Judge Jules Crasher Red & Black Classics 13/10/2012

Gregg

So....big things expected from the Judge with a slight expectation that it could all go horribly wrong...which way did the scales tip?

Well, after a great set by Tall Paul & Seb Fontaine b2b, they handed over to Jules and he looked to be in good spirits. What followed next was just pure embarrassment I'm sad to say.

Considering it was a Red & Black night, Jules played for about half an hour without playing anything from the era, instead playing a load of stuff I've never heard of that certainly wouldn't be considered a true 'Crasher Classic' - I can only assume these productions were his latest efforts in the studio and not good ones to say the least. First sign of a classic was Ratty Sunrise and he only played half of that, before mixing it out and playing again, something that just wasn't suitable....Finally he started playing a few of the older tracks, but still picked a poor selection considering the amount of awesome tunes that Jules has cued up over the years. Even then, he was still mixing old and new stuff, so wasn't really consistent.

Has anybody mentioned the 'Somebody screeeam!' samples really do NOT work? I'm sure they have. If you're reading this Jules, and I hope by some miracle you are and take onboard this post, those samples do not work over classics or new material. In fact, they sound bloody awful and you are embarrassing yourself. Stick to your trumpet if you must.

No DJ should be getting booed at a classics night, but I certainly heard a few when Jules finished. Scott Bond took over the headphones and he was certainly welcome considering his promise of not playing anything outside of the 98-99 era and the abomination of a set Jules had just made us sit though, he tore the place apart with pure classic after classic after classic. In fact, I'd go so far to say it's the only true Red and Black set I've heard over the years.

It really does make you think, is it time to hang up the headphones when you can't even string a decent classics set together? Especially when you are booked at a club based on the fact that you helped make all those tunes classics? I really am lost for words as I haven't seen the Judge's normal sets recently, but I really don't think I'll bother again if last night's set reflects his material now. I genuinely think now he's just taking the piss and is quite happy to run his career into the ground.

Oh, I suppose I could mention he didn't really trainwreck any mixes, but the whole set was a complete trainwreck IMHO. Jules has always been one of if not my favourite DJ of all time, but this is the last time I'll mention that...he's making ME look foolish.

Very disappointing.

While I a willing to accept that Jules has an incentive to play some contemporary music to cater for his younger fan base, he really got the balance last night wrong.

Why did every other DJ on the line up understand the design brief (for want of a better phrase) of a 1998/1999 classics night?

Scott Bond though was amazing.

It is a shame but as said above, not unexpected. I hope Jules reads your post Mr Gregg!

We support the Jules of old... thanks god for the Archives on here, at least some of his former magic from the millennium is preserved.

Yes he did, apparently.

Which makes this recent performance very hard to understand.

If I had booked him for a classics set and then he turned up & played current stuff I would be pretty pissed off (and wouldn't book him again!)

So perhaps Gatecrasher knew he wasn't going to play solely classics ... even though it was a classics night ??

And those jingles ... at Gatecrasher??? C'mon Jules, that's sacrilege!!! :rubbish:

All very odd isn't it.

I don't think he's doing this on purpose though, I think he honestly believes it's good.

Didn't he play a proper classics set recently, and a few off this board were at it? Seem to remember people were very complimentary of his set then. So he obviously has it in him, and is fully capable of doing it. He plainly just doesn't choose/want to.

Yes, back in April for that classics night - the tracklisting is here. And whilst it was a cracker, remember @thirddrive (aka W-Unit :)) and myself supplied him with half the tracks for that set....

No one going to see a DJ play should have to supply the tracks for them, pure disbelief from me at this, maybe he thinks so little of older tracks now he has got rid of them or wont ever bother getting digital copies with his millions he has earned over the years.

In Jules' defence Crasher did say in the promo that the night would feature classics from the Red & Black era interspersed with some new stuff - although it does seem that Jules was the only DJ playing any modern material.

We all know that Jules has never wanted to go down the classics set route (unless it really is extenuating circumstances) probably as he doesn't want to become what some of the others on the bill have become - i.e. a DJ who everyone remembers fondly and only wishes to book for classics nights.

That said it must have been so hugely dissapointing to have him on the bill and then to witness the set that Gregg describes - I would have been equally gutted mate!

If Jules doesn't want to play a Crasher classics night then he should tear clear altogether, instead of insisting on modern tracks which, and I will be objective here, do not mix very well at all with the old classics regardless of their quality.

A tenner says that if someone mentions all of this to Jules, he'll reply with "The crowd were really up for it".

Time for Jules to hang up the headphones (already 5 years too late in my opinion) - he's a shadow of his old self, and its just embarrassing watching who was once a superb DJ, struggle on like this.

And as for those "Somebody screeeeeeeeeam" jingles at a Gatecrasher Classics event - that should be an arrestable offence for crimes against music.

A tenner says that if someone mentions all of this to Jules, he'll reply with "The crowd were really up for it".

From what Sy said on the Hardwick board even Jules couldn't masquerade the reactions he got as anything like people being "up for it" unless he refers to them being "up for" lynching him!

V-signs and booing is such a travesty and an undignified thing to have happen to someone we all once repescted so much.

I would never tell him to retire but I agree that he definitely needs to go the commercial route and play the mainstream clubs if he wishes to perpetuate the current level of nonsense he seems to have invested in!

