Good:As a digital possibility?

gamesgaryjp

I emailed Graham Gold regarding a possible digital release of the Good:As label catalogue, turns out he's never even thought about it!

I asked:

I was wondering if you have any plans to release the Good:As back catalogue digitally, this is an excellent label and i know a fair amount of people who would kill for files of most of the library.

Thanks for your time

Graham Gold responded:

"Never thought about it-it's an idea, excpet much of the stuff we won't own anymore as usually the licensing periods are 6 years.. but thanks for the mail--will have to think how it could work xxxx"

Let's hope it does come about :)

I've never understood this kind of attitude.

You have all this wonderful library of musical gems and material locked away in defunct formats which sold like fire back in the day, and don't think of re-releasing it digitally.

Good:As was a stunning label and Graham Gold is a legend so we'll let him off but I hope it comes to fruition! :)

Yes i agree, surely there's nothing to lose and all to gain releasing back catalogues digitally. I mean, there's nothing to print or anything costly, just upload and away you go!

"excpet much of the stuff we won't own anymore as usually the licensing periods are 6 years.."

In that case, if nobody no longer owns the license any more, I should think you could contact the original artists and enquire about the tunes you're after. Chances are, they'll give you a copy free.

The worst case scenario is that you refresh the artists mind about that particular tune, and they approach new digital labels about re-selling it digitally. In that case, you'd have to wait longer - but you'd still get it digitally eventually.

I actually contacted Berry Van Gardingen (aka "Twice As Nice") recently with regards to getting hold of "Overture" in digital format.

He was more than prepared to give me a free copy - except he said that the tune was that old, it was stored on a DAT tape which he no longer owns (old technology which he has since disposed of). He did state that the only person with a copy was the label owner - but that they were unlikely to give it to me because they have plans to re-release the tune (alone with new remixes) in the near future.

If you go through the entire good:as release's the ones I suspect Graham would still have ownership of now would be all his own productions and then unless the rights have reverted to the artists:

The Jacob & mendez releases

Aptness

Digital Control

Tonca Boys

Saturn

Apex

Axiomatic

Francesco Pico

Klubaholix

Fu Manchoo

Matchstixmen/eskimo

Pathogen

Beatpusher

Indeed mate, there's still a nice chunk of the label that wasnt licensed from bigger labels. Stuff like Vimana & DJ Tiesto are readily available through the original labels but were after the unobtainable stuff.

Were interested in the exclusives and the like, which he must still likely hold the licensing for.

"excpet much of the stuff we won't own anymore as usually the licensing periods are 6 years.."

In that case, if nobody no longer owns the license any more, I should think you could contact the original artists and enquire about the tunes you're after. Chances are, they'll give you a copy free.

I actually contacted Berry Van Gardingen (aka "Twice As Nice") recently with regards to getting hold of "Overture" in digital format.

I wish I could do that for "Douglas - Douglas" and the track Eddie uses to mash up his 3-deck edit of Dark Alliance Genetic - just can't find out who actually made them!

Sure it's been over 5-6 years now - they were on Judgement Euphoria 2005...

Edited by Aza

• 2 weeks later...

I asked Jules back in 2008 about if the Serious back catalogue would be released digitally, because Xtravaganza and Hooj had just launched their entire library (on Audiojelly if I remember). He said:

Because Serious was a subsidiary of major label Universal Music, things are much slower to react on the legal download front- obviously Hooj, Xtravaganza etc were independents. It's been suggested, but they're being very slow.

I resparked this last week to see if anything was in the pipeline for either this, Closet, or Manifesto, and he mentioned this:

To be honest, I'm not sure how long the contracts were for the tracks and therefore whether the rights have reverted back to

us. I've lost all the paperwork over the course of multiple house moves etc. Great idea though - I'll look into it further. Cheers, Jules

There are the odd Manifesto releases and Serious tracks available (search on Junodigital under Universal Music and you'll see whats available) but not entire back catalogues (I doubt there ever will be, but that's Universal for you).

I thought originally Serious was an indepedent but then Universal bought them around 2000 time when Sonique hit it big?, then Serious kinda went crap with hampenburg, Mad House and such tripe, before being closed down in favour of continuing Manifesto which not much longer after was abandoned too?

I'll never understand why the big labels (except EMI who still have Positiva active in some sense) closed their dance labels/departments enmass.

All labels have their tripe!

Positiva has loads, multiply has the cheeky girls, inferno has mis-teeq, incentive has candee jay etc..... no avoiding it lol

Interesting stuff guys! Seriously though, I say it again but what the f*** are they doing struggling with selling current downloads when they could simply put up their back catalogue from 1994 and make a f****** fortune...

• 2 months later...

I got fed up of waiting for a few bits from Good:As so ripped the vinyls quite nicely. Also had an old mix CD Graham did which had Aptness - Contact at the end.. absolutely loved that tune, more so than 'The Answer' so made meself a lil edit of it.

The legend of Graham Gold for me.. emailed him when Jacob & Mendez - Sun & Rain came out and said I was struggling to get hold of it. Wondered if there was anywhere he knew I could get it.. he emailed me back saying he'd send me a copy through the post free. He's also personally come up to me at the end of his set once and thanked me for being so enthusiastic!! Got a lot of love for that guy!!

• 2 weeks later...