How many times have you seen judge jules play a live set - Can you list them?

Alex

Feeling nostalgic about all the great days gone by, so though I would post a list of every time I have ever seen Jules play a live set since the very first over 10 years ago now aged 19, and invite others to do the same. Maybe many of us will find we were at the same gigs? I have quite a substantial log full of details and some of the momorable & crazy incidents that happend along the way so thought I would share it! I have seen him play 33 times to date, exactly the same number of times as he has been on the essential mix according to Pete Tong! Although most of the time I saw him was back in the day when I was rather obsessed lol. Well done to Tim and any others involved in still keeping this site going after all these years btw! :)

Every Time ever seen Judge Jules play a set...

2004 - 11 Times
2005 - 9 Times
2006 - 6 Times
2007 - Twice
2008 - Twice
2009 - Once
2011 - Once
2012 - Once

1.) Sat 21st February 2004 - The Cross, London - Shook Hand - 1st Ever time saw him Dj after having listened to his show for the 1st time distinctively that I can remember, just a week earlier on the 14th February 2004 while driving on the England/Scotland border with the moment on video, while on the way to see Pete Tong for the 1st time at the Syndicate in Blackpool!

2.) May 2004 - Judgement Sundays @ The Syndicate, Blackpool

3.) July 2004 - Outdoor Music Festival, London

4.) July 2004 - The Syndicate, Blackpool ("Judge Jules July" 1/3 - The words I put to the trance riff of his track "so special" - Mad head! lol - Saw him at the syndicate in July 3 years running and would sing it everytime lol - It became a distintive memory of the mid noughties for me)

5.) Sat 28th August 2004 - Radio 1 Outdoor Stage, Creamfields, Liverpool

6.) Sat 11th September 2004 - Magna Revolutions, Rotheram

7.) Sat 18th September 2004 - Radio 1's One Big Weekend. Perry Park, Birmingham - Lost the car keys so we had to smash the window and sleep in the car!

8.) Fri 24th September 2004 - Pozition, Hull (Spoke From Distance - and am convinced he chose Danzel Pump it up Gladiator remix as his tried and tested tune the following night as I requested it - Also one of the loudest sets of his i've heard in a club except the Syndicate in Blackpool for the bass! He remarked upon it in his diary too.

9.) Sat 2nd October 2004 - The Syndicate, Blackpool (Spoke to after set in DJ booth where he said he recognised me from the previous friday and thanked me when i told him how great his show was!) - He also started singing at the end of his set which I recorded on video!

10.) Sat 6th November 2004 - Garlands, Liverpool

11.) Fri 3rd December 2004 - Sugashack @ The Empire, Middlesbrough - He seemed to keep staring at me, as if to say "is that him again?!" lol

12.) Sunday 27th March 2005 - Tall Trees @ Yarm

13.) Sat 7th May 2005 - Radio 1's Big Weekend, Sunderland

14.) Sat 7th May 2005 - Radio 1 Afterparty, Sunderland - Where I met Tim Traill

15.) June 2005 - Escape into the Park Festival, Swansea - Drove the 350 Miles+ to get there in time to see the last 5 mins of Jules live Radio 1 show and him saying goodbye! - Also followed by Paul Van Dyk

16.) July 2005 - The Syndicate, Blackpool ("Judge Jules July" 2/3)

17.) 30th July 2005 - Global Gathering - Live Radio 1 Show on The Radio 1 Man made beach and outdoor stage! - This is the middle one of all the 33, the absolute peak of them all probably aswell as it was such a high profile event and probably the biggest crowd I ever saw him in. There were dancers, and perfomers and planes flying overhead with coloured exhaust. Jules himself said is was one of teh best DJing moments of his life!

18.) 30th July 2005 - Global Gathering - Trance Set 5am - 6am - One of best trance sets ever heard him play but music was far too quiet!

