Depression

lennox2s2s

I have recurring depression, similar to bi-polar with mood swings that change in a split second from loving life and skipping along in the sunshine to feelings of hopelessness despair and suicidal thoughts. Acute anxiety and insomnia and nightmares. Lol

I enjoy listening to old and new music alike, if it's good.

Are you implying that depression and Judge Jules are in some way linked? :)

I believe depression is a state of mind and will power like anything like giving up fags ect you need will power i suffered from depression all my life from being bullied when i was at primary school right the way up till college often i thought suicidal thoughts and felt so alone but you need to realise 1 day that you can be strong and overcome things and only you can change your life for the better no one else , listening to old classic jules is very inspiring and i often do this when i'm feeling like i'm not going to make it in music this gives me a push to carry on like i say before only you can change your life and achieve fulfillment in your life.

Have to agree about listening to the classic shows.

When times got bad for me I listened to shows I downloaded from here quite a lot. It dosen't remind me of going out or anything, I was too young back then. It just reminded me of being a kid and listening to stuff like that on the radio and on my minidisc player etc.

I didn't have worries back then like money and girls, so it was kind of an escape.

I avoided listening to anything, as it would make me more depressed to think of happier times I'd had. But my depression is brought about by chemicals in my brain and not any particular significant events.

I find now that music is my saviour, as keeping busy is what helps me most so I listen to music when I'm running, when I'm home, wAlking to or from work, and used to listen at work until they stopped the music. So I'm looking for a new job actually.

Today I am playing Hi-gate : split personality and it is keeping me going. I love listening to old and new music, mixes or otherwise, I am feeling tons better now I play music again.

I don't think you can lift yourself totally out of a depression but you do have to put in some effort to get better. Which can be hard when life feels completely pointless or hard to deal with. It does take effort, I have learned how to help myself, occasionally now I slip back down, but I know what I have to do now, to get back up.

Regular sleeping pattern is also key to a good mood. :)

Regular sleeping pattern is also key to a good mood. :)

There's my problem in a nutshell. I don't suffer from depression at all ( I don't think), but my sleeping patters are awful. Can go a full week, or even two or three, of being fine/normal, then have one night where it doesn't matter what I do, I'll be staring at the walls at 5am.

Listening to classic Jules makes me happy, I have a borderline personality. And my mood swings are terrible.

I am moving to Mansfield area now shortly as I start a new job there as a nutritionist, hopefully my life will improve a bit now with this move.

Drink does not help depression.

I don't drink. Just doesn't bother me, I drink alcohol prob 2 times a year 3 at the most. If I get the urge.

My friend swears by those Nytol tablets when she's having stress or insomnia. I also told another friend this recently as he'd lost his job and his sleeping pattern was totally shite, and I know you need sleep to be able to do every other function in life properly. It helped him immediately to take herbal Nytol.

I take medication but not sleeping tablets as they are so addictive. I had a phase of actually not sleeping at all, not even for a few minutes for about two weeks, drove me mental in the end. Especially with tinnitus too. I took sleeping pills for about a month after just to establish a pattern while my anti-everything else pills kicked in.

I'm nearly 40 and have been ill since about 12. Only in the last two years have I finally learnt to deal with it, and had the correct help to do so. :D

I've suffered with depression for years on-and-off. I've no idea why - there's nothing in particular that is irritating me deep down. Some days I feel fine, some days I feel like putting my fist through a wall. I don't actually think the "experts" know about it and its causes either properly. They like to play the old "eat healthy" and "keep fit" wildcard whenever I mention it to "the experts" - but once upon a time, I was a healthy eater, I was mega fit at just 11 stone in weight, used to bike ride 20 miles per day, and I either played football or cricket every night. I felt depressed. Now I eat crap, i'm unfit, overweight, and rarely do anything to keep fit. I'm still depressed.

I've had medication for it in the past and generally found it to be rather useless - so I don't bother now. I just accept it and get on with it. These days, I just avoid going out or coming onto internet forums if i'm feeling particularly down because I find myself coming across as very aggressive over trivial things that I read. I'm handling it better than I used to now so I don't let it beat me.

I've paid off any old debts that I used to have, i've had a couple of operations to cure ongoings health problems caused by my old job, and i've just started to work for myself - so I think that will start to perk me up a bit over the next few months now those little niggles are behind me.

DJ'ing was a massive help for me at one point though. Its amazing how having a mix at home for a few hours, or even in the clubs at weekends, made me feel so much better mentally. At one point, DJ'ing kept me going. I absolutely loved it and it was one area where I could "escape". Once those headphones were on, it shut me off from "the outside world". Unfortunately, I got a bit fed up with the scene two-or-three years ago which then saw me taking that negatively out DJ'ing too and I lost the love for it (which probably contributed 50% towards me deciding to hang up the headphones a year ago). Even now though, at home, there's only two things which really perk me up when i'm having a shitter - and thats digging out some old tunes and playing them loud for a while, or going karting (i'm quite an aggressive, passionate kart driver - so that allows me to take my aggression out on the track rather than myself and other people).

