Judge Jules to leave Radio 1.

lyndon

Strange comment from Markus - given that all of his big tracks of late are the vocal ones and some of his breakdowns are verging on the ridiculous.

He needs to get back to what made him so big in the first place instead of being an Armin-lite

Agreed - I hate Markus's vocal tunes. 'Daydream' in particular is one that I hate. He was also playing a corny "Big Room Reconstruction" of one of Calvin Harris' tunes about 18 months ago.

Markus, in my opinion, is at his best when he's playing the dark, moody stuff. I don't like him when he plays the floatier, vocal stuff. I find his new sound quite dull too.

My friend is a die-hard Markus fan and a good friend of his (a genuine friend, not one of those weirdos that thinks they're a mate because they've asked for his photo and praised his set) - and even she's admitted that she's going off him a bit now because when they pick him up from the airport or drop him off at his hotel, he's now become slightly obsessed with the DJ Mag poll and constantly talking about "Unicorn slaying" - whereas 12 months ago, he wasn't at all interested in the DJ Mag poll or "rebelling against the Trance scene with a corny title".

Anyway yeah, back on topic, Jules is a legend. Mr T is crap....

Agreed - I hate Markus's vocal tunes. 'Daydream' in particular is one that I hate. He was also playing a corny "Big Room Reconstruction" of one of Calvin Harris' tunes about 18 months ago.

Markus, in my opinion, is at his best when he's playing the dark, moody stuff. I don't like him when he plays the floatier, vocal stuff. I find his new sound quite dull too.

My friend is a die-hard Markus fan and a good friend of his (a genuine friend, not one of those weirdos that thinks they're a mate because they've asked for his photo and praised his set) - and even she's admitted that she's going off him a bit now because when they pick him up from the airport or drop him off at his hotel, he's now become slightly obsessed with the DJ Mag poll and constantly talking about "Unicorn slaying" - whereas 12 months ago, he wasn't at all interested in the DJ Mag poll or "rebelling against the Trance scene with a corny title".

Anyway yeah, back on topic, Jules is a legend. Mr T is crap....

That's rather dis-heartening to hear actually. I mean we all suspected and even joked about how the DJ Mag was so important to these guys, but to read it in black and white sort of saddens me. Especially for such an established name as that. An up and coming dj looking to boost their profile, I can understand.

What do you mean by this sir?? Poor unicorn

Its basically another one of the Trance DJ's that are trying to look cool/rebellious against the current state of Trance by trying to make out that they're doing something different to the rest.

Above & Beyond started this Trance 2.0 nonsense, the likes of Kearney, Indecent Noise, Patterson and Askew now refer to themselves as "Team 140" - and Markus Schulz's dig is 'Unicorn Slaying' (basically, the Unicorns being 'bad Trance tunes').

All of the above makes me cringe. Its meant to be semi tongue-in-cheek, but at the same time, i'm sure that by using these tags, they're hoping to win new fans by making them think "Hell yeah, I hate all that slow stuff too - so i'll follow the Team 140 guys instead". Yes, Trance has slowed down and become rather dull and tedious - and some artists have gone quite cheesy too - but all these stupid names/titles/indirect digs are dividing the trance scene even more.

Forget the stupid names, tags and gimmicks - just get on with it and let the sets/productions doing the talking.

These guys have short memories. One minute they'll post a Facebook status saying "Trance can be any speed or style - there are no rules" - and then half an hour later, they'll post "Just produced another 140bpm power-Trance monster #team140" - errr hello? Schulz claims to be 'Unicorn Slying' (ignoring cheesy tunes) - then he'll play some Big Room Reconstruction of a pop-dance act like Calvin Harris. Its just making them all look stupid with gay tags/divisions :pinkman:

• 1 month later...

Fair play to Jordan - and at least with the INDJWT he can probably play whatever he likes, as opposed to the crippling "scheduling" bollocks that R1 enforces upon it's primetime DJs.

He's a cracking DJ - hope he translates well to radio - and it's great that someone at R1 seems to have a handle on the scene

A good choice! Not heard of Jordan before but done a bit of research and I reckon he's an ace choice.

Great to see Dance music will not be abandoned on R1

New schedule is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/new-radio1.html

Radio 1 Schedule from Monday 2 April

Monday – Friday (Daytime)

04.00 – 06.30 - Dev

06.30 – 10.00 – The Chris Moyles Show

10.00 – 13.00 - Fearne Cotton

13.00 – 16.00 – Scott Mills

16.00 – 19.00 – Greg James

Monday - post 7pm

19.00 – 21.00 – Zane Lowe

21.00 – 22.00 - Radio 1 Stories

22.00 – 00.00 – Nick Grimshaw

00.00 – 02.00 – Rock Show with Dan P Carter

02.00 – 04.00 – Charlie Sloth

Tuesday – post 7pm

21.00 – 22.00 – BBC Radio 1’s Review Show with Edith Bowman

00.00 – 02.00 – Punk Show with Mike Davies

02.00 – 04.00 – Nihal

Wednesday – post 7pm

21.00 – 22.00 – Matt Edmondson

00.00 – 02.00 – Huw Stephens

02.00 – 04.00 – Benji B

Thursday – post 7pm

21.00 – 22.00 – In New DJ’s We Trust

00.00 – 02.00 – BBC Radio 1 Residency

02.00 – 04.00 – Toddla T

Friday – post 7pm

19.00 – 21.00 – Annie Mac

21.00 – 23.00 – Pete Tong

23.00 – 01.00 – Skream & Benga

01.00 – 03.00 – Essential Mix

03.00 – 05.00 – Annie Nightingale

Saturday

05.00 – 07.00 – Rob Da Bank

07.00 – 10.00 – Gemma Cairney

10.00 – 13.00 – Vernon Kay

13.00– 16.00 – Huw Stephens

16.00 – 19.00 – R1’s Dance Anthems with Danny Howard

19.00 – 21.00 – Trevor Nelson (1Xtra simulcast)

