Little Advise Please

Hardaway

Hi All,

Not been round much lately I know, but your advise on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Been mulling over the pain staking idea of selling my 1210's and all the Vinyl I've collected over the years. (Probably in excess of 10,000 12")

Being a very relucant seller, how will I obtain the best possible price? Ebay? HTFR? (Realistically, I haven't got the time to put the records on Discogs or Cat them individually, as I have explored this option, and HTFR seem to only offer pence when it comes to buying them)

Any advise or idea's please!

PS... I still have a nosey on here from time to time. So not completetly out of the loop.

No amount of money now can replace your music collection. Keep it all! You will have massive regrets in later life.

If you do sell, don't sell in bulk. I know you have 1000s but don't do it, because whoever buys the batch won't value it. Check discogs.com first to see how many others are selling your exact copy of a release, and how many others want it. If you can grade it as M (Mint) or NR (Near-Mint) then sell that vinyl individually via discogs, contacting the "wanters". But I'll go back to my original advice which is don't sell! And make sure your vinyl isn't stored anywhere damp.

:)

It's hard to shift in bulk now because it either has little re-sale value to shops now that CDJs have taken over or it sits in their stock for months/years - and they don't want their money tied up in stock that doesn't shift easily.

If you're in no rush to sell it, you're better off listing it on Discogs or privately on forums and seeing who comes in to buy in small quantity from you. You'll make more money that way - but it'll take ages to shift.

If you're in a rush to sell it, then i'm afraid you'll end up disappointed because you'll get rock bottom prices for it if you sell it altogether in bulk.

I sold a lot of mine individually when I quit DJ'ing - but it took ages and it got to the point that I just had to sell the rest off in bulk because i'd moved to a smaller property and needed the space. I got about £30 for 800 records on Ebay. I even ended up chucking some of the more mass-pressed, better known, records in the bin because I couldn't shift them.

I kept some of my rarer records, or tunes that I couldn't replace on MP3 because I knew i'd regret parting with them until I could replace them digitally. The rest, I managed to replace digitally so I wasn't too bothered to see them go.

Your rarer or more obscure tunes will always sell. Keep those and sell them individually. Flog the more common ones as a job lot on Ebay.

Cheers guys! Some great advise, the main reason for me possibly parting with my beloved vinyl is the fact, I never get a chance too play any of them!

Hardly do any gigs anymore, so in a way I'm a retired DJ, and boy do the records take up a lot of room.

I was almost tempting to put them all on eBay with my 1210's also in one bargain bundle.

Maybe advertise it as...

Free Technics 1210's with the purchase of 10,000+ records!

Don't know if that would work?!

I too wouldn't sell them, but that's just me. The feeling of mixing vinyl can't be surpassed with CD's or digital, and to have the possibility to do so, even just once a year is, well... priceless.

If you must sell the lot, I would think some open house sales over a period of time might be a good way of both getting good prices and maybe even sell a lot of them.

By open house sale I mean that you should arrange to have an open house/apartment event where random people can buy directly from you and where YOU set the prize when people have found what they want.

- Categorize the records by your choosing (label, alphabetic, year... whatever!) It makes it easier for people to find what they want and for you to get something sold! <-- if you already have this, then great!

- Write up a good worded ad so collectors and people with music knowledge know that you have something they might want.

- Put the ad on JJA, Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Tranceaddict, etc...

- Arrange for a handful of good friends to keep you company while you have 'open house', both for security and whatever help you and your "customers" need :)

The only downside I can see to this is that random people (customers) get to know your address (and phone number if you put it in the ad).

Just a thought...

PS. I can't get myself to sell my collection even though it's small and very mixed and I have most of it digitally. If I sell my 1210's some day it's because I REALLY need the money.