1999-12-31 - Essential Mix #16 - Judge Jules, Live from Gatecrasher, Don Valley Stadium, Sheffield

Gregg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If memory serves me right, Radio1 had something like a 12hr broadcast that night, and had Carl Cox live from a beach in Australia early on. He was playing on 3decks, and the wind kept blowing the needles all over the place. A night for technical problems all round, on prob the biggest damp squib of a night ever!

the hwole broadcast was aazing i thought. I'd never heard anything like it. From memory, Fatboy Slim, Carl Cox, Julesy, Pete Tong, Fab & Grove had sets. I would have loved to have taped it, but 12 hours is a lot of tapes. For the record, i cannot remember NYE that year, thats how good mine was!

I think Carl Cox was the only person on earth to see in the millenium twice if I rem right. Oz was 1st place to celebrate it, then he flew somewhere else to ring it in again. Dont rem where tho. Yeah mines was pretty good too, but by damp squib, i mean clubs charging £50 to get in, and everyone having house partys. (The Millenium Dome was a big flop if I remember right). No complete meltdown of all things electric was nice aswell!!

thats it! Coxy played Australia and then somewhere in Hawaii didnt he? I think Oakenfold played aswell. Yes, we had a house party too. Even the ritzy's at the time were charging £20-30 to get in down out way!! We had the broadcast playing at the house party at the time, and admittedly, i was too bladdered to even think abot recording it. Wish i did now though.

I mainly remember the excitement mainly though, even through the radio you could feel it on the evening. Some very happy days.

I think Carl Cox was the only person on earth to see in the millenium twice if I rem right. Oz was 1st place to celebrate it, then he flew somewhere else to ring it in again. Dont rem where tho. Yeah mines was pretty good too, but by damp squib, i mean clubs charging £50 to get in, and everyone having house partys. (The Millenium Dome was a big flop if I remember right). No complete meltdown of all things electric was nice aswell!!

Hmmm the pilot must've seen it twice aswell then, unless Carl Cox IS a pilot? ;)

What was the line up that night? And did the decks skip in everyone's set or just Jules's? <_<

Jules, Oakenfold, PVD, Sasha, Bond, John Kelly, Tall Paul, Chemical Brothers from what I can remember.

They had loads of problems with the music after they had to turn it off just after midnight and restart, the sound was crap on the right hand side of the stadium and Jules was getting some right stick during his set as I think one of the decks messed up - you can tell if you listen to it, one tune sounds good and then one bad etc (around all his hi-gate ones and transa)

I seem to remember something having probs on NYE, in fact wasn't it Gods, Ministry and GC all accused of rip offs etc, I think particularly GK as they were even mentioned on Watchdog by Anne Robinson asking other people who had probs there to get in touch. But I doubt that many GK goers at the time were watching Watchdog on a Monday evening. :D

I seem to remember something having probs on NYE, in fact wasn't it Gods, Ministry and GC all accused of rip offs etc, I think particularly GK as they were even mentioned on Watchdog by Anne Robinson asking other people who had probs there to get in touch. But I doubt that many GK goers at the time were watching Watchdog on a Monday evening. :D

Oakenfolds set from GK got cut off either half an hour/hour early on radio 1 due to problems, not sure about in the club though

Glenn, Oakey played at Home in London on NYE 1999. It was a year later when he played Gods; the set was about 20 minutes late starting, so the RnB show (can't rememer what it was called at the time) played over.

Gods was rammed to the hilt that night. You could barely move.

Yeah and people complained BIG TIME and so they should, whats the point of paying the prices people paid for Millenium eve club tickets only to be rammed to death and actually put in danger, imagine if there had been an emergency such as a fire. Tut tut!!!

Glenn, Oakey played at Home in London on NYE 1999. It was a year later when he played Gods; the set was about 20 minutes late starting, so the RnB show (can't rememer what it was called at the time) played over.

Gods was rammed to the hilt that night. You could barely move.

My memories not always like it used to be!

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This was always one of my favourites, still got the tape of this somewhere :)

The soulsearcher remix was apollo 440 can't stop the rock vs soulsearcher can't get enough, i've got the white label and it's just 'Can't Get Enough' on the sticker in black text on a white sticker, so no name as such for the artist.

• 5 months later...

Great tunes but poor old Jules (& the other DJ's). Given what Gatecrasher was charging for this night I think it's pretty obvious that they really should have tried harder. It's not rocket science to ensure that the decks & mixer are working properly. Probably all too busy doing lines, drinking champagne and counting their money to really care about the night itself! No wonder there was a backlash against the 'superclubs' after the millennium.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know where i might find any more files from the same night, I've got my hands on Sasha's set which i remember listening to in the car on the way up/down to Don Valley.

Oh any BTW when they said itwillalwaysbewithyou they meant it.

Just started listening to this now and i can even remember where i was when JJ dropped Airwave, legging it down to Tensile 1 like a madman.

• 1 month later...

That night at Crasher was a mixture of triumph and disaster - the Chemical Brothers seemed to blow the right speaker stack, but when tall Paul came on after and played Lizard it was all forgotten - as long as you were on the left! Then some idiot climbed the rigging at midnight and interrupted PvD (who punched the climber in the face after security coaxed him down). He said on the mic how he'd been working on the midnight track for months. Sadly it turned out to be a Robbie Williams "Millennium" mashup... then we waited ages for For an Angel...

Such a cold night too - and the "temperature controlled" largest tent in the world - the "Tensile 1" was open air and it was freezing! People ended up climbing into the broken speaker stacks to keep warm next to the generators.

When Jules came on I was hoping he could save the last part of the night - and save it he did! Transa - "Supanova", Rank 1 - "Airwave" amazing stuff. I'd only managed to find Airwave that week on import from Holland. Still got those vinyls.

Great memories - thanks for sharing the set!

Also, on the Eye-to-Eye - it was a Lange/Alex Gold collab I think after the success of the bootleg and Xtravaganza signing it. Alex Gold did a set at my Uni and hammered the track about 3 times in one night.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone have this show recorded in a quality thats better or at least resembles the one we have here?

The actual recording is quite good, but the mp3 is only encoded at 96kbps and I would personally love to get my hands on a higher quality version.