Judge Jules to leave Radio 1.

lyndon

End of an era, albeit an era that I left about 5 years ago. However Jules has introduced me to some great tunes and been a key part in many a good night out.

He has always been very accessible and would help out in anyway he could, often saving me a few door fees along the way.

Music will always develop and I think Jules has had a good run at R1. He's very lucky to have an alternative career ready made and I wish him success with it.

Really Sad to hear this news, first started listening to judge Jules on radio 1 way back in 1998 when i started going to Cream. I would listen to his Friday night shows broadcasting from a club then his Saturday shows whilst getting ready for Cream. it was then when i got my 2 year membership to cream that i would mostly go every time Jules played there and of course to see Oakey.judge jules also got me into djying.i still have all my vinyl which includes a lot of the tracks he supported between 98-2004.Radio 1 went downhill when they swapped his 5-7 Saturday slot and ended his Friday night slots. i know they have to go with the times but Judge Jules put Radio 1 on the map and will always be a legend in my books.hope he continues to dj as i have had some of the best nights of my life in cream and ibiza watching him back in the day between 98-2001.those were the days

Really Sad to hear this news, first started listening to judge Jules on radio 1 way back in 1998 when i started going to Cream. I would listen to his Friday night shows broadcasting from a club then his Saturday shows whilst getting ready for Cream. it was then when i got my 2 year membership to cream that i would mostly go every time Jules played there and of course to see Oakey.judge jules also got me into djying.i still have all my vinyl which includes a lot of the tracks he supported between 98-2004.Radio 1 went downhill when they swapped his 5-7 Saturday slot and ended his Friday night slots. i know they have to go with the times but Judge Jules put Radio 1 on the map and will always be a legend in my books.hope he continues to dj as i have had some of the best nights of my life in cream and ibiza watching him back in the day between 98-2001.those were the days

I love hearing snippets like this, so many have similar stories and at the risk of sounding silly, Jules's DJing changed our lives! Nice to know those who remember and clubbed during his golden years of 1998-2001 are still around. Welcome sir :)

Just heard this the other day. Thought I would pop on and put my word in. Once Jules show left his 5-7pm slot that was it for me. I couldn’t have the fri night show. Was going to happen some time. Buts was not expecting it now though. The music scene is dire, IMO. (A good choon is made them someone “raps” over it and destroys it) Jules got me into dance music and dj-ing, for that he is my favourite. Had many great nights seeing him.

Rant over

Could be onto something there - as with anything the less time you dedicate to it then the more results begin to suffer.

Jules seemed to take the standpoint of "it sells and people love it" an awful lot over the past few years (of decline), which, to me (and I am probably reading too much into this) suggested maybe he was more concerned with the task of staying relevant and viable in such a competitive, increasingly commerically focused, market - as opposed to just doing his thing and playing what he loved?

So with Jules re-studying law for the last few years and Tristan filtering and planning tunes for shows etc, maybe just maybe that why Jules has gone to shit over that time. Coincidence? ;)

I said that in one of the other threads too - it does seem very coincidental.

Jules, in my opinion, was at his best when he had two filterers - Simon Patterson dealing with all the 'banging' stuff - and Chris Barratt dealing with all the Funky House/Electro House.

It all started to go downhill when they moved on. Simon and Chris both DJ themselves, and both know a good tune. I've no idea what Mr T's background is, but he seems to be a 'jack of all trades, master of none'. The tunes that he seems to be filtering through are average at best. His productions are also average at best - and as a DJ, he's genuinely one of the worst i've ever heard. His sets are random - with no flow and a severe lack of set building skill. Its as if he turns up, pulls random tunes out of his wallet and just mixes them with very little thought behind the set. There's also lots of loose beats when he mixes, and the music leans a bit on the cheesey side. I can't help but think that he's using Jules's name in order to raise his own profile (and when I see one of his dodgy bootlegs on a Jules tracklist each week, it convinces me even more), because without trying to sound harsh, he's simply not good enough to "make it" on his own.

