all time favourite set

breadbin

Loads of great Jules sets over the years but if I had to pick one, it would probably be his Homelands 2003 set on R1. Headed out to Ibiza for the first time a few days after this was broadcast & it holds loads of brilliant memories from that holiday & that particular summer season in general :)

can't pick one and stick with it, but i've been feeling the gatecrasher summer sound system set from 2001 for 12 months now. '01 was a seriously brilliant year and time for me in dance music, they year i had my first decks. every track in those two hours is worth listening to for me.

then his soundcity set inoctober 1997 from oxford uni is another standout. i remember the explosion of speed garage about that time, and there's something amazing going on when he plays that lucid track towards the end. i can hear it echoing through time 15 years on, i wonder where all those people are now who were there that night and what they are up to?

there's something amazing going on when he plays that lucid track towards the end. i can hear it echoing through time 15 years on

You say "something" going on, so true... I know precisely what you mean sir! There's no words for THAT indescribable 'atmosphere' at certain moments, Jules certainly created many for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about this one, since it was first posted, but I just can't say that "one" particular set is my favourite. I could say I love one, but then I think of another I love equally as much, to me there are so many awesome ones, with their own little niché as to why.

Back in the day though, I do remember hearing him on my radio on Saturday afternoon, live at cafe Mambo and having conversations with friends the week after, like "omg did you hear Judge Jules on Saturday, really made me wish I was there" :)

I used to avoid the live shows a little bit, coz I'd be sad or jealous that I wasn't there. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I can't put one set as the best, simply because there is too many really good sets to choose from :)

A few of my personal faves though...

Portsmouth Uni, 26-01-2001

Live from Qontact, 29-06-2001

Homelands 26-05-2001

Saturday Show, Gatecrasher SSS; 16-06-2001

Also Jules live from Pulse, Biringham Essential mix 1999 is up there with my favourite Jules mix.

Yeah, probably this one for me too. Its still a regular in my car now. That mix sums up Jules's old style perfectly - pacey (140bpm+) tunes that were a combination of Trance and Euro-House music that he used to play - and actually, the mixes are really good too. There's one mix in particular that is around 2 minutes in length - whereas Jules of recent times barely managed 30 second mixes (and even then, the majority of them were poor).

The other favourite mix for me is London Mardi Gras 2002. Its very rare I like every tune that a DJ plays, but I liked every single tune that Jules played in that set - and his mixing was fantastic too! Really energetic, smooth mixes.

Saturday, 5:00pm - 7:00pm

Live from The London Mardi Gras

1. Joy Kitikonti - 'Joy Don't Stop' [bXR]

2. Fergie - 'Bass Generator' [Duty Free/Decode]

3. VPL - 'T-Break' (Steve Murano Mix) [Closet]

4. Ten Revolutions - 'Time For The Revolution' [incentive]

5. Paul Masterson pres. Sushi - 'The Earthshaker' [You Clash/NuLife]

6. Jam X & De Leon - 'Can You Dig It?' [serious]

7. Jurgen Vries - 'The Theme' [FFRR]

8. Scott Mac pres. DJ Cams - 'Just Doing It' [Limit]

9. The Moon - 'Shake It' (CJ Bolland Big Bone Mix) [byte]

10. Snap! vs Plaything - 'Do You See The Light?' (Steve Murano Mix) [Data]

11. Dave Joy - 'First Impression' [Planet Traxx]

12. Dark Monks - 'Insane' (Steve Murano Mix) [incentive]

13. Syntone - 'Can't Believe It' [silicon]

14. BK - 'Revolution' [Nukleuz]

15. The Clergy - 'Oboe Song' (The Green Martian Mix) [FFRR]

16. Yves Deruyter - 'Calling Earth' (2002 Mix) [bonzai]

had forgotten about Syntone "Can't Believe It" - what a tune!

Definately. One of my favouritea - simple but effective. I used to cane it around 2003 - and then it found its way back into my CD wallet for a few months last year just before I hung up the headphones.

2002 was also the year of Steve Murano. Everything he did that year was fantastic (albeit very similar in style - but that was what worked for him). He then vanished off the radar :( I think he started producing Tech-House under his real name :(

Have forgot about that Pulse, Biringham Essential mix in 1999...

A great set that was and also a very good crowd :) Think I'll listen back to that again.

There's quite a few of these sets for me, so will have to have a bit of a think, but one's that stick out are; Qontact, Homelands and Creamfields 2002.

• 5 months later...