21.00 – 23.00 – Westwood (1Xtra simulcast)

23.00 – 01.00 – Mistajam (1Xtra simulcast)

01.00 – 03.00 – Brand new show (1Xtra simulcast – Details to be announced in coming weeks)

03.00 – 05.00 – The 1Xtra Showcase (1Xtra simulcast)

Sunday

05.00 – 07.00 – The 1Xtra Mix

07.00 – 10.00 – Gemma Cairney

10.00 – 1300 – Sara Cox

13.00 – 16.00 – Huw Stephens

16.00 – 19.00 – The Official Chart With Reggie Yates

19.00 – 21.00 – Radio 1’s Request Show with Jameela Jamil

21.00 – 22.00 – The Surgery with Aled

22.00 – 00.00 – Nick Grimshaw & Annie Mac

00.00 – 02.00 – Radio 1 Nations

02.00 – 04.00 – Friction

So, it seems Jordan Suckley is getting a permanent show on Radio 1. Thoughts? At least there will still be a trance dj there once Jules leaves.

Jordan Suckley is an excellent DJ - he has immense natural skill (scratching, EFX tricks, the use of 3/4 decks, etc) that is up there with Eddie Halliwell and the late Barry Connell (in fact, he's from the same artist agency and was good friends with both of them too). He also has a good ear for tunes - and is responsible for the management of the Goodgreef record label and podcast.

The only slight concern is that if his latest productions are anything to go by, he seems to be going a little cheesy/commercial and incorporating that dreaded Swedish House Mafia-esque sound into his tunes.

If we get to see the Jordan Suckley from a couple of years ago, then expect a bit of everything - particularly some really full-on, fast, 'boshy' stuff that Jules' show has lacked for the past few years. Hopefully that's the side of Jordan Suckley that we'll hear on Radio 1.

Some good news that is, meanwhile Dance Anthems returns with new young un Danny Howard presenting from 4-7pm on a saturday

i hope it's true to it's old form at least, and not 3 hours of dubstep from 3 years ago because the pre teens class it as "oldskool".

How does Nick Grimshaw keep his slot?

The guy is a massive tool and knows f*** all about, well, anything!

That annoying bird off of T4 Jameela Jamil has a show too - she's terrible!

it's a sign of radio 1's celebrity obsessed ambitions, the days of mark radcliffe and simon mayo are long gone. how kelly osbourne got a show on there a few years back is beyond me.

add fearne cotton and edith bowman to that list.

what fustrates me above everything is that those at the top at radio 1 seem to have no plans to actually listen to people, i'm still laughing at 'switch' falling on it's arse on a sunday night after it replaced dance anthems. they may as well of got a new presenter in to just continue the show if they thought dave pearce was too old.

I don't get Radio 1's big deal over the age of presenters anyway.

Has anyone ever listened to the radio and thought "Oh i'm not listening to this presenter. He's better than that 25 year old they had on earlier - but he's the wrong side of 35 so i'm not listening."

Surely its the quality of the output that attracts listeners. Pete Tong is the perfect example - his show now is probably the best its ever been, yet he'll be the next dance DJ to go during the next schedule revamp because of his age. Why? The output is still excellent.

Its just an excuse for Radio 1 to free up some slots so that they can fill them with "flavour of the month" presenters - or more crap TV celebrities that sound awful on the radio because they have no radio background.

i'm finding it a bit of a strange time right now if i'm honest. i've been downloading jules show every week this year from the iplayer, until he finishes. although i only really skip through them.

but i've been listening to the old shows i have downloaded from this site in the car via my iphone plugged in to the radio, this week it's been the gatecrasher summer sound system one from 2001. and i remember how big a deal it was back then to radio 1 to have jules' show live from there. the tracks sounding great and the times and atmosphere likewise. and then i remember what is around now when i switch back to radio 1 and hear jakwob or some crap.

the old shows are quite hard to listen to because it makes me remember the good tracks back then, but makes me sad that those times will never come around again nor be replicated.

Sara f****** Cox!! Eurgh!! No way, with her 'put on' regional accent!! I dunno how she ever got a bbc job in the first place! Oh wait yeah I do, coz she slept with the right people.

That Greg bloke is f****** boring. Fearne Cotton can piss off an'all, talking dogshit.... She does on and on and on and on.... About baking f****** cakes, middle of the day, radio one and cake baking, she talked for an entire show once about cakes she was gonna cook and bring in, next day, did they like them.....NO because she didn't make any. Then she talked about slippers ffs.

I am bitter, they do all have my dream job... But at least some radio presenters are good at it, can make you laugh between records, make you feel you're in company of people you don't want to slap!

Rant over!

Ah, I know we all reminisce for Jules time back in the day on Radio1, but the whole station was just so much better back then. I used to really like Moyles at times then, it was as much about the other people on his show, as him, and it was great at times. All preceded by the inimitable Mark and Lard. Geniuses. Complete with their 'Non-Essential Selection' every Friday. The only bit I wasn't fussed on all day was Sara Cox in the mornings, though I think it was a lot to do with Radio1 wanting her to play up to the 'ladette' image that was all the rage at the time.