Cafe del mar - LIVE!

niikme

Apologies if a repost but in my nostalgic moments on youtube last night I discovered this which blew my mind!!

This has prompted 2 questions.......

1. whats the best old & forgotton trance tune you have found on youtube. Lets make this a youtube music thread! I'll open the batting with Quench - Dreams. I found myself there via that all time classic (that I still have on vinyl somewhere) Lost Tribe - Gamemaster.

2. second question...did all the old classics start out on a keyboard/ midi controller like featured on the cafe del mar video above. In my naivity 20 years ago I assumed most of the sounds that were used came off a looping vinyl (or were ripped off). The old tunes have a warmth and feeling about them you just dont get any more which makes me wonder what level of actual musicality went into them vs the computer trance we often hear on the radio today (this might be a slightly unfair/controversial statement I know).

2. second question...did all the old classics start out on a keyboard/ midi controller like featured on the cafe del mar video above. In my naivity 20 years ago I assumed most of the sounds that were used came off a looping vinyl (or were ripped off). The old tunes have a warmth and feeling about them you just dont get any more which makes me wonder what level of actual musicality went into them vs the computer trance we often hear on the radio today (this might be a slightly unfair/controversial statement I know).

Olden days it was done by looping tape combined with early drum machines. Buy some late 1980s remixes of some Pet Shop Boys stuff and you'll hear it's definitely manually put together! Before that, go no further than the famous Tom Moulton to see what he used to do for his remixes - http://www.djhistory.com/interviews/tom-moulton

I agree with you buy the way that whilst Technology has given us the ability to engineer great sounds, the quality is unfortunately lacking :(

• 4 weeks later...