Westwooooooooood!

FuzzY-LogiC

So...

Looking over the new Radio1 schedule post here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2012/new-radio1.html

There was only one thing about it that really stood out (in a bad way).... excuse my french, but WTF is Westwood still doing on the air!!?

I mean, really? Ever since I started listening to Radio1 on a regular basis (starting late 99), I have had the understanding that Westwood was the one person on Radio1 that everyone was making fun of... not just the non-gangsta rap listeners, but also his own DJ colleagues on the station. As I understand it, Westwood is the "clown of the class" who everybody loves to hate because of his attitude which shines through in his jingles and presenting style.

I live in Denmark... and I don't even like the bloke!

Please tell me if I'm wrong, or if I just answered my own question or something... because I am baffled - to say the least.

Rant over...

When we were all recording Jules's Friday night 9-11pm shows back in the day, at the end of the half-hour mix when Westwood's BOMBS went off I reckon if you listened really closely you could *hear* 2,5 million people across the world jump up and stop their tape :)

• Like 1

He obviously has good listener figures and retains some credibility.

For a guy of his age and background to still secure credible hip hop acts to appear on his show must mean he's doing something right.

Not that I'm a fan.

The whole simulcast with 1Xtra is just a waste of time in my opinion, why have two stations playing the same music on a Saturday night?

Westwood is there so that Radio 1 can be seen to be doing their bit for the environment.

When Westwood comes on, radio's go off - and it saves the UK a fortune in energy bills.

Rumours are that he's having new sound effects created as we 'speak' - the thundercracks and bombs will go, and will be replaced with the sounds of cracking icebergs and the crackling of forest fires.

there's whispers that jules is on the way out because of his age (but as always with older dj's), it's even happening in the daytime too with scott mills being demoted. westwood is on there simply because of the type of music he plays and they are scared of upsetting the wrong people if they move/get rid of him. that's why all this interbreeding with 1xtra is on radio 1 all the time.

the bloke is approaching 60.

When we were all recording Jules's Friday night 9-11pm shows back in the day, at the end of the half-hour mix when Westwood's BOMBS went off I reckon if you listened really closely you could *hear* 2,5 million people across the world jump up and stop their tape :)

well said! that appied to me using cool edit when jules did saturday nights 7-9 a few years ago.

They're not whispers mate - Jules is definately going. Its been confirmed by Radio 1 and Jules himself.

Jules is continuing the club DJ'ing for 4 years alongside another career as an entertainment lawyer.

The reasons why Jules is going are unclear, but probably for all of the following reasons.

1. His age

2. Trance (and dance music in general) is no longer drawing the kind of audiences that it used to on Radio 1.

3. Jules is nowhere near as good as he used to be a few years ago.

4. Dance music is no longer that important to Radio 1 any more.

They're not whispers mate - Jules is definately going. Its been confirmed by Radio 1 and Jules himself.

Jules is continuing the club DJ'ing for 4 years alongside another career as an entertainment lawyer.

The reasons why Jules is going are unclear, but probably for all of the following reasons.

1. His age

2. Trance (and dance music in general) is no longer drawing the kind of audiences that it used to on Radio 1.

3. Jules is nowhere near as good as he used to be a few years ago.

4. Dance music is no longer that important to Radio 1 any more.

yeah i know he's definatley leaving, very sadly. but the reasons of whispers is as you said, because of age.

As an extra note, when Jules posts on Facebook, during his show, he gets about 18-25 comments, that's a piss poor response to someone who was so amazing. Jules has failed to move in the same direction as the music, he's let somebody else guide his musical choices, his personality is still amazing but the 'Jules experience' is perpetually disappointing.

I agree with that.

He has been slow to embrace the kind of platforms that DJs need to maximise in order to stay relevant.

I don't necessarily blame him for it - a DJ should be a good DJ - but the people around him have really let him down in the last few years

I think Jules has to accept a fair percentage of the blame too though - I think he's a little too "old-skool" and out of touch with the "current" sound. That was obvious with a lot of his productions and bootlegs over the past 2-3 years. They don't fit in with the present sound - and no other DJ also supports those tunes (and I think there's a good reason for that...).

Jules may have people around him, but at the end of the day, Jules doesn't have to work with them if they're not right for him. He has the power to say "Sorry Tristan, these tunes you're picking for me aren't really my thing/don't fit in with the current sound" - and either tell him to sort some different stuff out, or replace him completely.

Jules really doesn't see an issue though. As i've said before, i've been to gigs that Jules has played at and afterwards, his online diary has said "the crowd were well up for it" - even though they clearly weren't.

Jules is a legend - but his failure to spot his flaws (and loyalty to his tune filterer) over the past few years appear to have, ultimately, cost him his Radio 1 job.

Bootlegs and dodgy remixes of classics by bedroom producers isn't cutting edge, up-front, music that people want to hear. "Somebody screeeeeeam" certainly isn't what people want to hear either.

Omg I can still hear that jingle..

"it's Friday.. Yes it's Friday".

Quadders, never a truer word has been spoken!

Interesting you put that 'cos back in the day I had this argument at work with this guy who said it was 'It's Friday, lets party' or something like that...I assumed he was right as my hearing isn't that good; I thought it was what you put. (Not that it matters now as we've all gone separate ways....different companies etc)

I think Jules has to accept a fair percentage of the blame too though - I think he's a little too "old-skool" and out of touch with the "current" sound. That was obvious with a lot of his productions and bootlegs over the past 2-3 years. They don't fit in with the present sound - and no other DJ also supports those tunes (and I think there's a good reason for that...).

I agree, the only dj I ever heard playing one of Jules tunes was PVD back on his Vonyc Radio Show sometime in 2007 playing "Ordinary Day".

I dont even think Tristan plays them terrible J+T bootlegs, does he?