Clubbed 2002

Spin Doctor

I decided to finally get another copy of, in my opinion, one of Jules' highest quality mix compilations, Clubbed 2002. I bought it when it was released but it got nicked my tent at Global Gathering in 2004 or 2005 (along with ISOS 1 and some other classic mix CDs). Almost ten years later I haven't replaced it!

From Discogs it seems there are two versions of Clubbed 2002. The main double mix CD (Discogs) isn't anything new, but it seems there is a second mix CD (Discogs) which is only on one disc. The track list is subtly different from the main double mix but largely features tunes from the former.

Tracklist, copied from Discogs, for the curious:

1 –Sharpside Space Cruising 4:54

2 –Samuel L. Session* Merengue Remixes (Merengue Slam Remix) 3:43

3 –VPL T Break 4:49

4 –Marco Bailey Ipanema (Original Mix) 2:30

5 –BK and Anne Savage Junglise 3:26

6 –Reeloop F***ing Society 4:14

7 –Lucid Out There (Lucid Area 51 Dub) 5:20

8 –Clergy, The The Oboe Song 6:21

9 –Terry Bones Getaway (Original Mix) 5:30

10 –Lounge, The Shades 5:01

11 –Ralphie B Massive 6:58

12 –Minimalistix Close Cover (Original Mix) 5:32

13 –Meteor Seven Universal Music (Jam X And De Leon's DuMonde Mix) 4:11

14 –Ramirez Hablando (Push Remix) 6:36

15 –Solar Factor No Return 3:52

16 –Reysan Khan Shi Du Khan (Mark Shimmon Remix)

Anyone know the story behind this?

Apparently, there was only an Australian and UK release. I am thinking either licensing issues for some of the tunes or perhaps cover CD teaser.

It could be a promo mix that was sent out to promote the album launch a while before it was officially released.

I used to run a Trance forum years ago, and I used to get a lot of freebies and promos through for reviewing. Quite often, some of those would be mix CD's that are changed a later date.

The reason why those changes happen, from what I was told years ago, is that when DJ's want to create a mix album for release, they have to write to each label for permission to use tracks. Although only 30 or so tracks may be used, 50 or so actually get clearance. Quite often, A DJ will want to feature a specific tune - but doesn't get clearance until the very last minute - and as the promos need to go out a month or two in advance, they can sometimes have different tunes to replace those that haven't bene given clearance at the time of the promos going out.

That could be the case with this album - but I'm only guessing.

I don't play these compilations, as it makes me depressed that I'm not back there anymore. I looked at the track listing on here and the tunes popped straight into my head again.

That Solar Factor tune I've got on 12" I used to play it constantly.

I went to Jules' launch party of this too I think.

Top CD!

I didn't know that such approach/things existed - and thanks for the extra info, Briggsy. I think that promo offering looks a cracking mix!

Clubbed 2002 was more a 'darker' mix - going back to almost the original feeling of the first Clubbed mix. Enjoyed 2002 because - for me at the time - it had Jules putting tracks on there that I'd not heard him play on air. I remember I just bought a copy of Till Tears Do Us Part and coincidentally found it on this mix :)

• 2 weeks later...

That Solar Factor tune I've got on 12" I used to play it constantly.

I went to Jules' launch party of this too I think.

Top CD!

I love Solar Factor - "No Return", l've also got it on 12''. Ralphie B - "Massive" is another favourite of mine :thumbsup:

Unfortunately l don't have this CD, :(

Indeed a great compilation!

The very first time I saw Jules was at his second visit to Denmark in the summer of 2002 when he was promoting this very compilation. I recon I have the flyer somewhere with his signature, unless it was lost in the flood a few years back.

Great memories of him playing Shi Du Khan, Close Cover and Universal Music. Good times :thumbsup: