DJ'ING

jaylo

just a question to every one on this,is it me or does it happen to a few people that when u havent mixed it a while its a pain in the arse to get back in to it.

havent mixed in a few weeks then other day i taught id do a cd seems i got lots of new stuff - and it just wasnt happening for me id always get one dreadfull mix :angry:

Yeah it comes in phases for me. I've been mixing for 13 years now and I've gone through whole periods of really not being able to get into the mixing. It comes back though. I find it easier these days with Traktor to leave it a few weeks and then pick up where I left off. Sometimes having a break can have the opposite effect for me because when I finally get back on the decks for a mix I enjoy it so much more.

That usually happens aswell a break does good and come back mixing spot on but it jus other day it wasnt happening and im off to ibiza tomoro and was goin to bring cds with me and try get a gig in one of the local bars but now im haven 2nd taughts about it

Without sounding ridiculously arrogant the beat matching, sequencing and programming is never a problem for me to get back into. I can usually roll up and mix pretty well with new music after a break.

The problem I have is getting back into it after a gap - as in I lose motivation and tend to abandon burning new music for a few weeks and then its a chore to get myself back up to speed

After a while without mixing, I too loose the motivation, but when I after a while feel like mixing again, I usually do it with much more enthusiasm.

Beat mixing isn't really the big problem anymore. After a few years with mainly Traktor+CDJ's and/or a Kontrol X1, I recently dusted off my turntables and played some vinyl again, both real vinyl and through Traktor with the timecoded vinyls.

I was afraid I had lost the touch of beatmatching vinyls, but after an hour or two, I was warmed up and was back in the game. It kinda felt like riding a bike. I guess it's because vinyl is so hands on and physical compared to just the Kontrol X1 and to some point also the CDJ's. It was really a relief, though I know I won't go back to vinyl permanently :)

I always used to find that after a break, my mixing was better than it was before - but I think that is down to my ear problems. After a break, my ears were good to go again for another 3 months - whereas before that, i'd lose the mid-frequencies and tunes would sound mushy and horrid, and mixing them would be trickier.

As Tom said, once you've learnt beatmatching, structuring a set, etc, you never lose that ability - I think sometimes the ears are just saying to us "you need a break" and perhaps aren't as 'razor sharp' as they should be - making mixing seem a struggle.

I never mix unless I get the urge and wanna play some records, sometimes I literally just wanna play records and not mix at all, but then my mixing has never really been spot on everytime. I still love that feeling you get when you bring a record in exactly the way you wanted to or better, that's a buzz. Sadly now if I mix it all becomes one mass of noise in my headphones and ears and I can't differentiate between the two tracks. Sometimes I get around 20 mins of decent mixing and then my hearing caves into it, and I'm left totally confused, and trying really hard but just failing, because the sound I can hear is, kinda indescribable really. This gets me down, and I usually turn the decks off and go and sulk and feel sorry for myself. Leaving it a few months and then getting the urge again, and following that same pattern.

It's very hard. But self inflicted I guess.

Still love music though, and still love dancing, so as long as I can have those things in my life it's ok.

Look after your ears people.:)

That usually happens aswell a break does good and come back mixing spot on but it jus other day it wasnt happening and im off to ibiza tomoro and was goin to bring cds with me and try get a gig in one of the local bars but now im haven 2nd taughts about it

Hope you have a great time in Ibiza Jaylo, where are you staying and what Djs are you going to see?

I'm going to be out there from 10th September, can't wait!

im staying in the don pepe apartments down beside cafe del mar and mambo

one place i'v been to all the time is judgement sundays so not gona miss that,fatboy slim,pete tong and carl cox in space and not sure after that there the 2 main ones and ill just go where ever the wind takes me :mrgreen: looking forward to it i cant wait

Sounds good :thumbsup: There is a club called Play2 in The West End which is open most nights, its free to get in and the drinks are cheap too, its a nice friendly place and the music is very mixed, Vicky Devine plays there on a Friday night and Tristan Ingram does every other Tues. Its worth checking out as its free so if you don't like it you can move on. I've heard that Plastik Bar is very popular this year too, its next to The Egg roundabout :thumbsup:

We've been this year already and want to go again! We stayed at The Arenel Hotel, next to Linekers on the strip. We like it cos you can bag the cheaper(!) drinks before hitting Space or Amnesia, and its next to the Bay Bar which plays some nice music, and is chilled before a big night out. Highlight for us this year was without doubt the Terrace at the Radio 1 Weekend. Funkagenda was awesome.

I really wanted to go to Cocoon @ Amnesia, but we had the med-peds and wanted to get use out of them on that day. I also wanted to see Junior Jack, he was at Mambo a week after we left. Oh well. I still think my favourite place on the island is Cafe Mambo. The atmosphere is epic.

@Jaylo, i would say, forget about trying to get gigs in Ibiza this late in the season. You need to start hassling the promoters around about march april time apparently. I spoke to one of the guys at The Bay Bar, and thats apparently what most do. If i were you, i would go out there and just enjoy it, there's always next year.

