jules mixing

djady

Yes. But I think Music had better buildups and breakdowns back then, so he could draw the mixes out a lot better. I liked the fact that he'd throw all sorts in with his live broadcasts, Techno into Trance, then sometimes slow down for House.

Good point with the longer buildups and breakdowns in the older dance music = actual longer mixes.

The attention span of a clubber has diminished I think - it's all about the 5-minute edited peak, trough, and peak, whereas the older style tracks were longer and had very DJ-friendly intros and outtros, not to mention a middle portion of simpleness which also permitted an earlier window to mix out of.

You only have to look at Mr Armin van Buuren's early stuff, some of them are 12-minute wonders! You'd never see that today.

FOSHO!!

And more everything with it, passionate, animated, spectalular......... not so much in a skilled or unskilled way, just BETTER!

TBF the records were better too, and the art of mixing has changed alot, and perhaps moved on from what Jules was greatest at.

Yes. But I think Music had better buildups and breakdowns back then, so he could draw the mixes out a lot better.

True to some extent - but even with some of the more recent tunes with long intros, Jules edited them so much to make them much shorter - so therefore, he was choosing not to do long mixes by editing the intros down in length.

The best example of that was Mark Norman - Brasillia from around 5-6 years ago. Fantastic tune, with lots of energy and a really long intro - giving the opportunity to pull off a really long, energetic mix - but Jules edited a rather large chunk out of it - and completely destroyed the intro. In fact, the part where Jules mixed it in sounded really odd.

Unfortunately, Jules just let his standards slip as the years went on. Most of his bad mixes weren't through bad beatmatching - 95% of them were down to mixing tunes that just didn't compliment each other, and they clashed terribly because there were out of key or just didn't suit each other. His mixes became random and ill-thought out. This had been pointed out by numeous people to Jules (some of whom post on here) by email - to which Jules would always respond with "the crowd were really up for it" - and dismissed it outright. The same applied to his online diary. He'd state that a club was "rocking" and the "crowd were loving it" - even though i'd been at a few events that he'd referred to with those comments - and Jules had actually killed the dancefloor.

I'm not sure what happened - whether Jules had become genuinely oblivious to where things were going wrong and didn't see it himself, or whether he was choosing to ignore it all knowing that he could still fill clubs regardless of how good or bad he played simply because he was a household name that people would go out to see because they knew who he was.

Ultimately, whatever the reason, he lost most of his original fans, lost his slot on Radio 1, and I predict he'll finish outside the DJ Mag Top 100 for the first time in his career when the results are announced in a month or so's time.

Its sad to see - but Jules hasn't been at his peak for around 10 years - and, in my opinion, the final nail in the coffin was 4 years ago when he went from "occasionally good, occasionally bad" but still worth going to see - to "shocking" and a DJ to stay clear of. His poor mixing, attempts at "scratching", poor tunes and "somebody screeeeeeeeeeeeam" voiceovers in respectable clubs such as Godskitchen and Passion just made it unbearable to listen to, and if i'm honest, very cringey!

He was once a DJ that would be the highlight of my night. Over the past few years, he's become the DJ that has ruined my night.

I tend to agree with the records changing but so's the technology... I have experienced this and found myself having to learn how to loop for example and get the tunes working for you rather than you working to them.

Each to their I guess, but it also does offer you more flexibility and creativity...

Agree with a few of Briggsy's points - I don't think the medium necessarily influenced his mixing, he just let his standards slip over time.

The edits didn't help and made it easier to get lazy with his mixing

Someone posted a clip on here demonstrating just how little attention Jules was actually paying to his mixing. He was literally whacking in the cd just before it was time to mix, and adjusting the pitch as he was actually mixing with little or no cuing done. That's just plain lazy, to be honest. He's more interested in those God awful jingles and playing up to the crowd than his bread and butter.

Everybody has their own mixing style and certainly in the older (vinyl-only) shows I can often pick out Jules's mixing above all others - I'm not sure why, it's just his steady-steady approach to it, careful to introduce the incoming track the most milliseconds of moments behind the current one so by the time the mix is in a 50:50 blend it's spot on beatmatched. I'm not sure if anyone else thinks this, maybe it's my ears but after listening to so many of his mixes now I notice it a lot :)

His CD/mp3 mixing in recent years is much harder to pick, mostly because the actual mixing time is shorter but also because a lot of the pre-recorded shows in the mid/late 2000s had (incredibly) a jingle or even DJ chit-chat right over the actual mixing.

I do honestly think that a lot of creativity has gone out of mixing since CDJ's come along, then it may be the tracks as well as that.

When there's about 500 million sub genres in each type of dance music, and they are churning them out on soundcloud becuase they don't have to pay for the promo's to be pressed onto vinyl anymore. Then it's got to lose the quality.

I agree with you briggsy those jingles somebody scream is just annoying but we are a lot older now and we know what good music is most of jules crowds now

He pulls in are of very young age who loves all that cheesey jingle shit and are most likely not to pushed on his mixing and proper trance tune selection but they be more in to commercial dance shit that's why jules does a lot of them mashups with likes of lana what's her face and ellie goulding

To be fair though - I do not know anyone, no matter how young, drunk, ignorant, stupid, smacked off their tits, retarded, etc who thinks a jingle saying "Somebody screeeeaaaam" sounds anything but shit

There's a time and a place for those jingles - they probably work fine in a small commercial bar, or Luminar Leisure-esque venue, in the middle on Workington on a Saturday night where the crowd are not very clued up and just want to listen to commercial music whilst drinking their £1 shot offers.

The likes of Passion, Godskitchen, Gatecrasher and the Ministry of Sound, where 95% of the crowd are very clued-up and want to hear "proper" dance music and mixing, where the crowd are specifically going for the DJs and music on offer, rather than to drink as much alcohol as they can for as little as they can spend, is not the right place.

It makes me wonder whether the likes of The Gallery etc haven't approached him, or his management and had a word, saying it wasn't what they wanted? As Briggsy says, it's becoming of the tackier end of club culture, which is surely what these clubs do not want to be associated with.I'm sure even Jules would have a re-think then.

It really is a puzzler, as the last thing you'd call Jules is arrogant, or pig-headed, but seemingly when it comes to these jingles, he doesn't want to, or simply just won't listen to the feedback. I'd defy him to show me as much positive feedback about the jingles (etc) as negative. No way people are telling him it's adding anything to their experience.

There's no way they would risk pissing him off, even the big venues and promotions value his ability to pull a crowd and they've all been working with him for forever too (and in the glory days he must have had a collossal amount of pulling power).

It'd need to be handled carefully and done properly to get him to listen - but then he'd probably be playing BCM and they'd be the highlight of the night for the 18-30 crowd!