Cream anthems/Tonedeff

Number2Fan

Well I had a very good night on Saturday night, was very excited about the Cream anthems idea, seeing Tall Paul, Seb Fontaine, Brandon Block, Nick Rafferty and Russ from K-Klass, I am a bit of an anthem queen and was also hoping to meet Seb Fontaine too. Very excited. However it didn't all turn out quite how I imagined. It was the Launch night for not only a new club in Ashford - Kent but also launch night for the new Kent promoters Tonedeff uk, and a few little issues I had were that even as VIP's we weren't let in until 10.15+ when the regular clubbers were also being let in, even though Brandons set started at 10pm, this meant that not only did we miss his arrival and some of his set, but poor Brandon was playing to an empty dancefloor. An empty and very BRIGHT dance floor, BUT brandon did play a great housey set, not too many anthems involved, do remember energy flash, gat decor, that was about it.

The club did look amazing though, great set up, absolutely huge, fabulous lighting, but I feel it needed a smoke machine much earlier than it got used, especially as it was Ashford and there were a few sorts in there that weren't really there for the dancing, it did give an air of paranoia, I think to really get going maybe the club dancers could have started dancing a little earlier too, as everyone was feeling a bit uncomfortable and had been queuing to get in for a while.

It did get going though and then Nick Rafferty was on, playing Josh Wink, lots of dancing then K Klass was on.....he played a great party set, obviously played Let me show you, and rhythm is a mystery, someone also played for an angel, insomnia, born slippy, "the black eyed peas" in fact I heard born slippy 3 times :( I've seen Underworld perform Born Slippy, and Faithless live doing Insomnia so it didn't live up to that I'm afraid. Nick Rafferty was great and then he played Kings of Leon, which went down well, just as well as the black eyed peas did, but both tunes I don't wanna hear in a club and both were even more vocal versions than the ones Jules played. But crowd reaction was very good. :) So prob worth playing for any DJ. Also heard, Robin S and a brilliant version of Blue Monday that Nick Rafferty played! K klass played laidback Luke break the house down :D

However all was fab as Seb Fontaine took over the decks, instantly hearing his bassline kick in after the more light hearted K-Klass, I went to the front on the dancefloor for Seb, there was plenty of space, and some big bouncing balloons and a dry ice cannon, Seb played Cowgirl and then an absolutely amazing set, midway he played the black russian fest edit of La roux and down the front the sound system and bass of that was AWESOME, it was also great sounding up on the VIP dancefloor that overlooked the DJ stage, but we were cleared off of there, and round the corner the sound system wasn't so great, turning all vocals into Happy hardcore sounding vocals, but luckily Seb was nice and bassy, I'm sorry I don't know what else he played, but it was all good. I'd defo go there to see him again. He did have an entourage too, ;) I didn't get to have my photo taken with him, nor meet him, which I am a bit disappointed about tbh, but I was a little too start struck when he walked past me the first couple of times, and I was feeling a little old and ugly att, so maybe next time I'll brave it and jump out on him. :) He finished on a famous anthem but I dunno what it's called...sorry! I can sing the tune to ya though ;)

By the time he finished it was 4am Tall Paul was playing, I think he played stuff he used to play, but my partner had an hours drive ahead of him and wanted to leave, so after half hour of Paul (whom I've seen lots of times) we left. The club was emptying quite a bit by then, but Tall Paul is popular and was keeping the party atmos when I left.

So ... great looking club, promising promising stuff, gonna go again, hopefully they will get a bit busier and manage to use warm-up DJ's, but I have to say everyone's set was timed perfectly in order of eachother, drinks were NOT expensive, bar staff were friendly and helpful, some of the security staff were a bit full on though, but it was a launch night and I guess trouble was the last thing anyone wanted.

BTW it was f****** boiling up in the VIP balcony a couple of fans are in order there.

Here's a few pics, a video link will follow. More pics to come. Anyone on Facebook. Kissdafunk on Halloween and Gatecrasher on NYE all in Kent, which is amazing in itself, as we never get a top name DJ in Kent. (still an hour away from my home though..) :(

9731_149872207807_816487807_2550504_2559256_n.jpg9731_149870142807_816487807_2550495_3858727_n.jpg9731_149863802807_816487807_2550456_3583765_n.jpg9731_149858962807_816487807_2550431_4256536_n.jpg

Photos are from the Facebook page for TONEDEFF UK where there are many more pics, but I thought you'd be most interested in what the DJ's looked like. :)

He's always looked that way to me, he's got a little greyer and Seb has certainly got a bit wider. The guy at the bottom is Nick Rafferty and so the other guy is Russell Morgan from K-Kass, who keeps saying how much he loved it and got a good feeling from the crowd :)

Also I remembered hearing delerium, and soulsearcher since, but not the usual mixes, in fact it was all NEW mixes of all the tunes, I think.

Well not all, but definitely MOSTLY!

Haha yeah but then I spotted that line-up and thought "OMG what better way to go out than with Seb Fontaine and co! " Typical, I go to give up clubbing and some bastard opens a super club down the road, 20 yrs later than I needed it! :)

Most hitches are resolved now aswell I beleive re: queuing, etc! So I'll be going again!

Seriously considering some earplugs though, I was deaf for a day or two after, very loud ringing!!!

Seriously considering some earplugs though, I was deaf for a day or two after, very loud ringing!!!

Well what do you expect, the promoters are not called TONEDEFF for nothing lol

BTW Many Thanks for a really interesting report and also for the photos.

• 1 month later...

yeah nice report this, only just seen it. I think you'd be very wise to take earplugs next time if ur ears were ringing for more than a day afterwards. That definitely means it was loud enough to do some damage. Sounds like it was a cool night though.

Hmm Im wanting to go clubbing now. haha

Archived