jules mixing

djady

Its not as simple asking him not to do them anyway. Jules stated in his online diary a while back that his contractual rider had been amended to include an extra deck specifically for those shit jingles.

As its part of his contractual rider, then there wouldn't be any way around it. If you book him, you'd either have to agree to his contract - or not get him at all.

That said, you would have thought that Jules would use some common sense - and use those jingles where they fit in. Passion does not fit in (and he did actually play them at Passion).

Just a thought, but did he use those jingles at 'like it's 1999' a few months back?

No he didn't, they were nowhere to be heard!

He seemed stone cold sober that night but yet very relaxed and happy and it showed in the mixing, all of them were long, quality mixes with a sensible tempo (although there is another discussion which I won't respark here in that the tunes obviously encourage that style of mixing more...).

Anyway the last few seconds of the end of the first video above (from 4:44 but start it 10 secs before to see what I mean) show a glimpse of a magic moment as the bass is switched during the mix into Alena's Turn It Around, Space Bros rethink - which I had sent to him a few days before - it all just seemed pretty effortless, as if it were kid's play, a bit of fun :)

He's as good as he ever was if he wants to be then.

I still think there is a market for the classics like above, why play electro house and dubstep because everyone else is doing that anyway these days.

I agree with you chaps, the tunes & mixing in those 2 clips sound great!

We're starting to touch on topics here which have been covered elsewhere;

He's moved in a direction that many of us wouldn't personally choose and can't understand, but I'm sure that there are many 16-23 year olds who think he is amazing right now!!

May be he chose to target that audience intentionally rather than continue to compete with his former trance chums who, whilst also changing their sound, have stayed closer to where they were 10 years ago. He is very business-minded, as evidenced by his other ventures - clothing, restaurant, etc. He has also always been more commercial than most, ie. BCM rather than Space.

May be he's always made business decisions when it comes to what direction to take - he jumped from funk & soul to acid house and then onto trance. He did rather well out of the whole trance explosion!! He then proceeded to sell off / give away his entire record collection - something that many of us record collectors would never dream of. Then, when Radio 1 wanted more funky, cheesy electro tunes he went off in that direction and kept them happy for a few more years.

I don't know if many of you read his interview in the back of May's DJ Mag? Lucky 7 asks DJ's about their most influential records and record collection. I didn't think it sounded like he particularly has a passion for his records.

Despite all that, he was a hero of mine in the late nineties and early noughties and I owe my love of vinyl & DJing to him.

We will probably never know the truth, or will that autobiography reveal all?? (and net Jules more £££'s) :thumbsup:

Have I missed something or just being really stupid here? Has he ever mentioned writing a book about it all?

I'm not really a reader, I usually spend my time burning multiple copies of 50 Shades of Gray. But that's a book I'd love to read.

I'd imagine it would be something he would do once he completely packs in DJing, or at least really winds things down.

I'd definitely buy it, the guy has a great way with words and must have some magnificent tales to tell from throughout his career

Agreed, I'd buy it. I have only followed him from his late Kiss FM days and then R1. Would love to hear stories about what he was doing in the 80s and early 90s.... probably just "graft" and a great deal of fun along the way, as they say :)