BBC Genome project - Radio Time archives

Neuro

The good people at the BBC have started archiving radio times listings under their Genome project.

Been gold dust for finding out the actual broadcast times for early shows, such as this surprising 4.5-hour Christmas Eve mastermix from Jules back in 1997!!:

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/03bcc6c16b6d4ec5af68f64865c869a0

Now if only one could request the recordings....

• 1 month later...

I recall the BBC listing some of their archived shows in an experimental website called BBC Infax, but that closed at some point in 2008. No audio, but interesting to read the write ups.

The BBC keep most of the shows archived away as far as I'm aware. I think especially for important things like big events such as 9/11 or other world events, or the stuff from the big weekends etc.

I remember someone mentioning on another forum long ago that they kept every Chris Moyles show from 1997 when he started to that date of the post, he discovered this when browsing the internal BBC intranet whilst working for BBC local radio. They might do the same for Jules, but they will never see the light of day anyway.

This is why we love people sending in their tapes for us to digitize and upload to the archives here for everyone to enjoy.

Only a few years ago the BBC dug out Carl Cox's essential mix from Ibiza in 1998 for a re-broadcast on Radio 1. So somebody requested that, it was found and prepared and then broadcast in pristine quality, so audio from BBC Radio from that time does exist...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I remember someone mentioning on another forum long ago that they kept every Chris Moyles show from 1997 when he started to that date of the post, he discovered this when browsing the internal BBC intranet whilst working for BBC local radio. They might do the same for Jules, but they will never see the light of day anyway.

That means we need to find an insider. :lol: