New Essential Mix from Jules on September 7th, 2013!

FuzzY-LogiC

I think some of you hanker after the golden age too much..yes back in the day Judge spun classic after classic..but he does still play some great tunes.

Not all of this mornings mix was great..but there were parts of it I really liked.

Not at all mate! I buy, play out and still have a passion for new music. Unfortunately what Jules has been playing for the last few years is just not to my tastes. But i'm glad you enjoyed some of it. I can't see any Angelic track there though??

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no not much action here during said mix. Think I will play it now, cooking breakfasts. :)

I'm sorry to say I had to turn off after half an hour. Many on here will say this was to be expected ... but imo it was truly awful. :wall:

Does anybody know, is this what he plays at Judgement Fridays?

I have to agree brother, I turned it off after 15 minutes, just not my music taste either.

This had the potential to be legendary with all the classics Jules has at his disposal. Sadly, it was everything I expected it to be - a Trouse/SHM Sound-alike fest with a few classics played a lot slower than they were intended to be played at.

It was nice to hear Judge Jules - Without Love again though. Been a while since I heard that.

As Jason said, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The tunes were tolerable if you like that kind of music. I guess my taste in music has changed over the years - and so has Jules'. Jules has slowed down and gone more Trousey - whereas I prefer the faster, pacier, more "banging" stuff.

I find Jules' taste in music quite 'interesting' for a 46 year old.

£££££££££££'s

It's what all the teens at BCM like these days unfortunately :(

Jules, in my opinion, hasn't played 'club' music for a few years now. He plays commercial bar/Luminar Leisure venue type music. Those "Somebody screeeeeeeam" voiceovers sum up his market perfectly. Nobody wants to hear those at "proper" clubs like Gatecrasher, Godskitchen, etc - but they probably go down a treat at BCM in Majorca or Jumpin Jack's in Skegness.

I find Jules' taste in music quite 'interesting' for a 46 year old.

£££££££££££'s

It's what all the teens at BCM like these days unfortunately :(

Jules, in my opinion, hasn't played 'club' music for a few years now. He plays commercial bar/Luminar Leisure venue type music. Those "Somebody screeeeeeeam" voiceovers sum up his market perfectly. Nobody wants to hear those at "proper" clubs like Gatecrasher, Godskitchen, etc - but they probably go down a treat at BCM in Majorca or Jumpin Jack's in Skegness.

You're absolutely right, i'm sure.

Interesting comments above. I'm still going to give this a listen for sentiment, will share my thoughts once done :)

Here's the set list...

Tracklist:

[00:00] 01. Essential Mix - Intro (02:34)
[02:34] 02. Judge Jules - Laid Bare (Intro) (01:32)
[04:06] 03. Judge Jules - Judgement Theme (02:43)
[06:49] 04. Judge Jules - Without Love (05:40)
[12:28] 05. Klauss Goulart & Mark Sixma - Rio (01:58)
[14:26] 06. Binary Finary & Vegas Baby! - Folded & Molded (05:53)
[20:19] 07. Mat Zo feat. Chuck D - Pyramid Scheme (04:28)
[24:47] 08. Adam Szabo & Johan Vilborg - Two To One (03:12)
[27:59] 09. Lana Del Rey - Young & Beautiful (Zak Moya Remix) (05:58)
[33:57] 10. Judge Jules - The March (05:55)
[39:52] 11. London Grammar - Hey Now (Arty Remix) (05:10)
[45:02] 12. ilan Bluestone & Jerome Isma-Ae - Under My Skin (04:40)
[49:42] 13. Muska feat. Lynn Olsen - Things That Never Change (04:56)
[54:38] 14. Brainbug - Nightmare (Judge Jules Remix) (07:18)
[61:55] 15. Andrew StetS - The Monk (04:38)
[66:34] 16. Judge Jules feat. Christina Novelli - Collide (05:31)
[72:04] 17. Mark Sixma & Faruk Sabanci - Tripod (04:18)
[76:23] 18. Ronski Speed feat. Stine Grove - Run To The Sunlight (05:10)
[81:33] 19. Amir Hussain - Vesuvius (Thomas Ulstrup Remix) (04:54)
[86:27] 20. Judge Jules & Tristan D feat. Ronnie Canada - The Verdict (04:30)
[90:57] 21. Mauro Picotto - Lizard (03:28)
[94:25] 22. Judge Jules & BK - Rumble (06:37)
[101:02] 23. Madeon - Technicolor (04:02)
[105:04] 24. Tilt - The World Doesn't Know (Arty Remix) (03:56)
[109:00] 25. BT & Aqualung - Surrounded (Super8 & Tab Remix) (06:02)
[115:02] 26. Hi-Gate - I Can Hear Voices (04:29)

Edited by Aza

Lol

I think that it was a true reflection of what to expect from a Jules 'main' set nowadays.