19.) Fri 26th August 2005 - House Set Downstairs & then Trance Set Upstairs! - Best house set ever seen him play - Promise @ The Foundation, Newcastle (Spoke to outside afterwards)

20.) Sat 27th August 2005 - Creamfields 2005 - Liverpool

21.) February 2006 - Godskitchen @ Air in Birmingham - Also Armin Van Buuren playing - Spoke afterwards and gave him a cd of one of my mashups

22.) Sat 13th May 2006 - Radio 1's Big Weekend Afterparty @ London Nightclub, Dundee, Scotland - Was hanging out back stage in the vip area stood next to him doing a broadcast on a mic - Fooled the bouncers to get in as had the wrong type of wristband on! lol

23.) Sun 28th May 2006 - Time Nightclub, Derby - Was meant to be playing house set, but he played trance! - Pointed out his mistake and he had a whoops look on his face. He signed to say it would sound terrible mixing back and I signed back to suggest he should slow it down gradually - He didn't though lol

24.) Sat 8th July 2006 - The Syndicate, Blackpool - The 2 Mr Saturday Nights of the time of Radio 1 and Galaxy, Jules and Andi Durrant - ("Judge Jules July" 3/3) - Great Night

25.) Sat 29th July 2006 - Global Gathering 2006 - Trance Set live on Radio 1 from the main indoor arena

26.) 28th September 2006 - Hull University Student Nightclub

27.) Sun 8th April 2007 - Judgement Sundays with Mark & Yami @ The Syndicate, Blackpool + House Set Downstairs! - Enjoyed with 3 Dimensional Dancing! lol - Last ever visit to Syndicate in Blackpool :(

28.) September 2007 - Gatecrasher @ Magna, Rotheram - Right at the front of a 5 to 10,000 crowd and in his photograph of the event and on facebook - Last ever time saw him while his show was on Saturday Nights and knew the end of an era was Nigh!

29.) August 2008 @ Creamfields - With Laura. The rest of the crew were watching someone else though! - Good Set and Tidy Boys came on straight after who weren't as bad as i was expecting!

30.) September 2008 @ Eden, San Antonio, Ibiza - Only time ever saw him Dj in Ibiza up to 33rd set. Technically you could argue it counts as 2 as he did main room set, then back room house set. Chatted at the end with my face covered in blue paint by Yorkie and his gang - Must have been f***ed cos was dragged out by bouncer at the end while trying to talk to jules for taking too long to leave and being last one there! lol - Had already spoken to him for a good minute or so 1st though! lol - Didn't want to leave it at that so spoke to him outside Eden after talking about my trubute tune, how fonzerelli was on his flight and how Fonzerelli was doing a remix of the tribute tune i did for his show.

31.) August 2009 @ Creamfields - Suprise "mystery DJ" set in the afternoon as he wasn't officially on the bill - He played stuff from house to drum and bass! - Video of it somewhere with Me, Laura, John, Miller, Lias, and maybe housey too - 1st time ever saw him together with many of them i.e Miller - Last time ever saw him in the noughties and for over 2 years.

32.) November 2011 @ Sessions, Vivaz, SCARBOROUGH! - After all the years and sets of his i saw and travelled to across the country and beyond, he finally came to me for a change! Finally came to Scarborough for the 1st time since I really knew of him well and for the 1st time in 12 years! - Only 4 to 7 years too late though for me in terms of when I would have gone the most crazy for it :( heh.

33.) April 2012 @ The Spa Complex/Theatre, Scarborough - Felt like a farewell set, one last salute to a by gone era as he had just left Radio 1 as well.

I was lucky enough to see Jules in his 'prime'. Exact dates are hazy, but the sets memorable.

He came to our local nightclub (The Grill, Letterkenny, Ireland) at the beginning of his explosion at the early part of 99. I was unable to make it as I worked in another club at the time, (and was still underage, not by much though). The night went down in legend. People dancing on tables, refusing to go home. He opened with 'Flat Beat' (when it was still brand new) and completely destroyed the place. Still hear people talk about it till this day. I vowed that I'd never make the mistake again.

He came back on an unfashionable sunday night in August the same year. The club had a capacity of around 2000 and tickets had sold out weeks in advance. I'd heard of ticketless people trying to break in! Made sure I wouldn't miss this, and he didn't disappoint. It was the first time I'd seen the 'superstar dj' phenomenon in action. And felt it myself, if I'm honest. He needed bouncers all around the dj booth due to the amount of people just wanting to slap his hand! He- every so often- would look up from the decks, single out an outstretched hand among the twenty or so straining to reach him, slap it, then put the head down again to concentrate. It was immense, if I'm honest. I remember noticing his 'quirks' which I thought were awesome at the time- the blessing himself on a breakdown, hands on head, pointing to the sky etc. And I was hooked. The tunes were a bit more experimental than those you would hear on his shows, but nontheless, an amazing night.