But yes, i always find it takes me about an hour to get back into mixing if i havent done it for a few weeks. Frustrating.

I really can't stand The Egg bar - went in once and never again!

Play2 was very reasonable for cheap drinks and the free entry was a bonus.

Our Villa wasn't far from your hotel Moonman - we had to walk past it to get into town every night

I stayed at The Arenal Hotel last year and will be there again in just over 2 weeks time :). The location is perfect and the food is pretty good too.

I have never actually had a drink in Plastik (Egg Bar), just went in there to find out about the free party buses to Space. Ibiza Rocks Bar (Bar M) use to be really good but since it was done up it lacks atmosphere. However I have to say that the place is heaving when Jules does his pre-party set there on Sunday evenings, pity they don't have more nights like that in there. Really like it in Itaca as well, great music, great atmosphere :thumbsup: also love it up at Cafe Mambo and Kanya.

I will be going to see Jules at JS, and also planning to go to Amnesia to see Michael Woods, JOC, and Ferry Corsten and also to Pacha. I didn't enjoy Tiesto last year @ Privilege so will give that a miss this time. I'm in Ibiza for 2 weeks so it would be nice to explore a few new places, any suggestions.

@Chrissie, we did the chavviest thing - got some 125cc mopeds rented, it was a great laugh and we saw the whole island - if you do that, just remember you have to pay for the fuel first, then fill up! This caught us out a couple of times lol. Away from San An you can really appreciate its true beauty. We were speakign to a few locals, it would appear that San An is the necessary evil on the island. There are some well nice oddball spots S'Amaggassa is like a hippy spot that was amazing and my favourite (east side of the island). Portinatx is quite nice for the view, but its mostly families there. Es Canar was interesting to see how the locals really live, its quite eye opening. Cala Llonga was also very nice - some hot women there ;) You really have to see the whole isalnd, rent a car, quad or a ped, it'll be the best thing you do over there (apart from the club nights of course ;))

I really like the small bars/clubs where they play house/tech and there were loads of them in these hidden spots, we just didnt have time to go to them all.

i'm well jealous you're going, i really want to go again for the closing parties, but just cant afford it.

Sorry Moonman l should have mentioned that l have been to Ibiza 4 times, the first time for a week and 3 times for 2weeks so l've seen most of the island and have also been to Formentera. My son came over for 5 days in 2009 and hired a car and he took me to most of the places l wouldn't be able to get to without a car which was very good of him. Most of the time l get a bus or a water taxi and take myself off to different places as l'm not one for sitting on a beach, l can do that at home, my nearest beach at home is less than 2 miles away.

I'm interested in finding some small bars/clubs, which ones would you recommend? I go to Ibiza on my own but have made friends with both locals and other regular clubbers so don't feel l'm on my own as such. As you all know l'm an "oldie" but no one tries to put me down in fact they think its great that someone of my age really enjoys the music, some call me their "disco mum" :lol: its all about the music and thats my main reason for going. :D

Fair play to you chrissie you are one in a million and i hope myself ill be still going back to ibiza many years down the line

well i just taught id fill u's all in im finally back from ibiza and its always depressing to be home from the sun and of course ibiza.

I had a great time and got to do what i always wanted to do and that was to do a gig (not one gig but two :D .

I played in the westend in the vodka club down beside koppas and up the top of the westend VIVA.

I went at the right time because a mate of mine one of his mates was working over there as close protection security for the big djs down at cafe mambo and savannagh so we got vip in there, met eric pyrdz in mambo and right up beside laidback luke in savannagh and met judge jules in savannagh.

We were also VIP in judgement sundays met all the dancers who were sexy looking :wub: and also met maecel woods,judge jules and john o callaghan.

It was the 1st time seeing john o callaghan live and he was brillient.

SAD TO BE HOME :(

Fair play to you chrissie you are one in a million and i hope myself ill be still going back to ibiza many years down the line

well i just taught id fill u's all in im finally back from ibiza and its always depressing to be home from the sun and of course ibiza.

I had a great time and got to do what i always wanted to do and that was to do a gig (not one gig but two :D .

I played in the westend in the vodka club down beside koppas and up the top of the westend VIVA.

I went at the right time because a mate of mine one of his mates was working over there as close protection security for the big djs down at cafe mambo and savannagh so we got vip in there, met eric pyrdz in mambo and right up beside laidback luke in savannagh and met judge jules in savannagh.

We were also VIP in judgement sundays met all the dancers who were sexy looking :wub: and also met maecel woods,judge jules and john o callaghan.

It was the 1st time seeing john o callaghan live and he was brillient.

SAD TO BE HOME :(

as far as the westend places go - and i'm not mad keen, i think we enjoyed Capones is the best. Though it is small.

With you on both fronts there - The West End is largely a tiresome place, it's an effort just to walk about 10 yards

we usually started in mambo or savannaghs because a friend of mine was workin as close protection security for all the big dj's so he used to get us the vip areas then we would head up the westend just for cheap drinks,i do a agree it is hard to walk 10yards without people bumping off ya or trying to drag you into the bars.