I think the important part of depression is understanding it yourself, accepting it, learning what makes you feel better - and doing what makes you feel better as often as you can. From past experience, the "experts" don't have a clue. Eating 3 apples a day or climbing Everest once a week isn't going to make you feel better.

I take medication but not sleeping tablets as they are so addictive.

Try "Zopiclone" - its a really effective sleeping tablet, that helps you fall asleep quickly. Its not aggressive, its not addictive and it doesn't make you feel groggy or make you feel like you've done ten rounds with Mike Tyson when you wake up.

Before my ops, I was in a lot of pain and tried numerous sleeping tablets - most of which were very aggressive, made me feel shit, or knocked me out for a really deep 12+ hours sleep - and then left me still needing like I need more sleep when I woke up.

Then my doctor put me onto Zopiclone as a last resort - and they work really well. You feel like you've slept naturally - and there's no after effects. It doesn't put you into a really deep, aggressive, sleep like some of the other tablets and they're not addictive.

In my lowest moments, music has always kept me going. I would ever go as far as to say that it has helped me though every single bad moment in my life! :)

One of things that fascinates me is how a specific track will trigger a memory. I once won on the horses and came back and fell asleep to Revelation - King of Clubs in my headphones. Now, years later, whenever I hear that track, it take me straight back to that time of that horse win, and I love that.

Music is so powerful. Let it help you - for it is the medicine of the mind. :)

I have been taking Zopiclone for nearly a year now for sleep. To be hinest I am completely addicted to it, I still cant belive the doctor still gives me prescriptions for it. It leaves a very strong metallic taste in your mouth the next morning, I dont take it every night just nights when I am extremely tired and cant sleep.

To deal with my depression I just try and stay in the moment, I try and practice mindfullness with the help of a therapist. I find mindfullness is much better than medication. When ever I get very depressed I could put my fist through a brick wall, my head is just like a traffic jam with my thoughts all over the place, It drives you crazy and then I go on the beer which only makes things even worse. Drink and depression do not help.

I've heard of mindfullness, but i dunno what it involves?

Well I've had Zopiclone, amongst other stuff but to the longterm nature of my sleep issues I was prescribed Mirtazipine to calm my erratic mind, unfortunately although it help my sleeping (stopped the continuous nightmares etc) it did stimulate my appetite and after two years of telling my doctor this, and taking up running, and giving up smoking again, I gained 4 stone. So I finally got given some pregaballin, which was temporary and up for review this week actually.that is to stabilise my mood, and since starting them, I haven't wanted to step in front of a lorry. I have lost a stone since stopping the appetite stimulant. Jeez it was like no matter what I ate, I was never full.

Clubbing kept me alive for many years, it was what I lived for, no matter how boring life got, how skint I got, how ugly I felt etc etc, I could go out and dance all night to amazing music, chat with people, escape reality. I did take recreational drugs too alot, and although in the longterm it may not have helped, it did at the time, and was not the initial cause for me as I'd attempted suicide 3 times before at 14-15-16 and never touched a drug until I was about 20.

Mixing too gave me pleasure and having to stop that did leave me with a void. I do take anti depressants now, and they do help, I seriously would have jumped off a tall building in the last two years without them. I went proper mad. Couldn't shut my brain up, and am left a bit mad, and OCD about some things.

In the same way that someone can have an illness like diabetes in the pancreas that needs medication to keep them alive, I have an illness in my brain that also requires medication.

This forum helps from time to time.

I agree with Quadders about the tracks jogging specific memories/feelings I love that too. I also get this from specific perfumes and other smells too lol even if I was unaware of a smell at the time, some smells just make me close my eyes and remember. :)

• 2 weeks later...

A good woman would make us all happy!

Are there any good ones?

Women near my area seem like utter imbeciles, I find that out the more I get to know them. Anyone any good is taken at 24, my age. That's why i've been looking further afield, i've been in touch with a girl who lives around 30 mile away. I'll just see how it goes I guess.

A good woman would make us all happy!

Are there any good ones?

Women near my area seem like utter imbeciles, I find that out the more I get to know them. Anyone any good is taken at 24, my age. That's why i've been looking further afield, i've been in touch with a girl who lives around 30 mile away. I'll just see how it goes I guess.

I agree brother, good woman are hard to find, they are virtually extinct. Most woman seem nice at first but as the friendship develops you soon realize that they are basically stuck up!! And usually grumpy also,

I had a nice woman last year for 9 months but in the end she turned out a control freak, It was like she had a GPS system monitoring my every move. Then the arguments were like a court case as I had to explain everything and all my actions,