Gladiator now we are free acetate

Jonnye959

Thanks for the sample Jonny. If anyone is interested, the acetate appears to be a one-off double-sided Evolve test pressing of:

Gladiator feat. Izzy - 'Now We Are Free' (Original Mix) [Evolve]

Although not the elusive Jules version, it sounds in near mint condition so it definitely deserves a good home and might be a good opportunity for someone to nab a bit of steel as opposed to the usual vinyl :)

• 2 years later...

Right then I have had a revisit of this and I am convinced that the tune I have is different from the gladiator feat izzy as mentioned above, I have listened to the track on YouTube and don't think it is the track I have on acetate... I think the best thing for me would be to ask if anybody has the gladiator tune that JJ played, the elusive one that is so coveted and see if the one I have is the same, so I shall ask now in the hope someone can help, does anyone have a sample of said track? I am convinced I have the acetate of it and need to confirm!

Right then I have had a revisit of this and I am convinced that the tune I have is different from the gladiator feat izzy as mentioned above, I have listened to the track on YouTube and don't think it is the track I have on acetate... I think the best thing for me would be to ask if anybody has the gladiator tune that JJ played, the elusive one that is so coveted and see if the one I have is the same, so I shall ask now in the hope someone can help, does anyone have a sample of said track? I am convinced I have the acetate of it and need to confirm!

Hi you can download the set he did on 29.4.2001 live from Qontact and then listen to the last track which is Jules's own version of Gladiator. Here is the link address http://www.judgejulesarchive.co.uk/archives/board/index.php?/files/file/189-2001-04-29-judge-jules-live-from-qontact/

He also played it again live @ Homelands in 2001 but think this is a slightly different version of his own mix.

http://www.judgejulesarchive.co.uk/archives/board/index.php?/files/file/206-2001-05-26-judge-jules-live-from-homelands/

Here is a link to the discussion about Jules's version of Gladiator. There are also other discussions regarding this subject but haven't got time to look for them. http://www.judgejulesarchive.co.uk/archives/board/index.php?showtopic=4114

found another one for you http://www.judgejulesarchive.co.uk/archives/board/index.php?showtopic=24&hl=gladiator

• 2 weeks later...

The plot doesn't thicken as Jules did his own version of Gladiator which was rejected by Hans Zimmer. Darren Tate did his own version titled "Now We Are Free" which had nothing to do with Jules. Jules talked about it on his own radio 1 show ( Darren Tate's version) as at the time the artist was unknown so there was speculation it was Jules's version. Jules confirmed it wasn't his on his show. As previously stated if you look back on some of the discussions on this forum all should become clear :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have read, the Hans Zimmer bootleg was done by Jules and Paul Masterson - Jules didn't produce that bootleg entirely on his own. After contacting Paul, he confirmed that he didn't do it and also double checked with Darren who did his own cover of it which we all know as it was released.

My point is that both producers (who worked with Jules on numerous occassions) did not make the bootleg with him hence the plot does thicken because we don't know who did!

My point is that both producers (who worked with Jules on numerous occassions) did not make the bootleg with him hence the plot does thicken because we don't know who did!

I'm confused now :confused: . Are you referring to the "JJ remix on acetate" or Jules's own version of Gladiator that he played live @ Homelands and @ Qontact. in April and May 2001? Jules explained in great detail on his R1 show that he had done his own versions of Gladiator which he wasn't allowed to play any more as Hans Zimmer didn't like it. As far as l'm aware he didn't do these with anyone else they were all his own work.

• 1 month later...

I'm referring to Jules's own version of Gladiator featured @ Homelands, Qontact and also played at Gatecrasher. What I am trying to say is that Jules would have had a co-producer to support him on the production of that bootleg and I was given to understand that it was either Darren Tate or Paul Masterson - neither of whom made that specific bootleg with Jules so it must have been someone else.

Also was Jonnye959's copy Jules's acetate in the end?

I can confirm it wasn't unfortunately. From memory it was an early test pressing of Darren Tate's version - definitely not the elusive Jules Qontact/Homelands version. See my post above :)

I'm referring to Jules's own version of Gladiator featured @ Homelands, Qontact and also played at Gatecrasher. What I am trying to say is that Jules would have had a co-producer to support him on the production of that bootleg and I was given to understand that it was either Darren Tate or Paul Masterson - neither of whom made that specific bootleg with Jules so it must have been someone else.

Apologies Jivemaster l didn't know that Jules would have needed a co-producer, l just assumed Jules had put it together himself. Just out of interest why would Jules need a co-producer to support him on the production of that bootleg?

Apologies Jivemaster l didn't know that Jules would have needed a co-producer, l just assumed Jules had put it together himself. Just out of interest why would Jules need a co-producer to support him on the production of that bootleg?

Around the time that he released that bootleg, there was an influx of Trance-related co-productions which he spearheaded from the likes of Angelic, Hi-Gate and some involvement with Yomanda etc. He jumped from producing sub-standard housey sounds to full-scale Trance productions and the Gladiator bootleg he did was a pure trancer.

