New Essential Mix from Jules on September 7th, 2013!

FuzzY-LogiC

I don't understand why anyone would think this essential mix would have been an all classics jobby, there was never any chance of this, Jules still has to promote his himself, and how do you do that, er, play new and current tracks, Jules publicly asking for classic suggestions gave hints a few could be played but that was it, many have got the wrong impression from this alone I guess.

I personally thought Tong still had a lot of input on Essential Mix guests since he thought up the concept back in 1993..

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really hoping for a mix covering his entire Radio 1 career.

Let's hope he does arrange something like that before he hangs up the headphones for good. This E-Mix would have been the perfect opportunity.

That would be good to hear. If he does ever do it, I can imagine it being in the very last year maybe even weeks before he finishes.

I think it's Tong too who oversees the EMix stuff. He voices them all most certainly.

Know what you mean Jason, guess most think back to Jules' R1 days, but yes granted he's still continued to dj with his current sound since that.

That said, the emix typically warrants that extra something special, look at how different djs that have done in the last even when doing a live set. Personally, Eddie Halliwell at Ascension I'm Manchester was just that, he later offerings back on Ibiza all were that much more 'thought out' than a typical sounding set to which we know the dj from.

Jules even used to do this himself, just look back at the previous ones he's done.

Eric Prydz too, he's done a few lately and all individually unique and special.

Also look at Mat Zo's offering, nothing like his mix sets, but it was special and homage to the EMix brand.

Edited by Aza

It's impossible to second guess Jules' tastes and motivations (in terms of DJing) but I doubt he is as motivated by money as some would suggest.

I'd imagine with the savvy investments he's made over the years, the huge pay packets he has collected, the money-spinning residencies, the success of JS in Ibiza & everything else, that money doesn't really come into it anyway. The law career can't pay too badly either?!

If this is the sound that Jules is into then fair play, as has been said we've all moved on regardless & I do not mourn the passing of trance (as we used to know it).

Honestly I have zero desire for a Jules classics mix, now or when he retires.

The archives here are far beyond what a new classics mix would encapsulate anyway. They have that spontaneity, that freshness (despite their age) and that timeless quality which makes them unique and truly amazing.

Jules playing classics (as he did on his final R1 show) would not come close to it and would just disappoint those who tuned in.

Many DJs have tried to trade off of former glories & gone down the classics route and it has done nothing but destroy them (for the most part). Why would Jules want that when he still gets booked plenty and remains (somewhat) relevant?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand why anyone would think this essential mix would have been an all classics jobby, there was never any chance of this, Jules still has to promote his himself, and how do you do that, er, play new and current tracks, Jules publicly asking for classic suggestions gave hints a few could be played but that was it, many have got the wrong impression from this alone I guess.

I personally thought Tong still had a lot of input on Essential Mix guests since he thought up the concept back in 1993..

You are right Jason, he definitely needs to promote himself and the new music he plays. I hope it wasn't coming across as a bitter comment.

I was simply (selfishly) hoping that he would play some classics... primarily because not many of the new tunes really do anything for me... I really wish it was the case though. Maybe I simply haven't given them enough plays.

But hey... for my 'classic cravings' I have an insane amount of audio available through the JJA archives, and even though they might get old, they will never go bad! pun intended :mrgreen:

Oh no I don't think he's money motivated. I would disagree with that. He doesn't seem that way at all, and a close friend of his once said to me "if there were only 1 person dancing, Jules would still enjoy playing music to them."

I believe that.

And although I have great respect for Carl Cox (past & present) he's f***ing boring. Just my opinion, I realise. I'd rather be at a Jules set than a Carl Cox set. FOSHO!

I agree with your comments about both Jules and Carl Cox. About 4 years ago l went to Space to hear Carl Cox but his set was so boring (imho) l left early.

I listened to this Ess Mix today and enjoyed most of the tunes! :thumbsup: