Memory lane...

m_devast8

• 1 month later...

Hello. Yes, it was truly a great era, the likes of which will never be seen again. I imagine the "EDM" scene in America to be much like the vibe of 1999. The Americans, at last, seem to have "got" dance music. Everything has completely changed, and that includes us. I've just made a playlist in my iTunes of all of the old Jules radio shows i have, this site has given me lots of them. They are memories, from what, 16-17 years ago(!) that will always be treasured, and never forgotten, somehow.

Dance music now is so disposable, you hear it one minute, forget about it the next. Every kid now has a copy of FL Studio and can make a tune and stick it on Beatport, of course, using ReFX Nexus for their sounds...just like everyone else. Back in the day, you had to be serious, serious enough to drop about 5-10K on a studio setup, thats before you made a tune and got it pressed up and distributed. That grass roots level has gone now, sadly. When someone has to spend money on getting something going, they make sure its as good as it can be, whereas now, tunes are knocked out in hours, no promotion, no hyping up. Just straight played out and everyone has access to them.

We have to remember, the whole super club thing has well and truly gone. most of the chain clubs are struggling too. People want trendy bars these days that play downtempo tropical house/deep house.

I think the thing that really upsets me is, you can't be a DJ now, unless you are a producer. This in turn just saturates the record market with half baked productions. Anyone notices now also, how, seeing an A-lister is like going to a festival, its all about the show. Its overblown, and too epic now. Its a real shame.

Of course, if you're 21, i'm sure the scene is amazing and all of that, and i'm just a whiney old 30 something harping on...but i don't think it is ;)

Moorman

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely spot on! I was chatting with my mate today about the exact same. All the big clubs with a few exceptions have closed and the whole scene is nothing like what it used to be.

I used to get home on a Friday and start the weekend with jules when he was on after pete tong and before danny rampling and then be out Saturday night before finishing the weekend with dance anthems!

Tunes from back in the day would remind you of either a specific night or certain era.

I listen to new trance and like you say it's so easily forgettable, whereas tunes like dumonde, David forbes etc bring back fond memories.

I guess it just won't be the same as it was! Even on jules Saturday shows where they were live from a summer festival were epic to listen to from the beginning, turning on the radio at 5 to hear jules live from the summer sound system etc will never be matched.

Maybe it's just a gripe from another 30year old but hey it has to be said.

At least there are plenty of sets uploaded on here to keep the nostalgia going a little while longer!

Glad I'm not the only one here thats '30 something'! :ermm: Stumbled across JJ in Newquay a few weeks ago, first time I've been in a club with some 'proper' music for a few years! The last time I remember hearing the man live was Gods Kitchen sometime VERY early 2000s. Great site :thumbsup:

Hey... I'm new too.

Used to spend ages back in my school days, listening to Judge Jules on radio 1, 7 til 9 and 9 til 11 was it?

Recorded a lot of it to tape and then to MP3 (back when that was brand new).

Still have those MP3s and will listen when it feels right. Was just listening when I googled and found this place.

JJ gave me something to look forward to and something to do in those evenings, often I wouldn't be out or didn't know where to go, had no-one around that was interested in it. So I stayed in, listened, recorded.

Good times, it kept me going to a certain extent!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Im 39 this year we had the best dance era late 90s early 2000 was f***in quality will never be the same again. Seen jules at inside out then a moved to London and went gallery gatecrasher all the festivals in the early 2000s was brill. Still love having mad sunday sessions listening to the judge thanks to this forum

• 1 month later...

....am a fogey compared to you guys :lol: but have to agree with the statements. Have danced through the decades to different genres but trance is best, and last, in my book; can't see anywhere for music to develop and have that same impact. As someone said earlier (in the thread) if you're 20 something what's around's relevant and the dogs.

....am a fogey compared to you guys :lol: but have to agree with the statements. Have danced through the decades to different genres but trance is best, and last, in my book; can't see anywhere for music to develop and have that same impact. As someone said earlier (in the thread) if you're 20 something what's around's relevant and the dogs

Chewbs.....l agree with you 100% :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 28 this year, and anything post 2009 just isn't up to scratch. I'd of rather been a clubber back in the early 00s, but I was too young then. On the outside looking in sort of thing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
On 5/2/2016 at 9:21 PM, Chewbs said:

....am a fogey compared to you guys :lol: but have to agree with the statements. Have danced through the decades to different genres but trance is best, and last, in my book; can't see anywhere for music to develop and have that same impact. As someone said earlier (in the thread) if you're 20 something what's around's relevant and the dogs.

it does get very fogey who you have seen I had to get out old magazines i found on line am pretty sure I've seen tall paul tony de vit in  96 100% I know I seen danny rampling on a mix mag tour as i found a magazine cutting online. I know I have seen gatecrasher  on tour maybe scott bond was their who knows. Lisa loud or lisa pin up but which one am not sure.  tom wainwright  or allister whitehead but i can't be 100% sure which one. It's so fogey.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I’m knocking on the door that says 50 and I’m always happy when I remember I danced through the 70s/80s/90s/00s and I’d still be dancing if I weren’t so disabled these days... having said that I do still dance occasionally but it’s a long time since I went all-night long!!  
As much as getting older sucks, if I weren’t old I wouldn’t have enjoyed the 90s the same way as I did!

I’m cool with that xx

:)