Your best clubbing 'moments'

Neuro

Everybody has 'moments' when they're clubbing which are particularly special. Usually they're unexpected happy occurrences in the middle dancing the night away, and for some reason they stick with you forever...

What are people's best clubbing memories or moments - and why?

A particular instance of Lost Witness's Happiness Happening bringing the crowd together is etched in to my memory...it was late on in the set, can't remember without checking my diaries as to who was on.

Another instance was at the 'pre-Progress club', a renovated church....an awesome sight of some students larging it to Todd Terry's 'Bad Boy' (the Loop Da Loop remix ID'd after finding this site! ...cheers JB...); Both very colourful recollections that I'd like to capture on canvas one day...

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of moments!

1) I remember being in Foundation in Newcastle to see Jules, I think it was November 2005. A dancefloor kiss with a perfect blonde occurred during Delerium's Silence (Above & Beyond Remix) - - but I remember the precise moment of the kiss because it occurred precisely where there's an unusual bassline change in one of the final choruses (honestly). I remember it as being significant, but in hindsight I think it was probably only because I got her on the guestlist. :P Who knows!

2) The second one which springs to mind was Ferry playing in Ministry (London) last year and he played his Pulse intro which created an incredible calming atmosphere, like everyone was drifting in the middle of the ocean - it was goose-pimple stuff. Then, inexplicably, an indoor firework went off! It was so bloody loud it scared everybody shitless, and me and @Noff both physically ducked for cover. I had visions of those Chinese nightclub disasters where the ceiling catches fire and the club burns down!!

Clubbing wise I remember the first Armin 9 hour set at Godskitchen in 2004. Was in attendance with a few mates and were going for it pretty much right from getting in there at 10pm (Armin was on fire and I, obviously, love the prog side of things massively).

There was a particularly amazing sequence of about 6 or 7 tracks around 3am which had the place going crazy before Armin, as any good long set DJ should, dropped it down a little to give people a chance to catch their breath. At this point I was seriously nackered, I went to sit down briefly upstairs (for those that know Air the small seating area to the right of the booth, where you have a view of things and a good sound from the mainroom) with my mates.

Then after about 3 or 4 tracks I heard Kay D Smith & Marc Tall "Praiseworthy Tunes" coming in from nowhere, the four of us just looked at each other and legged it to the front podium, bouncing around like idiots to the track (a collective favourite which at the time had yet to be IDed). It was pretty awesome and was at Armin's peak

DJing wise I've got plenty of tall tales and some magnificent memories. Some of them, as any DJ who played out regularly knows, are horror stories of bad promoters, clueless "warm-up" Djs and alike, but some are pure gold.

I guess my all time favourite DJing moment was playing ElectronicSessions "On The Thames Summer Spectacular" Boat Party in London (The Thames obviously!) in 2007.

I was lucky enough to be on the same lineup (and playing in the same room) as Mr Sam, Andrew Bennett & Niklas Harding and was booked to play second set, as the boat was in motion.

I still recollect perfectly the surreal moment as I played Nathan Fake "Outhouse" (an all time favourite) as my last track and turned my attention from the dancefloor to look out of the left hand side of the boat to see us floating past Big Ben and The Houses of Parliament! That was pretty special and a definite "moment"

Am enjoying reading these. :D

Back in the days of Jules residency at Gatecrasher, I forever asked my mates to come with me but they always dropped out so I got fed up and decided I was gonna go anyway, on my own. After a good 5-6 hrs travelling I got in as a VIP and had a good look around, in and out of everywhere, and spoke to loads of people, cyber kids, half naked girls, people who worked there, even had a conversation with Fergie, who att wasn't well known, I took his photo, even though I didn't know who he was, only realised when I had the camera developed and saw him in a large mix mag article about a month later. Anyway, Jules came on, the entire dance floor went wild, I was dancing my tits off on one of the bridge type things at the side, was so amazing, then a buff guy on the floor in front put me on his shoulders (I weighed a lot less in those days lol) anyway, I can't tell you what Jules played but the place was on bloody fire, he was well animated with his vinyl up in the DJ bit and my night turned out to be absolutely everything I dreamed it'd be like and more.

I dunno about best clubbing moment, but it was easily the best night clubbing of my life!!

Another moment I remember was in 2000 at a festival in Brighton, I'd taken too many tablets :) anyway, I must've been tripping coz I was waiting for ATB to come on, and I couldn't hear the music anymore, but when he came on I swear he looked like Frank Butcher, brown trilby, tweed coat, large seventies shades and a gold chain. I kept laughing and telling the randoms dancing next to me. A while after, ATB appeared on TV and I realised what a twat i'd been. I can still see him now though, Frank Butcher playing til I come. Lol

Sorry I know we shouldn't talk about narcotics, but it was a long time ago, and I was totally off my tits that day. (but can remember it)

I have so many more little memories to share, but I dunno if I oughta.

