clean your laptop

jaylo

It all depends on how much you use the machine and for what...

Many installed applications can drag down any computer. Specially when used every day.

I'm an old PC guy who now have a foot in both the PC and Mac world as I bought a Macbook Pro back in 2009 and still have an up2date Windows 7 workstation at home.

My Windows-rule of thumb has always been (since Win95) to format and reinstall once a year (at least) if it's your primary computer.

I only reinstalled my Macbook Pro when Lion (OSX 10.7) came out because I like having a clean slate when installing a new version of the OS (I know... pure Windows noia from back when an update could brake everything :ermm:).

The filesystem on Mac's are different and more alike Linux filesystems. They are somewhat more "intelligent" than say, NTFS or FAT32 (used in Windows), in the way they handle files in the background. Defragging and indexing the drive.

Bottom line is, they don't get cluttered up as easy and therefore the OS works more efficient.

I'd say... when you feel like your computer is getting slow, it's time to format and reinstall the OS.

//Fuzzy

I use the lappie for music and my kids use it for kids websites and homework. It seems fine since I moved all the music to the external hard drive.

The PC gets used for gaming and it has virtual Dj on it. ATM though whenever I browse the Internet on it Firefox keeps shutting down. Don't know why?

• 2 weeks later...

theres steps you can take to speed up a mac if your a mac user.

download and use cleanmymac

http://macpaw.com/

or use onyx - great program for clearing things

or delete your caches in both your home library folder and also macintosh HD root.

so home folder/library and delete the caches folder

and mactosh HD/library and delete the caches folder

reboot and it will re-create and speed things up a lot.

onyx will do both of them automated though and its free!

Windoze, even 7, is a shockingly bad operating system really, what with all the virii, malware, defragging, patches and clean ups required.

I work in IT too, I've found free programs like malwarebytes' antimalware, microsoft security essentials work well for identifying and eliminating any nasties. CCleaner clears out all those temporary files which somehow become permanent and clog up your drive and getting rid of programs that don't uninstall on occasion. Smart Defrag is useful for defragging your drive when it's sitting idle too, although has become annoying with its nagging update reminders (for me anyway).