tough i do it myself but he is the main reason how i got into trance so ill always continue to vote for him as my number 1 dj.

So here is as follows

1.judge jules

2.genix

3.ben gold

4.funkagenda

5.john gibbons

Actually would struggle to put together a top 5 based on this year, but I've mainly been following Eddie Halliwell (still) and his radio show as well as Ferry Corsten and Mat Zo.

Edited by Aza

I no every one has been complaining about jules sets past year or 2 even tough i do it myself but he is the main reason how i got into trance so ill always continue to vote for him as my number 1 dj.

So here is as follows

1.judge jules

2.genix

3.ben gold

4.funkagenda

5.john gibbons

Fair enough in that Jules introduced you to dance music BUT I don't think that's really a reason to vote for him in this poll.

Fair enough in that Jules introduced you to dance music BUT I don't think that's really a reason to vote for him in this poll.

I agree. Jules will always be my favourite DJ of all time - but these days, he's poor. There are far better 'amateur' DJs on forums.

So here is as follows

1.judge jules

2.genix

3.ben gold

4.funkagenda

5.john gibbons

it was trance he got me into i used to be into hard house before that,i no he has been poor over the last while but still every now and again does do a good show or monthly set,thats just me ill always vote him no.1 and have done the past few years,genix aswell his porductions are always top class + im bringing him over to my 1st gig in november,ben gold i met him and interviewes him terrible nice chap also his sets are always great,funkagenda is another man who does great sets and mashups for his sets aswell and john gibbons has always supported my mashups aswell

I'm not trying to tell you how to vote mate (I really could not care less about the poll results) but it really gets to me when people allot any precendence in this poll to productions & radio shows.

Anyone who is half decent on ableton can stick up a perfectly crafted radio show, but get them in a club and they're useless. DJing (for me) is more about being able to play live and mix beautifully than just picking out 10 good tracks and cobbling them together every week. I know it's hugely important in this day and age of "branded" DJs to have a regular radio show but it indicates so little about them as a DJ. Markus Schulz even writes about putting together Global DJ Broadcast on a plane in a couple of hours!

Producing is just that - producing! It's a real pet-hate of mine to see producers doing well in this chart when they can't even mix! (in this instance I'm not taking a real issue with your choices as I know Damo is a superb DJ)

Regarding Jules - by all means vote him number one - but you said it yourself you know he has been poor this year and that's what the poll is about! It's the Top 100 DJs 2011, Jules would walk a 'DJ of all time' poll for most of us on here as he is such a legend - but right now he's a shadow of his former self and placing well in this poll, along with many other aspects, will only fuel his belief that he's doing the right thing with these mashups and cheesey shenanigans.

Anyone who is half decent on ableton can stick up a perfectly crafted radio show, but get them in a club and they're useless. DJing (for me) is more about being able to play live and mix beautifully than just picking out 10 good tracks and cobbling them together every week. I know it's hugely important in this day and age of "branded" DJs to have a regular radio show but it indicates so little about them as a DJ. Markus Schulz even writes about putting together Global DJ Broadcast on a plane in a couple of hours!

Producing is just that - producing! It's a real pet-hate of mine to see producers doing well in this chart when they can't even mix! (in this instance I'm not taking a real issue with your choices as I know Damo is a superb DJ)

Regarding Jules - by all means vote him number one - but you said it yourself you know he has been poor this year and that's what the poll is about! It's the Top 100 DJs 2011, Jules would walk a 'DJ of all time' poll for most of us on here as he is such a legend - but right now he's a shadow of his former self and placing well in this poll, along with many other aspects, will only fuel his belief that he's doing the right thing with these mashups and cheesey shenanigans.

Absolutely spot on! It boils my blood when you've got people like Gareth Emery earning a fortune as a headlining club DJ because of a popular podcast mixed on Ableton - but stick him in a club, and his beatmatching is nothing short of shocking. I din't mind the odd loose beat now and again - its natural - but Emery's mixes when i've heard him have been out by miles, with no effort to correct it.

As for producers getting high positions - I agree with that too. Ronald van Gelderen was getting high profile gigs based on the back of his productions a few years ago, yet the guy couldn't beatmatch, couldn't construct a set, and couldn't even phrase match! Bars were kicking in and out all over the place. You wouldn't hire an electrician to do your plumbing, so why vote for a DJ based on productions. They're two different jobs. SOME are superb at both (ie, Ferry Corsten) - but on the whole, most are good at one or the other - not both.

As for Jules - I agree. Voting for him makes him believe that everything he's currently doing is working for him - and it isn't. It also means he'll retain a high position and he'll continue doing what hes doing now for another year - playing shit bootlegs, cheesey "Somebody screeeeeeam" jingles, and abysmal tunes that nobody else is playing.

Each to their own, but this is everything that is currently wrong within the Trance scene at the moment.

mmm i do agree with u briggsy and tom if i do vote him number 1 again its true he will believe he is as good as he was,im starting to change my mind now,i havent put my vote in yet still loads of time ben gold is both a top dj and producer same as genix and funkagenada.

thanks lads

i'm not voting i haven't listened to much new stuff for a while and from what i have heard i'm not keen on it haven't been out to see any djs either so i don't know whos good and who isn't last time i went out was to see jules at passion in 2002 :) awesome night! i may just vote for jules though as i don't want him to quit hes such a big influence on me so i'm not too fussed if he isn't playing the music i prefer at the moment i still have a lot of respect for him

i'm not voting i haven't listened to much new stuff for a while and from what i have heard i'm not keen on it haven't been out to see any djs either so i don't know whos good and who isn't last time i went out was to see jules at passion in 2002 :) awesome night! i may just vote for jules though as i don't want him to quit hes such a big influence on me so i'm not too fussed if he isn't playing the music i prefer at the moment i still have a lot of respect for him

See above post addressed to Jaylo :P

You'd be better off not voting mate - that's the stance I am taking as I haven't been to enough club nights to really rate DJs correctly