In Jules' defence Crasher did say in the promo that the night would feature classics from the Red & Black era interspersed with some new stuff - although it does seem that Jules was the only DJ playing any modern material.

We all know that Jules has never wanted to go down the classics set route (unless it really is extenuating circumstances) probably as he doesn't want to become what some of the others on the bill have become - i.e. a DJ who everyone remembers fondly and only wishes to book for classics nights.

That said it must have been so hugely dissapointing to have him on the bill and then to witness the set that Gregg describes - I would have been equally gutted mate!

If Jules doesn't want to play a Crasher classics night then he should tear clear altogether, instead of insisting on modern tracks which, and I will be objective here, do not mix very well at all with the old classics regardless of their quality.

Matt Hardwick did 'Future Classics' at a Crasher Sheffield night in April 2006 and it was heavily promoted on the advertising. I must say I had no idea that Crasher had promoted Red and Black to feature new material as well, if I'd have known it was not going to happen, I might not have been so baffled and so gutted when Jules played like he did.

Laid Bare made an appearance towards the end of his set and I never get bored of hearing that. I haven't heard it in a while either, so I have to say one or two tunes were welcome. :-) Half of the stuff Jules played wasn't even new trance though, just filth/trouse and didn't really fit well in between TP & Seb's set and Scott Bond's.

His DJ Poll position doesn't surprise me at all, I'd put money on him leaving the chart altogether unless he starts playing for the real clubbers again and not the boozers.

Speaking of which, there were quite a few people on the dancefloor for Julesy, and to be fair to him, it was clear people were only there for Jules when he came off...he certainly does still pack them in!

I was there :thumbsup:

I had travelled 300 miles (from Penzance) to see Jules play @ GC and must admit l was a bit disappointed that he didn't play a classic set!

However l thought his mixing was fine and l didn't hear any booing from where l was standing. It wasn't a bad set (l've heard worse) and he played some classics, "Sandstorm" , "Madagascar", "Luvstruck", "Silence" etc,.......... I'm bored with the jingles, it's embarrassing so l really wish he would stop doing them :thumbsdown: Unlike most of you on here l still enjoy going to see Jules play and enjoy most of the tunes he plays, if l didn't l wouldn't bother to go and see him :rolleyes:

I had some very bad news when l arrived into Birmingham, my dad had been taken ill and was in a critical condition in hospital so l wasn't in the best frame of mind for a night out @ Gatecrasher but as the saying goes "the show must go on" so that's what l did!

I went to see my dad on Sunday which was very upsetting but at least he is alive and making good progress :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that Chrissie - all I can is, when things go wrong, no matter how dark life seems, remember music will always keep you going, and keep you sane. Hope all goes ok.

As for Jules, I don't mind too much that he isn't at his peak. He has served his purpose for me - showing me the gateway to discovering so much more in the electronic genre. And for that I will always be grateful.

Sorry to hear that Chrissie - all I can is, when things go wrong, no matter how dark life seems, remember music will always keep you going, and keep you sane. Hope all goes ok.

As for Jules, I don't mind too much that he isn't at his peak. He has served his purpose for me - showing me the gateway to discovering so much more in the electronic genre. And for that I will always be grateful.

Too true Quadders, in 2002 l was in a very bad place and it was the music that kept me going, it changed my life and put a smile on my face. I will be forever grateful to Jules for the music and his cheerful voice on Radio 1. Nothing stays the same forever, it would be boring if it did, Jules has had a good innings and now that he has another career it is inevitable that he will do fewer gigs.

I've had a great time going to clubs and festivals to see lots of other dj's and have meet some lovely people along the way so perhaps its time to hang up my dancing shoes and act my age ;)

Thanks Tom and Quadders for your good wishes, my dad is making good progress which is encouraging and we are just hoping he will make a good recovery.

NB As we all know Jules is very unpredictable as you never know what to expect, he could play a fantastic set one week and another week it could be very mediocre.

Yes, back in April for that classics night - the tracklisting is here. And whilst it was a cracker, remember @thirddrive (aka W-Unit :)) and myself supplied him with half the tracks for that set....

I find it very odd that Neuro & W-Unit would need to provide Jules with tunes for a classics set. I think this truly demonstrates what the scene actually means to him. I don't know of any other DJ who has disposed of their record collection whilst they are still playing out!!

All the best for your Dad's recovery Chrissie.

If you still enjoy Jules then, genuinely, I am delighted. Your dedication in travelling so far to see him is highly commendable

To be honest Tom, the only reason l travelled all the way up to Birmingham was to kill two birds with one stone. I have always wanted to go to Gatecrasher so when l saw Jules was playing there l combined the trip with a visit to my brother and sister-in-law's house (in Cheltenham), my dad was also staying there whilst his bathroom was being revamped. It was fortunate that my Dad was taken ill whilst at my brother's house otherwise the outcome would have been very different.

I find it very odd that Neuro & W-Unit would need to provide Jules with tunes for a classics set. I think this truly demonstrates what the scene actually means to him. I don't know of any other DJ who has disposed of their record collection whilst they are still playing out!!

I don't think Jules has disposed of his record collection as such (most of them have been converted to mp3s)

I'm not trying to make excuses for him but It could be that he was too busy to go searching them out. He was taking exams around this time and also had his other commitments.