1998 -2001 Were you there, do you feel privileged?

treeves

I was 18 in 1998 and was totally gripped by trance. Me and my mates followed JJ around the country for two years totally addicted to his style of music in his radio 1 hey-day and essential mixes. I routinely stayed up till 4am to tape off the radio sets from here there and everywhere, pre internet. Finding this site is great as I can relive a load of the old sets again that I thought had drifted away. Incredible.

Top old school sets for me:

1) Essential Mix Bournemouth International centre - 1998 JJ followed by John Digweed - The set i'll take to my grave.

2) Essential Mix Lotherton Hall 1998. JJ/Pete Tong

3) Essential Mix Lotherton Hall 1999 Paul Oakenfold

4) Love parade 2001, Leeds, JJ live in Round hey park, Timo Mass Majestic

Seems in only 2-3 years, a life time of memories were created, yet in the 10 years since, there's only a handful. I fell like those years are the equivalent to 1964-67 for the flower power/hippies. You were either there or you weren't, and I'm glad to say I was for the emergence of trance.

The music is timeless.

I was too young. I turned 18 in 2006, just as things started to turn 'electronic'.

Although I wasn't able to go out back then I did live the music as much as I could. House/Trance/Garage was my main interest, or dance music in general as to say. The three tracks that caught my interest back then was Double 99 - RIP Groove, Stardust - Music Sounds Better, and the biggest one that made me sit up and take notice was Adagio for Strings by William Orbit in 1999.

After that I caught the bug at an early age and listened to DJ's like Tong, Dave Pearce, a few others on local/pirate stations. And of course Jules on Saturday Nights. One of my main memories is watching Jules on Rapture TV back in 2001, playing at Gatecrasher @ NEC in Birmingham infront of thousands of people.

I lost interest when the EDM sound started up in 2007/8, but have regained a lot of interest now that is fading away with the Deep House/UK Garage sound re-emerging. But it still doesn't create the same buzz as hearing tracks from back then.

Lyndon,

How amusing, Double 99 RIP Groove was the first record on 12inch I ever brought - Great minds......speed garage had about 6 months where it was king in late 97 early 98, the real gem of that collection though was a track called Poppers Presents Aura - Every little time (baby blue remix). Incredible - Pete Tong played in in 97/98 at Escape club Swansea on an essential MIx and it's all I listened too for weeks! I paid a tenna for it on vinyl back in the day and still play it today.

You can catch it here, needs a quality subwoofer to get the best out of it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUX1mjEGOyQ

I've actually heard that once or twice, all be it on a pirate station around here that used to exist back in the early 00's.

Jules Radio 1 show from sound city in October 1997 has to be one of my favorite downloads on here. The quality is a little bad being as it sounds like the cassette was played (a lot) in someone's car, but you can tell it was at that time where speed garage was huge. And trance was also starting to gain bigger recognition. It's the perfect blend between the two, and reminds me of certain times in my life back then and points where I started to notice dance music. It has a place on my headphones, full blast whilst I'm on the treadmill in the gym!

Welcome... :)

Too right feel privileged, as am from the opposit end of the age spectrum :lol:

We were veering that way anyway through early 90s dance and Pete Tong when me and my partner split, but with the 'reinvention' thing after became a taxi for my nephew and his mates and freqented the local dance clubs where people just went to dance not to pull.....good times.

I can only agree with all of you, although it was Jules's Friday night 9-11pm shows that captured me in 97/98 which just opened the floodgates to a plethora of dance genres for me. The musical memories I have from 1998-2001 will never be bettered in my eyes!

It frightened me how short people's memories were and the realisation that this special period was being lost by BBC's non-archiving of Radio 1 tracklistings led me to creating this website and forums you see here today, to make sure we archived and captured the golden era's magical dance moments for others to enjoy and explore for generations to come.

• Like 1