Trance Nation Library tagging

Aza

Been sorting my music out - mainly putting on my media centre computer as it brings all your content to life with artwork, backdrops etc. It's got me thinking, especially in particular, of how best to categorise my dance music...

Best question I have and would welcome opinion on is the Trance Nation series.

On my iPod, I ripped my Trance Nation (1-5) tagged under the legend himself, Ferry Corsten.

I then ripped Trance Nation Electric and Anthems which was mixed by the other legend himself, Judge Jules.

Now I've also seen this series as Ferry's since he did the first tranche, however, I have other albums e.g. Judge's, Rank 1 and Andy Moore's. But how would you organise them?

Since they're currently under Ferry, I'd like to now open them up to include the others, so how'd you approach it?

I don't like the 'Various Artist' tag since there's a load of stuff I have which are various albums. These deserve an entry of their own. Although it's the label, would you say Ministry of Sound, perhaps?

Edited by Aza

Lol, you're right, I have a bit of an obsession but think Tim can certainly relate to it. We've often discussed tagging individual tracks properly let alone albums.

I think your suggestion is great, I'll give that a go and see how it looks. I'll combine it with Chrissie's suggestion too - naming the albums with who they're mixed by and sorted by year.

Will get some photos up too to show you...

Edited by Aza

• 2 weeks later...

If you think your OCD is bad, i've burned most of Jules' archives to cd (i have a thing about audio quality too which acted as a filter), have then put in track marks, and finally printed out the tracklisting for each cd. :silenced:

I have OCD but I have a completely different version of it, I mean I like my music but if anything it's my OCD relief to play music, jog memories, dance, sing, obsessively want to accumulate records and CDs. The MP3 thing is just a way of listening to it all. I see where you're all coming from. It's what you call "anal".

I don't worry about labelling my mp3s perfectly, I like the real hard copy if poss, and then I'm happy so long as the artist - track name (mix) is on the laptop/hardrive.

My official OCD is much more worrying than mp3 labelling lol. :) However, it all starts somewhere and when I was younger I'd have been just like you all!