Best clubbing memories for me are:

1. Richard Durand @ The Gallery, Turnmills. It was just before Richard Durand was "discovered" and was playing as a relatively 'unknown' DJ. He played using 4 decks, and his set was very creative and full of trickery, looping and sampling - and he played tune after tune. Back then he was amazing, and it was the first time i'd saw him. I was blown away and remember leaving thinking "this guy is going to be better than Eddie Halliwell". Unfortunately, when he became "big", the trickery and 4-deck action stopped and his sets became very stale and predictable. That night was one of my best ever clubbing nights out though.

2. Eddie Halliwell @ The Gallery, Turnmills. I went along to see Eddie, and he was scheduled to play a 1 and a half hour set. I'm not sure who the other DJs on the line-up should have been (Lange and Mike Koglin ring a bell) - but for some reason, one of the never DJs turned up at all, and the other DJ turned up an hour late - so Eddie Halliwell ended up playing a 5 hour set. It was also a week or two after it was announced that Turnmills would be closing down forever - so the club was absolutely rammed with people that wanted to go to Turnmills for their last time - which resulted in an amazing atmosphere.

3. Judge Jules @ Global Gathering 2006. This was the first time i'd ever been to a set which was being broadcast live on Radio 1. It wasn't one of my best clubbing days - but definately one of the most memorable. The atmosphere is amazing as Jules walks onto the stage 5 minutes before he's live on Radio 1 and begins the countdown by saying "In 5 minutes time, we'll be live in Radio 1". As soon as the Radio 1 jingle kicks in as the show goes live, the whole tent erupts and goes mental. Definately one of those spine tingling moments.

With regards to DJ'ing memories - there aren't that many really as I didn't promote myself much as a DJ or push for gigs.

The two that stand out for me though are:

1. Can't remember the event name - but it was a smallish Trance night in Loughborough. The venue was quite long, but narrow, which made a quiet club look fairly full as everyone was quite close together at the front. It stands out for me because, everyone that was there was well up for it (which is rare in the Midlands - usually people are just out for a piss up rather than good Trance music). Also, the DJs on the line-up all complimented each other perfectly. A guy called Matt Farmer (top guy too!) was playing before me and built it up perfectly to my style. Usually, my style is very much "love or hate it" on the dancefloor because I generally play quite hard and fast which doesn't always go down too well with Trance 'purists' - but it went down a treat that night, as did all of the other DJs - so that stands out as one of my most enjoyable gigs.

2. Shameless plug for my old Beat Logistix night in Banbury. After building the events up over the period of 9 months or so, as things got busier, for one line-up, I'd booked John Kelly to play a classics set, and Fabio Stein too - playing alongside myself and an old friend. Fabio played an absolute blinder of a set, and left the dancefloor really busy. I played straight after him to close the night, and played probably the best set I had ever played (I was pretty buzzing - and I always play better when i'm really up for it) - and the club remained open past its 3am closing time until 4am. Fabio was there from the time the club opened until the time it closed - and he also brought along a friend of his who was a magician. His magician friend was at the front of the club doing tricks for people, and had people in amazement all night (I never believed in magic until I saw Fabio's friend performing tricks that were just unreal - such as making people 'hover' a foot off the ground. Amazing!). Amazing night for so many reasons and one that i'd love to re-live again tomorrow if I could.

• 7 months later...

One of my best moments, not so much musically related, perhaps humourous! Was back in Amnesia Ibiza 2000, was listening to a techno set by Jeff Mills at Cocoon. I was off my tits, and fairly "up" as it were when i noticed I knocked something behind me with my elbow. I turned round to see who I'd chinned, and sure enough a short german geezer on the stage behind me was stood there smiling at me with a tooth missing! I knocked his bottle of bud straight into his chops and took out one of his main nashers! he also manage to catch it as well, the lucky chap! He was pretty high and didn't mind at first. I showed apology, his english was poor, he then started shouting german at me, so I ran into the massive crowd....

Didn't see his comedown though..

Theres many a good moments for myself, ranging from walking out of shellys late one night ready for the drive home when the side of an articulated truck came down, to be greated by altern8 blasting out and filming there video for active8.

Then theres the set of Jermay Healy at renaissance at Manfield which rocked, at the end of the night he waited at the exit and thanked everyone as the walked out of the club.

Of course these are all old school and starting to show my age :eek:

But the one i remember the best of all was at luv 2 be in sheffield, i think it was Jermay Healy another great set, he dropped oasis wonderwall in half way through, but the best part was totally struting my stuff and singing my heart out to Alison Limerick where love lives and looking over to see another chap doing exactly the same and both just bursting in to fits of laughter. Great times.

Best clubbing moment: I used to live in Australia. In 1999 Jules flew all the way from London to Brisbane for one night only - a Wednesday night - to celebrate a club's 1st birthday. The build up to him arriving in the club and taking to the decks was just insane. He then proceeded to drop Lizard, Needle Damage, Happiness Happening, Friends Of Matthew etc - just TUNE after TUNE. The club was absolutely rammed, it was boiling and in every breakdown people screamed & whistled their heads off. It was the most incredible night!!

Best DJing Moment: I played an outdoor party in Ibiza in 2006, up in the hills. I was on the decks as the sun came up. I played Til West's 'Same Man' (off vinyl, OF COURSE!) - it was a big record that Summer ... it went off.