As I have said Chrissie, I have my doubts that he did this on his own. He would certainly be the strong driving force and no question of a doubt that his creative direction would be imperative. He was also going to collaborate with Conductor & Cowboy on one of their tracks around that time too, but that never happened. If he is just listed on the credits, it would more than likely be a ghost producer supporting him.

• 2 weeks later...

I've emailed Jules - twice - in the past asking about this track and contrary to what he always used to do for all fans and still states on his website, I've never got a reply :(

Personally, I think this is an entirely solo production. I recall he said on air he was a big fan of the film and that inspired him to produce. I also think his offering was one of the first out on the scene before Tate's and subsequently Dave Lambert's guise of Gladiator, which became titled "Now We Are Free (feat Lizzy)". This was cleared for release as it changed the sample used from the film quite a lot.

On a quick separate note, Jivemaster, how did you get in touch with Paul Masterton and Darren Tate? I'd like to contact Masterson as I need help with a few tracks, which is a long shot, but I'd like to enquire :)

I'd love to agree with you but I've never seen Jules as a producer, just don't think he's particularly production savy enough to pull off a full-on trance bootleg like that unless there's a ghost producer in the background

Facebook and Twitter, for instance Darren Tate is @darrentate

Paul Masterson - https://www.facebook.com/YOMANDAMUSIC

Darren Tate - https://www.facebook.com/darrentatemusic (Like Page) and normal facebook page https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=610901637&fref=ts

I'd beg to differ, and do think he did.

There's elements from the track you can hear in his other productions; granted those were colabs with Masterson, but you could always tell, esp with Hi-Gate material what was Jules signatory and what was Masteron.

Edit: I've managed to find a rip (from this site originally) which has Jules saying on air the background of the track. Listen for yourselves, but he definitely says: "...when the film came out, via a connection at a record company, managed to get the original score to this, made my record with it, got Hans Zimmer's permission, played itto him and - saying this is what I've done, and he said no way are you putting that out. So I was never able to release the record despite getting a load of support from other DJs..."

I'd offer again to email Jules as I'd love to still know what the true answer to what we're discussing here is, but I'm guessing from no responses to my email, on this particular matter, I've probably miffed him - 'cos I did also ask if there would be change I could get a copy of the track to finish up my tribute mix to him, this site and his Radio 1 show's for getting me in to dance music :s

I left the mix unfinished hoping for a response, but unfortunately had to proceed and instead finished up with no doubt another one of his personal fave's, Brainbug. The mix is here is your interested :)

http://www.judgejulesarchive.co.uk/archives/board/index.php?/topic/7919-sensation-mixed-by-aza/

2003 - Judge Jules talking about his Gladiator track.mp3

Edited by Aza

I'm sure we'd all love to conclude this, it's such a great track :). Just listened to that clip where he talks about it and he mentions that loads of djs were supporting his bootleg on CD (I think that's what he says). I seem to vaguely recall Scott Bond supporting a Gladiator Trance bootleg which could quite possibly be Jules's version. He was part of Serious DJ agency back then and was managed by Jules's brother Sam, so supporting material as well as Serious record label tracks would usually go hand in hand. I just seem to remember it went down well at Gatecrasher but am not familiar with any other DJs who played it.

That tracklisting looks excellent Aza!! That's a proper Judge Jules "Trance" tracklisting. None of the housey stuff, just proper Trance, looks great! :)

I'd certainly encourage you to ask him again and anybody else on this forum to see if we can get a copy. I'm sure persistence is the key and I really don't see any reason why he can't just make it available for download now especially with the amount of bootlegs being given away by respective big names these days due to the simple fact that they simply can't get clearance.

In the mean-time, does anybody have this Hans Zimmer - Gladiator Theme (Judge Jules Remix) (Tim Traill's Acetate Reconstruction)? I saw that Fuzzy posted it a good 5 years back.

I'd beg to differ, and do think he did.

There's elements from the track you can hear in his other productions; granted those were colabs with Masterson, but you could always tell, esp with Hi-Gate material what was Jules signatory and what was Masteron.

Edit: I've managed to find a rip (from this site originally) which has Jules saying on air the background of the track. Listen for yourselves, but he definitely says: "...when the film came out, via a connection at a record company, managed to get the original score to this, made my record with it, got Hans Zimmer's permission, played itto him and - saying this is what I've done, and he said no way are you putting that out. So I was never able to release the record despite getting a load of support from other DJs..."

I'd offer again to email Jules as I'd love to still know what the true answer to what we're discussing here is, but I'm guessing from no responses to my email, on this particular matter, I've probably miffed him - 'cos I did also ask if there would be change I could get a copy of the track to finish up my tribute mix to him, this site and his Radio 1 show's for getting me in to dance music :s

I left the mix unfinished hoping for a response, but unfortunately had to proceed and instead finished up with no doubt another one of his personal fave's, Brainbug. The mix is here is your interested :)

http://www.judgejulesarchive.co.uk/archives/board/index.php?/topic/7919-sensation-mixed-by-aza/

I agree Aza, I've also got this clip downloaded (somewhere) of Jules explaining why HIS version of Gladiator was rejected. I feel sure that the reason he hasn't responded to emails on this subject is not because you have miffed him, l just think he wants to draw a line under it and move on.