Its only since he's been involved with Jules that i've started to see his name on line-ups - and even then, its usually Judgement Sundays line-ups, Jules's Monday night gigs at BCM in Majorca, or a line-up elsewhere with Jules on the same line-up. Its very rare he's on a line-up without Jules.

I'm calling him Judas D from now on.

It certainly explains alot for me, like why the hell he gave anyone else so much authority over what he should play. Tristan was doing more than just a bit of filtering. I also found him (IMO) a seemingly untrustworthy character and couldn't understand the hold he had over Mr & Mrs O'R?

Also, while watching Absolutely Fabulous does anyone else think of Amanda?

ahh wtf :pirate: what i can say on this jules is a legent.

thats why i was comming to trance music and to radio 1 heard him 1st time 2001 playing and after that i loved the trance music and now all gorne..wtf i cant believe crazy who be the next... jules ?? i cant belive tristan d will be the next jules ...he got complete difernet stile plays just a cupple of his tunes in his own sets and other djs no nobody,,, i really think im the only one hows liking and playing 100 porcent of his tunes he plays to ,,,just not the crazy (j&t bootys)

but it cant be me im not big enoth for it.

i work on it but is just a big dream :ermm: just dreaming.

no more judgement sundays no more ibiza wtf ????? :boohoo: :rubbish: :rubbish: :rubbish: :rubbish:

I listen to Jules's R1 show religiously each week so l'm gutted it is all coming to an end, l do like most of the tunes he plays and will also miss his cheerful voice.

Jules will still be doing Judgement Sundays in Ibiza and instead of being on Radio 1 he will concentrate on his "Global Warm Up" podcasts which are very good (IMO). I also noticed that during his podcasts he throws in a few one-liners so thankfully its not the end for Jules more a case of a new beginning :D

I read somewhere that John 00 Fleming thought it was about time Jules hung up his Radio hat because he was a simply "terrible radio presenter". Although he did point out he was a superb DJ back in his House days though and a sound chap.

I must try and find the webpage again to verify this but I was surprised at the radio host comment.

Surprised to hear J00F saying that - one can level many things at Jules over the last few years but I always thought he was a magnificent presenter.

John does spout off an awful lot though so I wouldn't rule it out

John '00' Fleming loves a good moan. I don't recall J00F saying that Jules was a terrible radio presenter a few years ago though when Jules was supporting his Muse - Cydonia bootleg......

Jules has never been a 'natural' radio presenter, and doesn't have a 'natural' radio voice (even Jules has admitted that on numerous occasions during interviews over the years) - however, he is still a good presenter, and what he lacks in 'natural' radio ability, he more than makes up for with his personality, his on-air wit, knowledge in music and general laid-back, easy-listening approach.

J00F is just a bitter old sod. He's constantly moaning about how shit Trance is, how shit other DJs are, how shit the clubbing scene is, how shit promotors are and how shit productions are. Thats just about everything to do with clubbing and DJ'ing - so if its really that shit, then retire. Someone should lock J00F, Askew and Emery in a room together so that they can all moan amongst themselves - after all, they seem to love that more than DJ'ing.

To be fair to John he has done something about it though!

His J00f Editions night tours relentlessly and promotes the kind of DJs and music which he feels that the scene lacks.

His label has also signed a lot of unknowns and given them a huge push - again something which he feels is lacking from other avenues.

Askew is a legend imo - his forthrighteousness is refreshing and he often reveals a side to the "industry" that we don't ever get to see. He tells it like is is and is not scared of offending people - whereas a lot of other DJs keep quiet to retain their "marketability" and no harm their careers

With respect to Tristan and them terrible bootlegs they produce together. Interesting to read Markus Schulz say the following in his latest blog:

"...But my biggest fear for trance right now is that it’s almost getting to the point where it’s too vocal driven and the breakdowns are becoming too long. This might sound silly, but I fear for the day where I hear Celine Dion’s Titanic theme My Heart Will Go On playing over a trance breakdown...."