Judge Jules to leave Radio 1.

lyndon

Not been on here for a while so this has come as a bit of a shock - but i guess it says everything that I havent heard Jules' radio show for a very long time. It wasnt really the same when they took away Friday night shows and especially the live sets.

I think its always sad when something that has been in your life for such a long time ends but think everyone on here will look back with great memories (especially 1998-2002 for me)

this is sad news indeed, but as most have already said, its been a while coming, even i said it last year that his time was coming to an end.

What worries me, is Tong will be next, but who on earth do they replace him with? There is no one who immediately springs to mind except Dave Spoon (His in new dj's we trust shows were excellent and vastly underrated). Radio 1 needs to keep house dj's at least, if they are phasing out trance djs. If Tong goes, i can safely say i will no longer be listening to Radio 1 at all.

But anyway, Jules...what a legend. Calvin Harris recently tweeted about this, and it summed it up perfectly. He said "if it werent for Judge Jules old friday + Saturday night shows, I would never have got into dance music". So true, and its something i think that resonates with all of us. We all remember Jules from 98-2001 being his best years. On his day, there was no one that could touch him. I've had many a good night out listening to Jules, and the radio shows, timeless!

Radio 1 are a strange bunch, they seem to think they know what people want, but do they? I'm very surprised that Skream & Benga are the replacements. Dubstep to me, is urban music, so why are they not on 1Xtra? This is what annoys me, they have a dedicated "black music" station, so why not keep it all uniform?

I think to say farewell, i'd like Jules to play his personal favourites, mixed in with some banter about his memories from certain times etc.

Jules, thanks for opening my ears to house music, and getting me into it all. Thanks for the memories and those 1999-2000 radio shows, they were truly epic.

I think the problem there is that Jules said in his diary about 12-18 months ago that he'd got rid of most of his vinyl. He stated that he'd converted some of his old favourites to MP3 - but I suspect the ones that he's converted are the classics that he still regularly plays now - Kristine Blond - Love Shy, Lost Witness - Happiness Happening, Green Martian Industry, etc. I suspect the really dated and/or lesser known tunes are long gone.

I do think he'll finish off with a special show though playing some of his favourites throughout his Radio 1 career - or he may even play snippets from previous shows, such as some of the outside broadcasts, etc.

There are also rumours that he's being given an Essential Mix as a "goodbye" too - so hopefully that is the case, and he'll play a set of some of his favourite "trademark" tunes. I'd love to hear him dig out something like Altitude - Excession, The Clergy - Saints & Sinners, Citizen Caned - The Journey, JamX & De Leon - Can U Dig It & DJ Elite - That Fuct Camera. All tunes that you could refer to as "Jules tunes".

Yeah, despite Jules not being the DJ that he once was, and not my cup of tea at all for the past 3 years - overall, he's still my favourite DJ of all time.

One of his main criticisms over the past few years has been his mixing and lack of set flow - but 10-12 years ago, that's where Jules stood out from the rest. He'd think nothing of doing a really long, 2-3 minute mix that sounded absolutely genius. He'd also not be afraid of pulling off 'risky' mixes - you know the ones, mixes where you'd never expect two tunes to go together. Mixes that other DJs simply wouldn't even dare to attempt - yet Jules would pull it off with ease and make it sound amazing. He's also one of the very few DJs that, throughout his career, has never been afraid to play a variety of genres in one set - he'd often play his old pacey Euro-House sound, Trance, Tech-Trance and Techno all in one set - yet make the set flow perfectly with none of the genres sounding out of place.

Jules was very unique in his DJ'ing style. If you turned up to a club not knowing who was on the line-up, you'd instantly know Jules was playing without even seeing him simply through hearing the tunes that were playing - the sound that us Jules fans referred to as "The Jules Sound". Generally, fast-paced, 'fun', bouncy tunes of various genres that you could associate with him. He also wasn't afraid of his critics - if Jules felt that a tune was good, he played it - whether it was a more 'underground' Techno tune, a top 10 chart hit, or one of "those" bizarre tunes that he occasionally played throughout his career. Whether every DJ was playing it, or whether he was the only DJ in the world playing it. Whether it was signed to a massive label, or signed to a minor label that nobody had heard of. Whether a tune had had huge chart success or whether nobody had ever heard of it - Jules didn't care! He'd play them all.

