JJ RETROMIXES BY BONGOLOID77

https://www.mixcloud.com/anderson77/jj-retromix-june-july-97/

Here is a series of JJRetromixes spanning 93 -99. Some of my favourite tunes as caned by JJ in the respective years, either on his Kiss FM - or R1 shows or out in the then vast expanse of London Clubland and beyond.

SEE FURTHER DOWN THE THREAD FOR RECENT UPDATES TO THE SERIES --- NEW UPDATES BEING ADDED ALL THE TIME

Listening to some of the mixes on here stirred a lot of memories from the 90s. I never really looked back with music, simply because it does NOT feel like 20 fkn years! Not to sound unappreciative, but a few of the bootleg mixes on here from 96 -97 were somewhat underwhelming, and there are LOADS of bangin tunes from the mid to late 90s that really ripped up the dancefloor. These tunes hold some great memories for me, and many never ended up on any available comps or JJ Emixes.

There are a few big tunes that all will recognize, but I wanted to put across a proper set the way I heard it, not just an “anthems” set that most people play safe with … Still bite my lip over how many Kiss shows I used to have on tape that got thrown out by mistake in a big box ... Some crazy memories of Frisky @ MOS, Gallery @ Turnmills, Clockwork Orange @ Camden Palace & The Cross, Divine @ Bagley's, Peach @ Camden Palace, and many others that made 90s clubbing a golden earache! The type of things that went on in clubs back had to be seen to be believed ... with surveillance the way it is now, the esoteric side of clubbing and "who knows" is pretty much gone forever ... I did try to go clubbing a few times over the last ten years, but the mood, attitude, and moreover the music itself has completely changed. In those days it was pumping grooves, with Trance starting to find its way into the "big room - big choon" DJ's sets. I went off of it after 99 and back to Tribal and Breaks.

Mixed live, on the fly, using Traktor. Was quite pissed when I got into this first one, so forgive the couple of blatant missed cue points ... other than that the mix came together quite well. A good representation of what was in JJ box at the given dates/years. My way of saying thanks for a well set out site in honour of the Judge ...ENJOYO ... :D

• Like 1

Mate, just having a quick listen to this.... I'd no idea Jules touched so many of these! I'd heard a lot of these before on local Irish Radio back in 1997 or so, on a show that I used to religiously record every week without fail! I then fell into Jules afterwards as a result later when it disappeared from the air here.

I dunno what Radio 1 was doing at the time, but Ireland gave Mark Kavanagh (he of Tripoli Trax infamy) six hrs live every Saturday nite, from 12 am to 6 on a wet behind the ears national radio station. It started off mellow (I distinctly remember Prodigy's Fat of the Land getting a full play and dissection once before it's release on the early part), banging out proper hard house at 3 (when the clubs emptied) and slowing down at the end again. It only lasted a year or so until the station was sold, but it was pretty incredible for a wide eyed 15 year old. My parents thought I was insane sitting up all night to record it on an every ready set of blank tapes.

Only a bit in but loving it so far, thanks so much. So many memories which I -bizarrely- don't really associate with Jules, despite me knowing most of the tunes!

Ps, would also love a tracklist too if possible, so many tunes here I've lost in a sea of chewed 90 min TDK tapes.

• 3 weeks later...

Can I make the mixes downloadable on Mixcloud without a pro-account? Or I could just send them to this site so they can be downloaded from here if the admins ok with it?

Setlist:

DA HOUSE GANG – GYPSY BOY, GYPSY GIRL (SOL DUB)

DJ DISCO – WE LIKE DISCO

DE BOSS – ON THE RUN

ARMAND VAN HELDEN – WITCHDOKTOR (RAMP?)

WHIPLASH – OVER ME (SHARP DUB)

BABY BLUE – CHILD

TODD TERRY – SOMTHING GOING ON (LOOP DA LOOP)

BOUNCE – OFF DA FLOOR

RHYTHM MASTERS – TAKE A RIDE

JDS – NINE WAYS

WNKIWAX – STATE OF INDEPENDENCE

PROGRESS FUNK – AROUND MY BRAIN

EN – THAT SOUND (MIX?)

DJ DERO – THE HORN (MORTAL WHISTLE)

JAYDEE – PLASTIC DREAMS (MORALES)

GISELE JACKSON – LOVE COMMANDMENTS (LOOP DA LOOP)

POOGIE BEAR – BUZZIN

FUTURE BREEZE – DANCE WITH ME

THREE N ONE – SOUL FREAK

LUSTRAL – EVERYTIME (NALIN & KANE)

DANCE 2 DISCO – DISCO ALERT

JENS – LOOPS & TINGS (INVISBLE MAN)

BLACKOUT – GOTTA HAVE HOPE (D&D)

APOLLO 440 – RAW POWER (BLACK ARK MIX)

TYROME – MONKEY WAY

MOONMAN – DON'T BE AFRAID

BOOMBOYS – GUNSMOKE

DAF – BATTERED

MR SPRING – BREAK IT

AQUARIUS 97

AMOS W MLK – LET LOVE SHINE

• Like 1

Soundcloud is rubbish for Copyright, so I got a Zippyshare account. I never used them, as the file size is quite low @ 200mb. I've had to compress the mixes to 160 to fit them in. Here is the link. http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/cn8Bgv5O/file.html

Next mix up later in week, and will be touching on tunes from 1996. That was a MESSY year! More from 96 -99 to follow. Nice one ...

JJRETROMIX: 96 VOL: 1

More favourites from JJ swag bag o tunes, this time dipping into 1996. A transitional year for House. With harder edged tunes coming through and the release of Introspective of House at the end of the year, which showcased much of what was bangin' and to come in 97. Frisky had kicked off big time @ Ministry and Clockwork Orange raves had some insane nights and line-ups @ Camden Palace and The Cross. Gallery @ turnmills was really making strides with Sister Bliss and Tall Paul ... Graham Gold's Peach always had JJ as guest and Divine put on some great specials @ Bagleys and Loyd Studios ... Mad year for clubbing and festivals.

http://www63.zippyshare.com/v/Ow5oAgK2/file.html

https://www.mixcloud.com/anderson77/jjretromix-96-vol-1/

Top man for the tracklist, a few in there I never knew! Thanks.

Much easier (for me anyway) to listen on Zippy, will give a blast later. In all honesty, it's a year earlier than I started listening to house and trance so will be a bit of a leap into the unknown, but am intrigued, non-the less.

Top man for the tracklist, a few in there I never knew! Thanks.

Much easier (for me anyway) to listen on Zippy, will give a blast later. In all honesty, it's a year earlier than I started listening to house and trance so will be a bit of a leap into the unknown, but am intrigued, non-the less

Its not much different from 97 98 stuff. Some wkd tunes that year ... I was already 3 years into clubbing with JJ, amongst the otherdj's - styles and nights - FM slots I liked. Its always different when you've been through it lol.

Some wicked tracks there, about 5 or 6 I don't know but all bangers mate.

Nice one ... I'll be posting more from that 96 - 99 period on this thread. Cheers :D

And that was just the 96 mix, what a tune to kick of the 96 one, sounds like the Way Out west Mix of Last Rhythm, booom!

Indeedy tis ... JJ came in with that a few times in his club sets and Kiss Shows summer 96. Love the original, but WOW had the Midas touch in that period. Subliminal Cuts was another great one ...

I meant to type 'and that was just the 97 one'

The 96 one has some great tracks I recognise (Loop da Loop, Todd Terry Stretch N Vern,Positive Shah - 'Heaven On Earth', Digidance being the obvious ones I can remember off top of my head )and even more I don't. Cracking once again

• Like 1