Purchased a Technics 1200 mk5

Neuro

So my Stanton broke down last year and well, despite Technics no longer manufacturing the famous turntable anymore, I thought I would splash some Christmas money on a proper bit of kit I've always wanted. A Technics 1200 :)

The Mk2 model is world-famous but I opted for a pre-owned Mk5 model instead because:

1) an Mk5 is likely to have less wear;

2) the pitch control is smoother doesn't have the "click" at 0%;

3) the dust cover has no fixed hinges!

The deck cost me £450 from Germany which I thought was a great price for an Mk5.

39949.jpg

The 1200 will last me a lifetime and takes pride of place in the living quarters. I'm thinking of getting an Ortofon Arkiv to rip my vinyl though - it's a delicate piece of kit but from the reviews I've read it should stand up to my audiophile scrutiny :pirate:

101338.jpg

Any comments welcome especially regarding cart / stylii for vinyl transcribing...

Nice buy mate! I missed my Technics - CDJs were a bit dull and never had the same 'hands-on' feel that vinyl had. Any plonker can mix on CDJs :(

Anyway, save youself some money mate - I have a practically new Ortofon Concorde Nightclub S cart and stylus if you want it. Its free to a good home.

I bought it with the intention of using it to rip my old vinyl collection to CD - but in the end, I bought most of my collection again on CD or MP3 download bar the odd one or two that I couldn't get digitally but never got around to ripping before I sold my decks.

Not sure what the difference is between the stylus above and the Concorde S, but I do know that the Concorse S was the best at its time. I think they were something like £75 each.

If you want it, PM me your address and I'll pop it in the post for you. Its only sat in its box collecting dust here. Its a shame to let it waste in my drawer - its only been used 3 or 4 times.

Looks good Neuro sir, what's the difference between a 1200 and a 1210 exactly though? I think I am right in that they were the same except the power source (the voltage switch)?

Also Briggsy sir, I had those Ortofon Nightclub S carts for a long time, they are excellent. Now discontinued though, Ortofon's Nightclub mk II are apparently even better (except being fluourescent orange, yuk :ill: ). They track at a lighter gram too

Obviously I must oblige with a photo!

It goes without saying if you try scratching with these the needle will jump around more than one of Jules's Glasgow sets in 2000 :)

But then again I've always been into smooth mixing, not turntablism, and ortofons are the standard for that.

Old Nightclub S Concorde (the dog's for many years):

15630.jpg

Nightclub mk 2 which replaces the above, mainly with a SILLYcolour.

300804_RB_00_FB.EPS.jpg

Neuro I should have baked you this cake, to serve you a platter on a plate! (sorry couldn't resist)

GilbertsCakeDI.jpg

I've got to be honest mate, its been that long since I set the Ortofons up on my old decks that I can't remember. 1.5g rings a bell - but don't quote me on that.

I think there was a slip of paper inside the box - I think it has the recommended weight on one of those slips somewhere? Generally, I think the Ortofons run a fair bit lighter than the 'standard' chunky carts.

I can't offer much more help than that i'm afraid mate. Its been a while :(

The old ortofon nightclubs need min 2g tonearm weight sir. I've never gone over 2.5g with them and the sound is ace.

Also, rumour has it the Nightclub mk2s are meant to sound even better than the Arkiv, so you might need to do some research on that.

• 1 month later...