Ministrys The Annuals

JasonB

These used to be good round ups of the big dance tunes in clubland of the year once upon at time, mixed by real people using vinyl, now they need a extra cd to put more of the same commercial dross and remixes of pop hits mixed by mister computer someone or other, how things have changed over 14 years eh!

Agreed, JasonB'age ;)

I've looked for a few releases this year from the franchises I used to follow - even when getting into Dance/Trance music, Euphoria and MOS stuff used to be awesome.

Trance Nation has released the odd bits here and there and it's tarnished the original Ferry masterpieces.

MOS Annual are pure tripe now as are Euphoria.

Also used to follow the Cream series which Eddie Halliwell used to spin for them and they too have worsened - not digging any of these new styles now more :(

Used to love the Annual, Clubber's Guide, Trance Nation series back in the day. They would be full of excellent house & trance tunes that Jules would be hammering at the time.

Personally I noticed a slight decline back in the early-mid 2000s when some Clubland/'Scouse House' style tunes started to make an appearance on the albums... Nowadays they are dreadful - they don't even put any trance tracks on the CDs anymore! They're full of Guetta/SHM style commercial stuff or dubstep/drum & bass.

Can't even bring myself to look at the tracklistings of the new MOS comps anymore (I think that probably goes for 90% of mix CDs that are out now to be honest!) :sleeping:

The only compilations that sell with any regularity are the ASOT and Schulz City Series (eg Miami 05, etc).

They only sell as they have masses and masses of exclusives and basically the tracks are made for the album itself as opposed to featuring the best bits from a year/season, etc.

Dance music, commercially, has reached a saturation point where it just does not sell unless it's on a mass, commercial level

The point where Ministry ditched proper big name DJ's to sell their mix comps was 1 thing and then a few years ago when the likes of Cascada and co appeared on The Annual was another,definitely an end of an era on many levels.

Tongs mix on the 2nd Annual (96) contains a hilarious moment where he mixes the next track in and then brings the previous track back in for a bit, surely a mistake, kinda like one jules made near end of cd2 of clubbers guide 2001

Unfortunately, "proper" dance music doesn't sell compilations now (and why would it when we can get better Podcasts from respected artists for free).

I don't buy compilations any more and mostly listen to Podcasts. I only buy compilations which date back to late 90's early 2000's.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Digweed's Bedrock comps still have something about them - but I generally tend to listen to Transitions when he does the Teaser mix or something.

The way that radio shows are put together, using ableton, now makes them virtually compilations anyway - only available weekly/monthly and for free

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Tongy's CDs are all over the place of late though - he seems to want to appeal to everyone instead of just playing the stuff he likes.

He'll have some cheesy SHM rubbish on a CD and then move into "too cool for school" Visionquest stuff 5 tracks later.

Vath is still a legend mind

Really? Tong's that I have bought in the last few years have been pretty underground - Wonderland 2010, Future Underground and 3 All Gone albums. He did do a ridiculously cheesy Essential Dance Hits cd in 2006 ... WTF??? :rubbish: