93. Dirty South

94. James Zabiela

95. Marcel Woods

96. Porter Robinson

97. Sven Vath

98. Brennan Heart

99. Leon Bolier

100. Boys Noize

Jules in at #67 this year with some utterly (but predictably) shocking DJs very high.

Dash Berlin in the top ten?! Really!

Deadmau5 comments on this were pretty funny - will post them up soon

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't voted over the past few years (either due to lack of clubbing activity, apathy or both) but certainly was not going to bother this year due to the new facebook system.

I would imagine that has played quite a part if Guetta being number one and some of the stranger choices making it so high

Jules won't quit while JS is booming and he's still getting booking after booking unless he descides it's time to retire. I guess that day will only ever come if he gets bored of it all or his hearing goes

Like Tom, I've not bothered voting in the last few years...the DJ's who deserve to be in there rarely place as high as they should. It does highlight the 'state of trance' today though...they've all dropped quite considerably to make way for commercial bollocks like Guetta. Above & Beyond can barely call themselves dance music these days, more like chill out music they're so slow!

You can f*** right off if Boy George is a better DJ than J00F and Jon O'Bir...and how did Gash Berlin get so high? Martin Solvieg said Hello and gets to number 29? wtf?

Maybe we could set up something for next year in order to get one of our own names on the list!

:)

I said something similar on FB...get someone who's never played out properly up the list and then 'retire' from DJing when they place in the chart! lol

This happened a few years ago on the Trance Addict board. They all voted for a guy called Mikey Mike as a joke (he's also a member of the Matt Hardwick board) - and he got enough votes to finish 110th in the DJ Mag poll.

DJ Mag published a small article on the results page of their magazine:

SECURITY

Security was even tighter this year, with all over-enthusiastic cheaters weeded out. However, evidence of a campaign working is the election of Mikey Mike to No. 110.

The idea to get lots of people to vote for this unknown trance jock started on a trance website, and spread to loads of other forums. Participants in this enterprise thought they were going to "f*** up the poll", but all this result shows is that if enough people vote for one particular DJ then they can expect a healthy placing.

(Credit: DJ Magazine No.02/Vol4 Page 041)

BORING! The best nights ive had out this year (in Ibiza particularly) were listening to no name dj's playing tunes that are fresh. The problem with, certainly the top 20, is, they all play the same tunes. How many of them said their big tune of the year was either Avicii "Levels" or SHM "Save The World"?

Marco V has been losing a lot of popularity in recent years - I think many, many people turn up to see him still expecting vintage 2004 Marco and are dissapointed when they here his current sound.

Last time I saw him was at PaSSion's 14th Birthday - he played pretty nicely but he's still a shadow of the DJ he once was (imo of course).

Tiesto sells tickets and pop singles - ala Guetta, that's what the poll is about.

I would imagine half the voters aren't even old enough to go clubbing to be honest

Marco V has been losing a lot of popularity in recent years - I think many, many people turn up to see him still expecting vintage 2004 Marco and are dissapointed when they here his current sound.

Last time I saw him was at PaSSion's 14th Birthday - he played pretty nicely but he's still a shadow of the DJ he once was (imo of course).

Tiesto sells tickets and pop singles - ala Guetta, that's what the poll is about.

I would imagine half the voters aren't even old enough to go clubbing to be honest

Must admit l haven't seen Marco V this year so can't make a judgement as to how good or bad he's become.

Of course you're right, Tiesto and Guetta, do sell pop singles and tickets and that's what its all about!

However not every one is on Facebook so its unfair to expect people to join in order to vote!

However not every one is on Facebook so its unfair to expect people to join in order to vote!

Opening it up to facebook probably allowed them to police it a little better as the obvious repeat voters would have had to go to a lot more effort to duplicate their votes.

I did hear many stories of people not being able to vote due to problems with the system

A couple of friends that are Marco V fans have seen him twice in the past 4 months, and now hate what he's playing because he's changed his sound this year - and is now playing more cheesy, commercial-orientated stuff.

I think these samples of his latest Swedish House Mafia-esque productions say it all really:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jn1umIAM40

At what year did the DJ mag poll become the farce it is today?

Just after Tiesto won it. Prior to Tiesto winning, the DJs that won it didn't really take any notice of it - and just carried on as they were before. Then when Tiesto won it, he milked it like no other DJ had before. He hiked his fee up, started 'solo' concerts, only played a handful of clubs - and made a huge amount of money from it. Other DJs (Paul van Dyk and Armin) then started doing similar things to what Tiesto did - and they also made a lot of money from it. Now lots of DJs have seen how much money is involved, so now they're all desperate to be in that position too - so they're doing whatever it takes to get there. Hence the amount of DJs that are now producing cheesey tunes or copying "sound of the moment" tunes. It might be good for their careers - but its killing the dance music scene (particularly Trance).

I did hear many stories of people not being able to vote due to problems with the system

I tried twice - and on both occasions, I never recieved the email I was supposed to recieve to confirm my votes, so I gave up.

"Reaver" has been about for ages - easily a year or more.

His (Marco V's) big change came around 2006/7 when he ditched the harder trance (which he was the best DJ at playing) and started to go more housey.

I know we all have to earn our ££ in careers, but seriously, I say again I could not bring myself to release a track without it being a masterpiece.

How many producers can say that? Quality, not quantity, people....

And also, Deadmau5 makes a good point - how can he be elected in the top 5 DJ Mag poll when he has never DJ'd in his life?

Deadmau5 makes a good point - how can he be elected in the top 5 DJ Mag poll when he has never DJ'd in his life?

That's why the poll is a joke. Its a poll full of people that have been voted for based on their productions rather than DJ'ing - therefore, it makes a mockery of the DJ Mag Top 100 "DJs" title.

• 3 weeks later...

I have no idea how the vote works now as I firmly have my slippers on, but surely any votes for non-DJs should have been discarded? Or ask DJs that want to be in the running, to pre-register and then some drop-down box system could operate.

Something has to be done to restore credibility.