May not be our choice of track list, but I doubt any of us would pick the same tracks now, we've all moved onto varying directions. But it seems at some point, back in the day, we were all reading from the same page as Jules. And it was great.

I still like Jules for what he is now, and what he has been. Now I realise, that's two different things.

It's safe to say that Jules would play whatever he feels will make him the most money. In the early 90's it was funk & soul, then house, before jumping on the trance train. Now it's the euro-gash EDM sound. What IS odd is that he would choose to play the commercial bar / Luminar leisure centres that cater to pissed 16-18 year olds on the pull when he could have stuck to the 'proper club' circuit. I would have thought the commercial bar DJ scene is pretty soul destroying, seedy and depressing but would also pay less than proper clubs? Jules could however do 3-4 of these gigs a week whereas perhaps he could only get 1 or 2 proper club gigs in that time frame. Personally I could not face going to those venues week in week out, standing on sticky floors and playing EDM shit to kids downing Bacardi Breezers. These choices have unfortunately burned all of his bridges not only with the big club brands but also the underground scene, of which he was always on the cusp. I admire his unwavering work ethic and respect him for his contribution to dance but fail to understand his choices when, a decade ago, the credible dance world really was his oyster. It is interesting to compare Jules with Carl Cox. In 1999 they were two of my favourite DJ's and I could think of nothing better than to see them smashing it back2back. Fast forward nearly 15 years - they are both still around, both busy and both making plenty of money, and yet they couldn't be more different. Unfortunately only one of them is now held in high regard in credible music circles. Just my opinion.

Oh no I don't think he's money motivated. I would disagree with that. He doesn't seem that way at all, and a close friend of his once said to me "if there were only 1 person dancing, Jules would still enjoy playing music to them."

I believe that.

And although I have great respect for Carl Cox (past & present) he's f***ing boring. Just my opinion, I realise. I'd rather be at a Jules set than a Carl Cox set. FOSHO! 😊

The difference between Carl Cox and Jules is that Carl Cox has always played music that he believes in. He could have made a lot more money years ago by playing the "in thing" - but he didn't. He's remained fairly underground. His music isn't my cup of tea - but the guy has some serious ability.

Jules's sound has changed dramatically over the years. If you were blindfolded and heard a Jules set from 10 years ago, and heard one from the present day, you wouldn't believe it was the same DJ. It's hard to say whether thats because he's opted to play the music that is popular now (and ultimately, where the money is) - or because he's now got Tristan D filtering music for him rather than Simon Patterson.

I'm of the opinion that it's a bit of both. There was an obvious change in musical direction when Simon Patterson stopped working for Jules - but at the same time, Jules knows what he likes. If he didn't want/like what Tristan D was filtering through for him, then he's had the power to replace him with someone that filters music through that he does want/like.

Listened to this emix from start to finish yesterday.

I had on purpose _not_ read the tracklisting ahead so I wouldn't be biased, and I stayed with it to the end... but I must admit I was bored and longed for a snazzy mixture of old and _good_ new tunes. The tunes just didn't do it for me, at all.

The last half hour was the best in my opinion.

I was really hoping for a mix covering his entire Radio 1 career.

I've added it to the archives nonetheless, so grab it there if you wan't it in the collection :)

All in all, I really think this could be his last ever appearance on Radio 1 considering he's finishing in under 4 years if he sticks to his plan. It could of been the final essential mix to span his Radio 1 career like everyone was looking for about the time he left, this time around you have to admit the entire choice and style of tracks was probably Jules' decision alone. I don't think Radio 1 management interfere with one off essential mixes. I didn't think it was all that bad to be fair, and he didn't totally ignore the classics which is a good thing.

Anyway I think he'll stick with this style to the end, even if UK Garage/Deep House/Bass will take over from EDM or not. I don't think he'll be DJ'ing either way when it's in full swing.