New Jules Interview

JasonB

Cheers for that. Jason, was a pretty good read.

Jules still does always give a good interview and is very down to earth. I guess we've all kind of established that his style has changed and that's just to fit the crowds, which he has stated.

Funny how he just mentioned about Eddie's first track, which we discuss here...

Edited by Aza

You have been a main player on the dance music circuit since the very beginning. Do you think your original army of followers from Gatecrasher etc. in the late 90's have stayed with you, or are you playing to an ever changing new crowd?

No, I don't think the original army of clubbers who were there in the late 90s would be clubbing anymore. You might get the odd person who was around in that era coming to Ibiza as one off, but the fact is that the crowd changes every two or three years. Between the ages of 18 to 25, people tend to do a lot clubbing; some might even get a second wind. But the reality is that your market, at least in my case, is the 18 to 25 year olds. Some of the other clubs in Ibiza have a slightly older crowd; they aren’t likely to be so musically knowledgeable because they’ve stepped out of the loop. Of course, I'd love it if the old gatecrasher crowd came out – I'd have the time of my life – but you have to constantly reinvent yourself for the new market and embrace new styles… making your own tracks and bootlegs is very here and now.

Some of us are still there, but he's right we don't go clubbing very much any more.

But I disagree with his view that the "older crowd... aren’t likely to be so musically knowledgeable because they’ve stepped out of the loop" - this is clearly not true; if anything, we are more knowledgeable, just perhaps not as up-to-date :thumbsup:

It's a decent read but I totally agree with Quadrant re the older generation not being clued up!

I think that might be a slightly underhand dig at the various people who are not into his chart-bothering bootlegs and such.

You have been a main player on the dance music circuit since the very beginning. Do you think your original army of followers from Gatecrasher etc. in the late 90's have stayed with you, or are you playing to an ever changing new crowd?

No, I don't think the original army of clubbers who were there in the late 90s would be clubbing anymore. You might get the odd person who was around in that era coming to Ibiza as one off, but the fact is that the crowd changes every two or three years. Between the ages of 18 to 25, people tend to do a lot clubbing; some might even get a second wind. But the reality is that your market, at least in my case, is the 18 to 25 year olds. Some of the other clubs in Ibiza have a slightly older crowd; they aren’t likely to be so musically knowledgeable because they’ve stepped out of the loop. Of course, I'd love it if the old gatecrasher crowd came out – I'd have the time of my life – but you have to constantly reinvent yourself for the new market and embrace new styles… making your own tracks and bootlegs is very here and now.

Some of us are still there, but he's right we don't go clubbing very much any more.

But I disagree with his view that the "older crowd... aren’t likely to be so musically knowledgeable because they’ve stepped out of the loop" - this is clearly not true; if anything, we are more knowledgeable, just perhaps not as up-to-date :thumbsup:

I had just quoted that text to write a response, when I noticed you'd said something along the same lines to the same part. I do think this is part of the 'yes' man theory we have going, cos I really don't think Jules would really believe that part about over 25's not being in touch, just because they don't like his music. It's a bit of a dig at some of us nay-sayers imo. And besides, what age is Jules? Maybe he's right after all.

really good interview see this is why i like jules he's honest and he's right you have to go with the times someone of his stature i think has too do that else he would probably wouldn't get as many gigs especially being on radio 1 he has to be at the forefront of what is popular today else he wouldn't have his show that's just the way it is at the end of the day he has a family too look out for and i bet there is a part of him that prefers the older stuff i might be wrong thought but he just has to adapt to what is current.

Also, I got the vibe that he treats his profession as a kind of 'business market' thingy. Like he needs to change what his business services offer to meet market requirements, which I think is totally what DJ'ing is NOT all about! You have your style, and you should also honor that to which your, true, original fanbase got you going with. You only become big because of what people make of you and ANY professional should not forget that!

I'm sure he's also loaded so you'd think he's got a financial plan in place to pretty much see he and his family through many of a happy day. Very interesting to see that he'll be going back into law once he hangs up the headphones!

Hmm he's right really, and he certainly still has a crowd for the moment, but how come Tristan doesn't play those shite bootlegs and getting his O/H doing karaoke every week? It's the same crowd isn't it?

He is still raking it in tho, and as an unclued up oldie, I'm sticking with my dubstep for the timebeing. :)

I think I share Aza's opinion here, on the business idea, I don't think Jules has ever reinvented himself properly though, I think his ears are shot!

Agree with Aza. I know you have to "adapt" in your job to maximize ££, but if I were a professional DJ, I simply couldnt do it. I simply couldnt play any track which I didnt like.

The same goes with making music. I could never, ever bring myself to release something unless it was a quality masterpiece that would stand the test of time. Something to be proud of, not fodder... Maybe I'm just a perfectionist but I dont think that's a bad thing in music.

• 5 weeks later...