2012-03-30 - Judge Jules, Studio Session (last show)

FuzzY-LogiC

2012-03-30 - Judge Jules, Studio Session (last show)

View File

01. Omnia & Ira - 'The Fusion' [Coldharbour Red]

02. Ellie Goulding - 'Lights' (J&T Project Remix) [white label]

03. Hanski - 'Fool's Paradise' [Armada]

04. Rank 1 & Jochen Miller - 'Wild & Perfect Day' (Cosmic Gate Remix) [High Contrast]

05. Judge Jules - 'The Attack' [Vandit Records]

06. Tritonal - 'Can't Keep It In' [Air Up There]

07. W-Unit - 'Acid Impact' [white label]

08. Alexander Popov - 'When The Sun' [s107]

09. Marlo - 'Evolution' [A state Of Trance]

10. Ashley Wallbridge - 'Mumbai Traffic' [AVA]

11. Tristan D & Garry Heaney - 'Island Of Dreams' [white label]

The Classic: Danny Howard

12. Gabriel & Dresden Feat. Molly Bancroft - ' Tracking Treasure Down' [Organized Nature]

Tried & Tested

13. Rafaël Frost - 'Channel 4' [Flashover]

14. Ayla - 'Ayla' (Original DJ Taucher Mix) [Additive]

15. Red Light District - 'Did You Hear Me?' (Phase III Mix) [Additive / Planet Love Classics]

16. ATB - '9PM (Till I Come)' [MOS/Kontor]

17. Ralph Fridge - 'Angel' [incentive]

18. Angelic - 'Can't Keep Me Silent' [serious]

19. Tillman Urmacher - 'On The Run' (Ocean To Shore Extended Mix) [Direction / Fog Area Trance]

20. Ferry Corsten - 'Rock Your Body Rock' [Positiva]

21. Gladiator feat. Izzy - 'Now We Are Free' [Evolve]

22. Marcel Woods - 'Advanced' [High Contrast]

23. Above & Beyond - 'Alone Tonight' (Club Mix) [Anjunabeats]

24. Sander van Doorn - 'The Riff' [Doorn]

25. Will Atkinson - 'Cloud Surfing' [CGI]

26. Matt Darey - 'See The Sun' (Gilbert Renoir & Dyor Remix) [Nocturnal]

27. Mike Shiver & Fandy - 'Sique' (Ronski Speed Remix) [Captured Music]

28. Max Graham - 'So Caught Up' (Joint Operations Centre Remix) [Rebrand]

29. Breakfast - 'Somewhere Up There' (The Deep End EP) [white label]

• 3 weeks later...

I feel honoured to be the first to reply to this.

Thanks for the memories, Jules. You frustrated and delighted in equal measure but we wouldn't have it any other way. And if it wasn't for your shows I would never have discovered dance music. Thank you!

07. W-Unit - 'Acid Impact' [white label]

Also good to see another yet another member of this board get his work played. And on the last show too, congrats @thirddrive :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I listened to this show for the first time today whilst out for a run. I missed it when originally broadcast due to work commitments and I’d stopped listening to Jules when his regular show times changed.

Even though I had diverged from him musically by this point it’s still a sad occasion recorded here.  I’d refrained from listening to this almost out of denial that this era had truly come to a close.

I know we had a separate thread for his departure (link), but it’s a shame to see such a quiet response from the board discussing this show given we are Jules’ strongest proponents, prepared to acknowledge and discuss his work at its best and worst.

Featuring Jules’ favorites from each year of his tenure in the second hour is a really memorable touch as are the shout outs from Armin, Marco V, Oakie, Dangerous Dave and Eddie.  All of these are huge names in their own right, highlighting the massive influence Jules has had on electronic music. The Above & Beyond comment really hits the mark though; a radio persona larger than life but down to earth.

Perhaps bold to suggest, but Jules has to be up there in the annals of Radio 1 history with Tong, Peel and co, given the length of his career and the significant backing he once enjoyed from the BBC Radio 1 management team during the ‘golden years’.

Unfortunately, the emotional resonance declines as he heads though years in his retrospective mix. It was disappointing to hear Gladiator feat. Izzy and not the infamous Hans Zimmer - Gladiator (Judge Jules Remix).  That said, it was poignant for him to drop Can’t Keep Me Silent and Alone Tonight both of which seemed very appropriate choices.

I’m not afraid to admit that listening to this has really generated nostalgia in me.  Not the ‘happy nostalgia’ which is marketed and exploited commercially.  Rather nostalgia in the old sense of the word; a deep home-sickness and longing for a time and place which you will never be able to visit again.

Listening to this show has also stirred nostalgia for this board, a longing for the time it was thriving and full of energy with regular new uploads of rediscovered audio, posts and a large following.  Sadly, but understandably, we are left with the resolute regulars doing their best to share knowledge and memories of this time.

To echo Quadrant, a name we haven’t hear from in a long time, thanks for the memories Jules, you will not be forgotten. I wouldn’t have got into the depths of electronic music, DJing or production if it wasn’t for you. While I haven’t given it the energy and attention I’d like to have done, the boyhood dreams of following in Jules footsteps given way to a more humble career, it’s still a considerable part of my life. Huge respect.

The Judge won’t budge.