Judge Jules, Glasgow 30.01.2010

Chrissie Brown

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:05 PM

Craig, on 08 February 2010 - 09:15 PM, said:

you were in glasgow????!! what did u think of glasgow?

i never went on 30th, had a few other options.

Yes l was in Glasgow and l loved it! It was a pity l wasn't there longer as l would have liked to have had a good look round the city during the daytime, perhaps I'll get the chance next time! When l was on holiday in Ibiza (last Sept) l got chatting to this girl called Moira and she invited me up to Glasgow to see Jules at the Arches. l booked my flight from Exeter to Glasgow at the beginning of Nov and then shortly afterwards it was announced that the Arches was going to be closed for a couple of months due to maintenance work on the railway bridge so the venue was switched to the 02 Academy. Everyone has told me how good The Arches is so l must go up there again. BTW Its 560 miles from Penzance! :lol:

It was a good night, Marcus Schossow played first and got the crowd going by playing some excellent tunes and Eddie Halliwell was pretty good too. He stayed on the stage for most of Jules's set and the pair of them messed about and were having a good time. Eddie came down from the stage and stood in front of the barriers and signed autographs and had his photo taken with some of his followers. Simon his brother was there too and he came over and spoke to me ( l've meet him a few times in Ibiza so he recognized me). However it was bitterly cold in the Academy, both our hands and feet were numb with the cold and we didn't warm up until after Jules came on at around 1.30am. Moira is a big fan of Eddie's and Marco V and goes to all the big festivals both in the UK and abroad and everyone knows her. I found the Scottish crowd very friendly and the atmosphere was very good with lots of chanting and yelling going on and drink flying in the air too! We were up the front and the smoke machine was pretty awful as it was blowing smoke directly onto our faces which wasn't very pleasant as it took our breathe away and smelt awful too so we moved to the side of the stage away from the smoke. Jules was enjoying himself and played some great tunes (2 were awful, Snow Patrol's "Just Say Yes" and Wickerman's "Crazy World") Jules and Eddie made speeches at the end of the gig. I've got a couple of short vide os which l will try and put up on here or on my facebook page. Sadly it was all over by 3am :( We got back to Moira's at 4.30 after dropping a couple of her friends off in other parts of Glasgow. We got up at about 12noon and then went shopping for a few hours which l enjoyed and then we just chilled out in the evening as Moira had to go to work the following morning and l had to leave early to get to Glasgow Airport for my 10.45 flight back to Exeter.

I flew back to Exeter Airport on Monday morning with Flybe Airlines. There were only about 40 people on the plane and as soon as we landed l went to baggage reclaim saw my case on the carousel so l grabbed it, took it to my car and was back home in Penzance two and a half hours later. I went to open my case and when l couldn't open it realised l had picked up the wrong case :o :redface: I rung the airline and they contacted the woman who had mine. She was unaware of the mix up (the cases look identical) as she hadn't tried to open the case up. She had gone to the ladies before going to the baggage reclaim area so by the time she got there l had already left with her case and as my case had come out last she naturally thought it was hers. What a nightmare, that mistake cost me dearly both in time and money as l ended up having to drive all the way back to Exeter Airport that night to exchange the cases, a round trip of 240 miles which took 5 hours and cost me £35 in petrol. I had driven 360 miles that day so l was shattered! I'll never make that mistake again. The airline suggested the other lady and l meet halfway but the other lady wasn't able to do so until Sat (5 days later) which was no good to me so l drove up that night. I did have a brightly coloured ribbon tied to the handle but it got wet so l took it off and forgot to put it back on again. Silly me. :redface:

What a sterling effort to travel all the way from Cornwall to Scotland for a night out! :thumbsup: The Arches is definitely worth a trip in itself - I've had many happy a night there.

Shame about the bag mix-up at the airport but also lucky really that you could do a straight switch...

What a sterling effort to travel all the way from Cornwall to Scotland for a night out! :thumbsup: The Arches is definitely worth a trip in itself - I've had many happy a night there.

Shame about the bag mix-up at the airport but also lucky really that you could do a straight switch...

I'll have to go back again as l must go to the Arches, its a must as l've heard so much about it. :thumbsup:

I was very lucky with my case as it could have been much worse; l dread to think what would have happened had she been travelling onto another destination ; ie; abroad. ;):o

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chrissie, Glad you made it up to Glasgow to experience the atmosphere. Its a real shame that The Arches was closed at the time you came (incidentally, its due to work being carried out to Central station above - they are building a new platform for the Airport Rail Link which has now been shelved - don't ask!!!), but I'm sure the atmosphere was just the same in the Academy. I presume you managed to speak to Jules as I'm sure he would have been impressed with the effort you made to go and see him.

What a nightmare about the bag! Whilst I was reading your report and you mentioned the bag, I was worried you were going to say that something had been stolen from it, or it had been damaged. So I suppose it was a hassle retrieving it, but it could have been worse.

I hope you manage to get back up soon and visit The Arches. Its always worth trying to pick a night that is likely to be busy, as it is a venue that can alter the size by opening a specific amount of arches depending on ticket sales. Its only when its fully open you really appreciate it - ie you lose all your mates, can't get a phone signal and spend the full night alone!!!