Homelands Ireland in September was next (the audio is on this site). This was completely different to the club setting, but amazing all the same. Jules was on at five in the evening, I wondered how it would fare. He banged it out from start to finish. The place was like nothing I've ever seen since atmosphere wise. Just bananas. I think I've said before on this site, but much as we were all indulging in all sorts of 'artificial enhancers' at the event, I could swear Jules was too. He was just like one of us, absolutely loving it. His mixing was iffy to say the least at times which when viewing him live, was understandable. Standout memories were Spoiled and Zigo, Beatbox and playing Horny Horns (which I never was fond if really) and an idiotic mate of mine scaling the scaffolding with an airhorn to play an accompliment to the tune, with Jules acknowledging him, before the security inevitably cut short the performance. Just an immense mad day, with Jules being the highlight.

I next saw him in 2001 (I think) and it was a weird Tuesday night for some reason, but it was still packed, although not with the same levels of hysteria as seen before. I loved it, he played mainly a set of tunes which would make up the 'Clubbed' cd, although with it being a Tuesday, Jules was playing an earlier set and finishing at one rather than closing the night. I asked him when he was leaving and he said he'd a 7:30 flight the next morning. Fair enough.

This was the last time I was passionate about seeing him and went away so enthusiastic about him. Saw him a fair few times since, but never left me with the same impression. The most recent being in 2012, and to be honest, it left me flat. So much so, that he's been back since and I didn't go, which I never thought I'd see. Still, he's been a massive influence to me musically, and I'm glad I was able to be part of it. Wouldn't swap these memories for the world. Great topic, by the way.

Sadly, I never saw Jules in his "prime" - I didn't see him out in clubs until quite late, when bads sets were more common than good sets, although I'd been listening to his sets from the late 90's.

Can't remember all the times I saw him play - but BCM in 2005 was a real highlight. Probably the 2nd best set I'd ever heard Jules do. Started Funky - and finished more Trancey. Quality set all the way through. Absolutely loved it.

Saw him about 3 months after that in Godskitchen and he was horrific.

Another highlight was his first set at Global Gathering in 2006 (he played two that day - a 6pm Radio 1 broadcast - plus a late/early 4am set too). Absolutely loved his first set. Pretty full on from start to finish - and I don't know how many of you have ever experienced, but the atmosphere when Jules comes on 5 minutes before his set to announce the tent will be broadcast live on Radio 1 is something else. The whole tent roars as soon as they know its going out live on air. His second set that day was awful again and generally clumsy - mixing Team SR - Leaving London, into Team SR - Leaving London.

It's really baffling how Jules could be so good one day, and really bad the next. Even on that day at Global Gathering, it was hard to believe it was the same DJ playing. The difference between the first set and second set was madness - one really good, one really bad. Very odd.

Sadly, from then on, whenever I saw Jules, he was awful - with one exception around 2010 when I saw him play a late set at the Ministry Of Sound - and he played a fairly banging set with a lot of old BXR-label sounding stuff - which was really unexpected because by this time, Jules's sets had become much slower and cheesey.

Would have loved to have seen Jules around 1999-2003 time. All of the sets i've got of his from that time were amazing. Sadly, I lost faith around 2008/2009 - and the final straw came in August 2009 when I saw him in BCM. My ears couldn't take the dodgy "scratching" and "Somebody Screeeeeeeam" voiceovers any more.

Eddie Halliwell took Jules's crown as my favourite DJ from then on (who subsequently turned crap a couple of years after that too).

Only once, a few months back. And for a classics night he stunk the place out with mostly appaling mashups. The worst being slapping Ellie Goulding Burn vocals over the breakdown of Cafe Del Mar. It has ruined that classic for me forever now. the other mashups seemed to be either Jules own creations or mashups with this crappy big room house EDM rubbish, one track I remember vividly being ruined byt this was Goldtrix Tripping.

The night had some people younger than me (I am 30) but mostly it were all people older than me that used go to the Karanga nights in Bath in the 90's, and I'm pretty sure they thought his set was rubbish 20 minutes into his set and a lot of people had left, I'd say over half the people there. I didn't see anyone leave during The residents Hudson & Fisher play to open the night, and then take over after Jeremy healy untill Jules ariived (he was late) or even Healys set.

Jeremy Healey absolutely smashed it proper, 2 hours of proper classics done the right way. Jules could learn a hell of a lot from him.

• 2 weeks later...

Good thread :thumbsup:

And wow! not as many as Alex by far, but in his prime late 90's to about 2001. Will have to fish my diaries out to be exact. Our local was Progress at Time or Eclipse....Saw him in Leeds at the Love Parade - I think there's a couple of piccies on here still....