A favour from the producers/remixers of the board please.

Hope I may be so bold as to ask some of you would you be able to do me a favour, or point me in the right direction please.

Basically, my mate is getting married in March, and he's come to me and asked me could I do an edit of a track for him. He just came to me as I had decks and thought it would be something I'd be able to do myself, but I wouldn't know where to start.

He wants a certain song played as they enter the wedding reception. The song itself is some Aussie soft rock band that holds some sentimental value for them. He wants the chorus playing as they enter, but it goes into a breakdown after a certain point, and they don't want that part playing. He needs at least 40seconds for the walk-in and basically what he wants is a loop: the chorus starting up again as it was after it finishes (if that makes sense).

I've got hold of a decent copy of the track itself. He's pin-pointed the exact start and finish times of where he wants the loop (he calls it his remix, bless him). Is it achievable, is there any software that I would be able to use to edit it myself, or am I just as well telling him it's more bother than it's worth? It doesn't have to be perfect or anything, but at the very least, they can play the song as is if it's too awkward.

Anyway, thanking you in advance anyone who can help. Cheers. MBK.

I use Adobe Audition for audio editing. It's much better than Audacity but not free. If its just a simple loop you need doing I dont mind having a go at it.

Getting the loop point exact is all about zooming right in to the waveform to pin point that 'beat'. In audition once you have found this exact part of the wave by zooming right in, you can set a cue marker. Zoom back out and do the same for your end point of the loop. That will give you 2 markers. You can then highlight the area between the point and it will snap to the markers you have set. Then copy, and paste the section as many times as you need. It is tricky to get it sounding really smooth. It depends on the song. If it has a clean and obvious start and end point of the chorus, it will be possible to make it seamless. The key is the start of the section needs to be the same as the end musically. In house or trance tracks this is usually easy to find since tracks are built in sections of repeating loops generally. So it is not hard to match a start and end point of say a 4 bar section and create a seamless loop.

Not sure if any of this is helpful but feel free to PM me if you need any help or wanna send the file over for me to have a look.

• 2 weeks later...