Thats why there will never be another Jules. Everything is far too serious these days. DJs have to have 'a sound'. DJs have to be a brand. DJs won't touch anything if its entered the charts. DJs won't touch anything if it could be regarded as "cheesy". Every DJ is playing the same tunes, and everyone knows what they are. None of that bothered Jules. Even today, 10-12 years on, there are still unidentified tunes from Jules's tracklistings because he was the only DJ playing them, and nobody knew what they were, or where they came from. That doesn't happen with DJs any more.

Agree with all of this.

For me I would always go to see Jules because back in the day he always played the bouncy banging tracks and I knew he would always rock it the most (with the odd clanger thrown in) This probably hasnt been the case the last few times I have seen him.

By the way, I sent Jules an email to see if he had anything special planned for his farewell on Radio1. He said the last show will feature a retrospective mix featuring a track from each one of his 15 years there, which is a lot better than just bowing out on a normal show as many of us thought he would. I imagine it will be nothing too obscure, I suppose, but it should still be good. He said that's about as far as he's got, planning wise for it.

It's pretty cool that he's doing that kind of thing - to me it makes sense.

Jules obviously wants to remain relevant and push his current sound - this way we get the old (\o/) and the new (/o\) with, hopefully, some real gems thrown in

just a thought, but is anyone recording his final show? i've been saving the last few weeks from the i player since it was said he was leaving. but it might be worth sky +'ing the last one so we can have a full 192kbps rip for the archive. i might set mine to record.

I have been recording Jules's R1shows in mp3 format since 2007 (using my iriver mp3 player which has a timer record radio tuner) and the quality is 192kbps! I then transfer the files onto my computer and have them backed up on an external hard drive. l will be recording this show and am happy to upload this onto my Mixcloud.com page and post a link on here for the archives.

i used to have a dab plugged straight into my computer but since the i player improved on listen again it's been pointless. the feed from sky, freeview and cable for radio 1 is 192kbps that's why i recorded the odd show via digital tv.

for anyone who does record it, it might be worth setting the timer 10 minutes before and 10 minutes after his show in case he has any banter with annie mac or kutski.

I've got 2 iriver mp3 players and both record in 192kbps so l will do what you suggest on one of them and then on the other l will just record the whole show.

However l doubt there will be any banter with either of the djs as the show will be recorded as Jules will be in America dj'ing. Last night's R1 show was his last "live" one :(

I'm defo recording it. I can record on either tune-in radio on the iphone or Sky plus HD. Hadn't thought about the quality of it tbf..

Chrissie I never knew that, that's actually awful that his last show will be a pre record. Although, I reckon that's how he'd want it. Get the emotional stuff out the way and get on with it. Awwww I'm sad already now.

I'm defo recording it. I can record on either tune-in radio on the iphone or Sky plus HD. Hadn't thought about the quality of it tbf..

Chrissie I never knew that, that's actually awful that his last show will be a pre record. Although, I reckon that's how he'd want it. Get the emotional stuff out the way and get on with it. Awwww I'm sad already now.

Me too :boohoo: :(

Fab & Grooves final show was also a pre-record too, as much as I will miss Jules on R1 I will also miss these guys, they play some stuff no on else on major radio (I'm counting Baileys 1Xtra show and Hypes Kiss Fm) plus their banter is rib ticklingly amusing at the best of times, DJ friction no matter how good he is cannot replace this dynamic duno.

i've said it before. but if radio 1 are that scared that young people won't listen to dj's because of their age (bare in mind they can't see them), then why is westwood still there?