1997-10-00 - Judge Jules arrives on BBC Radio 1 in October 1997

DJTomasB

1997-10-00 - Judge Jules arrives on BBC Radio 1 in October 1997

View File

This sound is a kind of reminiscence of Judge´s DJ career landmark. A compilation of several chunks from the Essential Selection where Pete Tong mentions and interviews Judge Jules himself as he joins BBC Radio One crew after he had left KISS 100 FM London Radio Station.
These excerpts are taken from three shows back in the day, chronologically ordered from Fridays the 10th, 17th and 24th October 1997.

Tunes in the background:

Essential Selection Pete Tong 1997.10.10
Olive - 'Miracle' (Murk Club Mix) [RCA]
Liquid - 'Sweet Harmony' (Original Mix) [XL]
BBE - 'Desire' (Age Of Club Mix) [Triangle/Positiva]
Key To Life feat Monica Hughes - 'Faithful (Is It Watcha Want)' (80's Club Rehersal) [sub Urban]
Sex-O-Sonique - 'I Thought It Was You' (Salt City Orchestra Herbie Rides Again Mix) [FFRR]
Inner Sanctum - 'How Soon Is Now' (Speed Garage Mix) [Popular]

Essential Selection Pete Tong 1997.10.17
Busta Rhymes - 'Dangerous' (Album Mix) [Elektra]
Steve Silk Hurley & The Voices Of Life - 'The Word Is Love (Say The Word)' (Silk's Anthem Of Life) [AM:PM]

Essential Selection Pete Tong 1997.10.24
Adam F feat Conrad - 'F-Jam' (Album Edit) [Positiva]
Dave Clarke - 'Shake Your Booty' [Deconstruction]

A big respect to Sbradyman - I humbly used a couple of his and my bits and pieces to put together and restore this as most complex as possible recorded soundtrack of the history.

• 3 years later...

Top share and thanks to all involved.  Really great to hear audio from this era even if it isn't from the man himself.

At the risk of sounding ungrateful for the efforts required to collate and edit the files thought, it would be nice to listen to the original shows these were extracted from. :)

Edited by Spin Doctor
Update after listening.

• 1 year later...

Dear Spin Doctor,

thank you for your words.  No ungratefulness at all. Unfortunately, I reckon, original shows do not exit in the entire lenght anymore. I doubt even BBC has got them. Myself, I never had intention to record the whole regular radio shows, I was just seeking for hot tunes that fitted my vibe. If there was someting I was not into, I pressed stop on my cassette recorder back in the day.  In the mid and late 90´s I wouldn´t have imagined I would be desperately looking for my old cassete and video tapes with radio broadcasts on them and would spend enormous portions of time on the internet to track down anything to go with the dance music history in the nineties.

As Judge Jules had left KISS 100 and arrived on BBC R1, frankly, it was not anything "so" special for me at that time. I was in my twenties, and now I know, too young to see the significance of that moment. 

I am so so happy JJA community exists and, for instance, moderators have unveiled here and let us to rewind the first ever Judge Jules BBC R1 show in October 1997, simultaneously I do regret I will probably never be able to listen Julesy´s last ever regular show on KISS 100. It must have been emotional!

I still have some more bits and pieces of Judge´s BBC radio shows from the 90´s to be converted into mp3, hopefully I digitize them soon and post them.    

On 3/3/2021 at 11:55 AM, DJTomasB said:

simultaneously I do regret I will probably never be able to listen Julesy´s last ever regular show on KISS 100. It must have been emotional!

Don't be too sure about that... I am amazed by the audio that still surfaces every now and then!  :)

I know there can be some very dry periods and dare I say it, I have some audio that is not uploaded yet... It's coming, just very slowly as I dig through my many old harddrives (backing up and sorting).

I am still feeling hopeful for more Kiss recordings as I too would love to hear more from that Jules era! :)