Judge Jules - City Nights

Aza

Seen a few comments on this in the radio tracklists, thought I set up a thread to discuss since I've been playing this myself recently.

I'm really digging the Mat Zo remix, think it works nicely.

The sax (as mentioned before) does remind me of those Ibiza nights where it was Rocky (I think) playing it over the top who also did the part in Hi- Gate's Saxuality.

Yeah the Mat Zo remix is v.good!

Funny how his sound has also changed since he first established himself as a producer. His early day tracks were very euphoric and of a fine trance style, he now has gone for more of a slower, funky electro style: Frequency Flyer and his latest colab with Arty to name but a few...

Yeah the Mat Zo remix is v.good!

Funny how his sound has also changed since he first established himself as a producer. His early day tracks were very euphoric and of a fine trance style, he now has gone for more of a slower, funky electro style: Frequency Flyer and his latest colab with Arty to name but a few...

Beg to differ there mate!

Mat's early stuff was a real mixed bag - he produced some really deep prog which Digweed and co supported and even some drum n bass, long before Anjuna started taking notice.

The trancier stuff has been since he hit Anjuna which, in my opinion, coincides with a marked decline in terms of quality and uniqueness.

I shall keep my comments on his latest work (with Arty) to myself as I'm a nice fella :)

Beg to differ there mate!

Mat's early stuff was a real mixed bag - he produced some really deep prog which Digweed and co supported and even some drum n bass, long before Anjuna started taking notice.

The trancier stuff has been since he hit Anjuna which, in my opinion, coincides with a marked decline in terms of quality and uniqueness.

I shall keep my comments on his latest work (with Arty) to myself as I'm a nice fella :)

Yeah, have to agree. Despite really liking a lot of the Zo/Arty stuff there for a while, I think they've really gone off the boil. Thought Rebound was pretty good, but thought Frequency Flier was awful. Think I'm experiencing what a lot of you have had for a long time now. Now that I'm paying a lot more attention to tunes, I'm quickly getting bored of a lot of it, whereas a year or so ago, it was all pretty unique sounding to me as I'd stopped listening to a lot of it for ages.

Think once the cross-over potential is realised, the artists seem to instantly start making more saccharine, and formulated tunes too, imo. The two producers mentioned being a case in point.

See what you mean there above - both, and yes, you're right.

Should've stated that it was more so from my own experience and interest, for example, I only really heard of Zo after '24 Hours', which even today, still rocks for me! Then came the likes of 'Lucky Strike', his remix of on Signalrunners and Tiesto. Those were - for me - my first real recognition of Zo. :)

There was also a remix or so he did on the classic likes of U2's 'Beautiful Day' and Olive's 'Your Not Alone' - the latter which our own Mr Webster really nailed! :)